Benetti to Tigers

BBaum21

31 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'm gonna still watch the Sox because they're my sunk cost fallacy and I know that I have a longer expected lifespan than Jerry.

I do wish I could watch the Mets though. If I could, I'd definitely be deviating. My sister-in-law didn't like baseball until she started dating her boyfriend, but because of their announcers she enjoys watching their games.

My dad did tell me he's gonna start watching more Dbacks games however, because he's just tired of the Sox nuking every shred of goodwill that they have.

This is really the crux. Benetti leaving is one thing, but leaving for the Tigers is another. And leaving because JR didn't want to pay one of the best of the best that actually wanted to be here. And or didn't like his style etc etc.

JR nuking every ounce of goodwill left for his baseball team is what has so many of us at the breaking point. Losing one of the best announcers in the game is that proverbial straw breaking the camel's back. It's not just this, it's every goddamn thing that came before it. It's the culmination of a thousand paper cuts as the old man bleeds the fanbase dry.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

This is really the crux. Benetti leaving is one thing, but leaving for the Tigers is another. And leaving because JR didn't want to pay one of the best of the best that actually wanted to be here. And or didn't like his style etc etc.

JR nuking every ounce of goodwill left for his baseball team is what has so many of us at the breaking point. Losing one of the best announcers in the game is that proverbial straw breaking the camel's back. It's not just this, it's every goddamn thing that came before it. It's the culmination of a thousand paper cuts as the old man bleeds the fanbase dry.

And my dad is someone that went to a Desert Dogs game last night! But when he was driving there he asked me "why am I even going to support this team?"

I told him it's because he's been invested for 69 years and because he loves baseball. 

But for the people that won't do a hard jumpship to the Cubs, it can very, very easily be a slow breakaway for others unless failed director of player development-turned-rookie GM Chris Getz does the mother of all turnarounds.

Burning all the goodwill and then diving into another rebuild is how you kill a fanbase.

And the cherry on top is that Reinsdorf had the perfect opportunity to grow the fan base numerous times since 2019, but decided to botch it every. single. time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Quin said:

And my dad is someone that went to a Desert Dogs game last night! But when he was driving there he asked me "why am I even going to support this team?"

I told him it's because he's been invested for 69 years and because he loves baseball. 

But for the people that won't do a hard jumpship to the Cubs, it can very, very easily be a slow breakaway for others unless failed director of player development-turned-rookie GM Chris Getz does the mother of all turnarounds.

Burning all the goodwill and then diving into another rebuild is how you kill a fanbase.

And the cherry on top is that Reinsdorf had the perfect opportunity to grow the fan base numerous times since 2019, but decided to botch it every. single. time.

You can make that claim going back to immediately after the 1983, 2001 and 2005 seasons as well.

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You media people are about as delusional as it gets.

Yeah I'm a fan who blogs and does podcasts. There's a huge difference. 

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Oh no, someone has a different opinion about a guy in the media who's a friend of mine so they must be dumb.

As someone who liked benetti, this commentary about people stopping watching and following over a announcer is embarrassing at best. I watch baseball for the game. I go to games where there are no announcers and I enjoy it even more. I often mute games on my tablet so my wife can watch tv... because I'm a fan of baseball.

Benetti is going to be just fine. He doesn't need his media buddies to go defend his honor everywhere. In media, some people like you and some don't. People aren't idiots for disagreeing with that. 

I've never met Jason Benetti. I'd never stop watching games over the loss of an announcer. That's insane. The product will be worse because of this though and it was avoidable. That was the whole point. Thanks for the diatribe though. I'm entertained. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah I'm a fan who blogs and does podcasts. There's a huge difference. 

I've never met Jason Benetti. I'd never stop watching games over the loss of an announcer. That's insane. The product will be worse because of this though and it was avoidable. That was the whole point. Thanks for the diatribe though. I'm entertained. 

That's what I don't get. They lost a guy who if he wasn't an announcer, was such a huge fan  of the White Sox, he might have been a Soxtalk poster. He has what he as said was his dream job and he up and leaves to Detroit of all places.  It's just a sign of how messed up the organization is. And if anyone thinks the position will be upgraded, they haven't paid attention for a few years.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, FT35 said:

I definitely respect that.  I’m sure he’s a great person too—the on-air act just never landed with me.  People do come across differently in other people’s eyes.  He came across cheesy and corny to me.  I think we should be giving people more reasons to take us seriously at a time like this rather than more reasons to write us off as the clown show the broadcasts often turned into.  This is not going to be an easy fix.  They keep putting more and more lipstick on the pig.  They need a rebuild AND a rebrand IMO.  

I agree that he came off cheesy and corny at times, but that's the real Jason and he never tried to be someone he's not, which makes him Identifiable, and I don't think anyone is questioning his passion.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
UL
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Because that’s the type of stupid thing that should cause the ridiculous outrage we’ve seen the last 24 hours, in my opinion.

Why do you keep pretending that Benetti is the only thing driving this outrage.  I know you don’t like Jason for your own PMed reasons but you should be able to compartmentalize that and understand, instead you are parroting the dumbest s%*# over and over in this thread waiting for people to come around to it or whatever.

It’s not just Jason Benetti.  It’s everything.  Jason is a final fucking straw

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Why do you keep pretending that Benetti is the only thing driving this outrage.  I know you don’t like Jason for your own PMed reasons but you should be able to compartmentalize that and understand, instead you are parroting the dumbest s%*# over and over in this thread waiting for people to come around to it or whatever.

It’s not just Jason Benetti.  It’s everything.  Jason is a final fucking straw

On the field stuff is really the only thing that matters to me. If somehow they turn this around in two years, no one is going to care if it’s Benetti or Monaco or Julie Dicaro announcing the team.  Like I said, last straw would be making asinine decisions for actual player personnel. I also wonder if Stoney and Benetti had a falling out. You would think Stoney could have influenced Reinsdorf to keep him around if he really wanted.

• TLR 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

On the field stuff is really the only thing that matters to me. If somehow they turn this around in two years, no one is going to care if it’s Benetti or Monaco or Julie Dicaro announcing the team.  Like I said, last straw would be making asinine decisions for actual player personnel. I also wonder if Stoney and Benetti had a falling out. You would think Stoney could have influenced Reinsdorf to keep him around if he really wanted.

Ok, this is great and all but that’s not really what you are saying.  You just keep repeating “I DONT KNOW WHY EVERYONE IS SO MAD JASON IS GONE” like it’s the only thing that has happened 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Ok, this is great and all but that’s not really what you are saying.  You just keep repeating “I DONT KNOW WHY EVERYONE IS SO MAD JASON IS GONE” like it’s the only thing that has happened 

Oh believe me, I get why everyone thinks JR and the Sox org sucks.  I originally have 50,000 posts saying the same thing.   Again, it’s all my opinion, but the hyperbole since it happens has been mind blowing to me.  We all know this franchise is doomed until there’s a new owner.

I am not sure what all the faux outrage over Bennetti is about here. He was never that well liked on this forum. He wasn't fired by the White Sox. He decided to look for more money, more flexibility to do national broadcasts, and more days off. Sox on the other hand, didn't want a play by play man that required several days off at whatever price he was asking. They also did not want to be forced to fill in several dates with guest broadcasters which is not easily done. Moreover, we don't know what might have gone on behind the scenes that may have caused some issues between him, Steve Stone or other members of the broadcast  team or management. At the end of the day, good luck.  It's just that this feels so weird to be happening right now and I am left with feeling that may be more to this than we know about.

• Like 3
  • TLR 2

28 minutes ago, tray said:

I am not sure what all the faux outrage over Bennetti is about here. He was never that well liked on this forum. He wasn't fired by the White Sox. He decided to look for more money, more flexibility to do national broadcasts, and more days off. Sox on the other hand, didn't want a play by play man that required several days off at whatever price he was asking. They also did not want to be forced to fill in several dates with guest broadcasters which is not easily done. Moreover, we don't know what might have gone on behind the scenes that may have caused some issues between him, Steve Stone or other members of the broadcast  team or management. At the end of the day, good luck.  It's just that this feels so weird to be happening right now and I am left with feeling that may be more to this than we know about.

Rational and welcome.  A petunia in an onion patch.

• Haha 1

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

It's like the Antonio Brown list, which is worth a read.

Let's just start from after the World Series.

• 2006: Gets rid of Frank Thomas. Thomas finishes 4th in MVP voting in 2006. 
  • After opening a hole in CF by trading Rowand for Thome, they trade top prospect Chris Young for Javy Vazquez. 
    • Brian Anderson is bad.
  • Despite a monstrous offense powered by home runs in 2006, barely miss the playoffs.
  • 2007: Thanks to Kenny gutting the farm system and marquee free agent signings like Darin Erstad, they get old and bad.
    • Kenny's pseudo-rebuild/retool is built around top prospects like Josh Fields, Jerry Owens and Danny Richar.
    • The first round picks are all "safe" guys.
  • Sox miss out on acquiring Miguel Cabrera because Jerry doesn't want to take on Dontrelle Willis' contract.
  • 2008: They get to the playoffs but their MVP candidate breaks his hand cause he was angry and punched a bat.
  • KW Jr. drafted in the 6th round.
  • The Sox trade re-acquired Gio Gonzalez and Ryan Sweeney for Nick Swisher. 
  • Dave Wilder scandal
  • Swisher is shipped out after one year because he's toxic as hell.
  • 2009: Ozzie is getting on Ozzieball now. Rios is brought in to replace Dye. Thome is shipped to the Dodgers.
  • Beckham looks like the future at 3rd base, but the Sox decide they need Mark Teahen because even back then, they enjoyed trading with the Royals. Getz and Josh Fields are traded to the Royals. This creates a disastrous butterfly effect.
  • Sox pick Jared Mitchell ahead of Mike Trout cause Jerry hates high school players.
  • 2010: Sox trade Daniel Hudson for Edwin Jackson. Hudson is still pitching.
  • Because of Teahen, Beckham becomes the second basemen. He later talks about how this kinda played with his head.
  • The rotating DH
  • Ozzie and his kids become a distraction.
  • 2011: Adam Dunn
  • Ozzie negotiates with Marlins to leave mid-season
  • 2012: Robin Ventura hired despite no managerial experience.
  •  Jerry lets Buehrle leave for a reasonable contract
  • Trade Chris Devenski for Brett Myers
  • Trade Eduardo Escobar for Liriano
  • 2014 and 2013 are just sad, but can be summed up with stuff like Jeff Keppinger and Adrien Nieto
  • 2015: Sox go big!
    • Melky signing
    • Adam LaRoche
    • Trade Semien, Phegley, Bassitt and Ravelo for Samardzija and Ynoa
    • Sign Robertson but that was fine
  • 2016: The death spiral begins
    • Sox trade Montas, Thompson and Micah Johnson for Todd Frazier
    • Fucking Drake LaRoche
    • Trade Tatis (and Erik Johnson) for an imploding James Shields
  • 2017: Trade Sale, Eaton, and Q because they colossally fucked up everything.
  • 2018: Lose a lot, draft Nick Madrigal.
    • Lucas Giolito goes outside the organization because the instruction he's getting sucks.
  • 2019: Lose a lot, draft Vaughn to play first base.
  • Don't sign Machado when they were the only bidder because they tried to toy with him.
  • Don't even try for Bryce.
  • 2020: Have a real shot at Wheeler. Miss.
  • "We have an All-Star catcher. Sign another."
    • Tbh I was fine with Yasmani, but still kinda dumb.
  • Eloy gets hurt cause they never taught him how to play defense. Play Vaughn in left field.
    • Rush Crochet to majors as a reliever. Botch his development.
    • Burger and Sheets seeks development outside the organization.
  • Omar Vizquel scandal #1 breaks. 
  • 2021: Hire TLR despite having their pick of the litter.
  • Miss out on Joc because of a small amount of dollars.
  • Omar Vizquel scandal #2 breaks, this one with organizational implications.
  • TLR's nonsense.
  • Leury extension.
  • Rename Loretta's Lounge for no reason.
  • Acquire Craig Kimbrel, use him wrong.
  • Squabble with Giolito in arbitration.

And I don't even need to start typing out the past two years. And I missed other moments from the past 18 because I was just going off Baseball Almanac and my memory, but there are organizational things like not spending wisely internationally, home grown players like Flowers and Semien becoming better defenders once leaving the Sox, trading international spending allotment etc.

Being a Sox fan is death by a thousand cuts and Jerry is very pennywise/pound foolish. There's a reality where they have a homegrown infield of Semien/Tatis/Anderson/Abreu for the past few years. Don't even need to spend a Madrigal pick!

Everything they do is so fucking stupid and self inflicted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 2