Benetti to Tigers

BBaum21

5 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

When I first read it I just took it as BB being a dick, not the disability angle. 

Yes, I agree it’s not necessarily related to his disability. Doesn’t make it right. It doesn’t cost anything to be nice and respectful.

Not sure when the issues with Jason began, but they first became public three years ago where WMVP was paying to have their announcers travel to cover games in person, whereas the more important broadcast (and by far higher revenue generating) to a majority of fans suffered when Jason and Steve were confined by Jerry’s CSN to calling games off of a monitor feed of opponents broadcasters in a basement.

Jason discussed the matter on The Score, and said there were multiple issues Steve and him were dealing with in terms of fighting to deliver the best broadcasts under the circumstances and being thwarted by the Sox / CSN.

14 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

When I first read it I just took it as BB being a dick, not the disability angle. 

There is no evidence it had anything to do with his disability. It certainly sounds like they didn’t have a good relationship, and I’m sure both have pretty large egos. Brooks quote sounds like something an asshole says to someone who’s been an asshole before. 

• Like 2

It continues to hit the fan:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/11/16/23964326/jason-benetti-white-sox-brooks-boyer-mike-monaco-connor-mcknight-chris-stefan-chip-harry-caray

Jason Benetti’s departure from White Sox hastened by contentious relationship with exec Brooks Boyer

Multiple sources said the Sox’ senior vice president and chief revenue and marketing officer was at the center of the situation, particularly an inappropriate remark he made to Benetti.

7 minutes ago, Nokona said:

What does Jaspn want respect for?  Being a national commentator?  Then go be one full time

I can't believe people are willing to quit on the White Sox because Jason Benetti left.  We are a baseball team not a podcast

The Sox are definitely not a podcast, but it may be a stretch to call them a “baseball team”

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

Here is the clip of what I mentioned above in terms of Jason’s First Airing of Grievances in July 2021, two months after Len and DJ resumed traveling with the team.

Apparently Brooks and Jerry were more concerned funding Brooks’ vast ticket seller operation than he was paying for a people to properly operate, manage and broadcast the White Sox.

Nothing has changed on that front three years later.

This clip also included the fact that Jason and Steve had to fight for something as simple as broadcasting road games in the same physical space at the NBC Towers for road games (beyond fighting to travel with the team like Len / DJ), with a few additional grievances discussed during the segment. 

Jason called the argument made by (likely) Boyer that Steve and Jason weren’t adapting to the circumstances of not traveling well “Absolute Hot Garbage”. Looking at the facts, it appears Jason was spot on with that assessment.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

2 hours ago, Tony said:

There is no evidence it had anything to do with his disability. It certainly sounds like they didn’t have a good relationship, and I’m sure both have pretty large egos. Brooks quote sounds like something an asshole says to someone who’s been an asshole before. 

I'm with you, I took it as Brooks being a dick instead of malicious. 

I don't know that Jason was trying to imply that the comment was related to his cerebral palsy although I'm not sure about that. But yeah, I see it as Boyer just making it as clear as possible that he found Jason to be too needy for whatever reason. Having someone talk to me like that would give me some motivation to get out of the situation if I had an attractive off-ramp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/11/16/23964326/jason-benetti-white-sox-brooks-boyer-mike-monaco-connor-mcknight-chris-stefan-chip-harry-caray

Jason Benetti’s departure from White Sox hastened by contentious relationship with exec Brooks Boyer

Multiple sources said the Sox’ senior vice president and chief revenue and marketing officer was at the center of the situation, particularly an inappropriate remark he made to Benetti.

I know Jason has cerebral palsey but not sure of his disability. If Brook was  dissing Jason for that he should leave. 

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Good. They deserve it.

3 hours ago, Tony said:

To be fair, if he did insult him regarding his disability, Getz will promote him to a minor league coach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Heads22 said:

I may be the only person voicing this opinion but I liked McKnight as a fill-in and would be okay with him.

My first choice is Adam Amin however (won't happen)

McKnight would also be a good story. He gets let go from the Score during the early part of Covid, lands on his feet with pre and post at AM 1000, gets expanded responsibilities with play by play and then could be the TV play by play. He would be great at it.

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

McKnight would also be a good story. He gets let go from the Score during the early part of Covid, lands on his feet with pre and post at AM 1000, gets expanded responsibilities with play by play and then could be the TV play by play. He would be great at it.

I actually think he's got a pretty good voice for it. I'd be interested in knowing why some people don't like him - earnestly, because I thought he was more than fine.

I think Amin is one of the best announcers out there.

Monaco is fine, maybe he'd grow on me. He seems very generic.

• Thanks 1

I don’t want to sound like I’m defending Boyer (because f*** everyone in this franchise), but that sounds more like there’s a history there. Probably something where JB asks for or believes he deserves more respect than he’s getting, but it comes across to Boyer as JB believes he deserves more respect than other employees. It’s probably something along those lines rather than a personal vendetta.

• Like 1