Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

46 minutes ago, fathom said:

The more I think about it, the more the Pirates getting Cease makes no sense.  They’re not likely competing in the next two years, and unloading their farm should be someone with significantly more years remaining on their contract.

Yeah they don’t make any sense.. unless they go out and sign all the remaining free agents lol

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That is a quote from an article in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, so their beat writer definitely feels like a trade is going down soon and likely for a controllable starter.

I agree with fathom that the PIT timeline doesn't make a ton of sense not that I'm complaining. If they are willing to give up Johnson + a backend Top 100 SP prospect that's fine. 

If we can get a third piece somewhere around 10-15 in their system perhaps in the OF that would be nice too.

I really hope Getz doesn't just ask for like 3 pitchers and forget Johnson....there's a prime LHS at a position of real need, there is no excuse for him to be ignored. He will be likely called up by 2025 at some point so it's not like we're going to have to wait forever or anything. 

Get the savage.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

Cease makes zero sense from a timeline perspective, even considering they'll be getting O'Neil Cruz back healthy again for SS.

https://www.mlb.com/pirates/news/pirates-need-starting-pitching-for-2024-season

They basically have to fill out an entire rotation after Keller.

It would be shocking if they gave up T.Johnson after picking him so high in the 1st.

Unless they simply didn't learn a thing at all from parting with the likes of Glasnow, Musgrove and Taillon.

Certainly not a team that typically sheds young prospects for players with just two years of control remaining.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GreenSox said:

You know a lot more about this stuff than I do, but he doesn't walk and he doesn't hit homers.
I see the 120, so I guess I'm missing something.

He had a 12% walk rate just last year I’m AAA against a 14% K rate. 

I don't put much stock in the Pirates rumor.  Being from there originally, I follow the Pittsburgh sports teams.  An insider hinted at a big move coming, and someone asked in the comments if it was Cease.  The insider just said he'd be thrilled if it was.  A big move for the Pirates most likely isn't going to be something like Cease; it'll more like a "meh" deal for most teams.

I haven't really looked at Pittsburgh's prospects, so I don't even know who the Sox might target.  Skenes is obviously off limits, and he's really the only guy I know anything about.

• Like 1

I don't put a lot of stock into the rumor either but the Pirates aren't a team that will go out and spend 9 figures on an arm so trading for one that has 2 years of control is probably more intriguing to them. This is basically their version of "going for it" and hoping their young hitters can help carry them like the Reds last year.

I will say this for the Pirates, the current state of the division does make sense for them to go for it NOW. The Brewers are scaling back and getting worse and the Cubs haven't completely opened up their unlimited funds yet. This might be a good 2 year window for them to strike before the Cubs stock up large FAs, the Brewers reset with the Burnes trade, and the Reds fully mature. Over the next 5 years, these might be their best 2 year window. 🤷

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I will say this for the Pirates, the current state of the division does make sense for them to go for it NOW. The Brewers are scaling back and getting worse and the Cubs haven't completely opened up their unlimited funds yet. This might be a good 2 year window for them to strike before the Cubs stock up large FAs, the Brewers reset with the Burnes trade, and the Reds fully mature. Over the next 5 years, these might be their best 2 year window. 🤷

Right. Eventually they have to make some sort of move and they do have some nice hitters.

10 hours ago, fathom said:

The more I think about it, the more the Pirates getting Cease makes no sense.  They’re not likely competing in the next two years, and unloading their farm should be someone with significantly more years remaining on their contract.

Agreed.  I think this is a case of a team doing their due diligence and someone getting overly excited about it.  

• Like 1

Jerry crying poor and selling off Cease to the Pittsburgh Pirates would be Chef’s Kiss.

My first instinct was to interview within and then talk to these other (outside) candidates,” Jerry Reinsdorf said. "But that moved me to the thought of what I owe the fans. The thing I know is that I owe the fans a path to getting better as fast as I can. Speed is of the essence. I don't want this to be a long-term proposition.”

- August 2023

If anyone thinks we can compete with ball clubs like the Pittsburgh Pirates, they’re crazy.

- December 2023

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Jerry crying poor and selling off Cease to the Pittsburgh Pirates would be Chef’s Kiss.

My first instinct was to interview within and then talk to these other (outside) candidates,” Jerry Reinsdorf said. "But that moved me to the thought of what I owe the fans. The thing I know is that I owe the fans a path to getting better as fast as I can. Speed is of the essence. I don't want this to be a long-term proposition.”

- August 2023

If anyone thinks we can compete with ball clubs like the Pittsburgh Pirates, they’re crazy.

- December 2023

We wouldn’t be trading Cease for money reasons though, so not sure what you’re getting at here.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We wouldn’t be trading Cease for money reasons though, so not sure what you’re getting at here.

We would be trading Cease for money reasons if they don't think they can resign him (and given the White Sox history, there is no reason to think that the White Sox would actually spend market value). Yes, they can argue that it's about flexibility and creating roster depth, addressing other positions, but any deal they make is likely to be primarily for minor league talent. This is not a trade you made, with Cease under control for 2 more years, if "speed is the of the essence".

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, spiderman said:

We would be trading Cease for money reasons if they don't think they can resign him (and given the White Sox history, there is no reason to think that the White Sox would actually spend market value). Yes, they can argue that it's about flexibility and creating roster depth, addressing other positions, but any deal they make is likely to be primarily for minor league talent. This is not a trade you made, with Cease under control for 2 more years, if "speed is the of the essence".

We all know they won’t resign him, but that’s the case whether we expect to be good or bad the next couple years.  If the Pirates were to trade for him, they too wouldn’t sign him beyond 2025.  Trading Cease is 100% about acquiring talent that better fits a window where can reasonably hope to be competitive by.  Unfortunately that’s not the next two years, which means cashing in on Cease now.  Money doesn’t really have anything to do with the decision IMO.

The LA Times is suggesting if the Dodgers miss out on Yamamoto they would likely add more pitching via trade than overpay for Snell or Montgomery

If the Dodgers miss out on Yamamoto, it’s more likely they’ll turn back to the trade market — and not another highly-coveted free agent, such as two-time Cy Young Award winner Blake Snell — in their search for additional pitching. Corbin Burnes of the Milwaukee Brewers and Dylan Cease of the Chicago White Sox remain potential targets.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It is in a way...they don't feel either Giolito or Cease are worth extending.

So who exactly would be worth anything more than three year contracts on the pitching front then?

It's like the argument the Pirates have for competing the next two years in the NL Central with Cease isn't far removed from the White Sox giving him a $150-175 million extension.

The Twins and Guardians took their feet off the accelerator recently and basically begged the rest of the division to engage...but they're just withdrawing further into their shell and battening down the hatches for the upcoming storm.  No instinct to fight or idea how to create a winning team from scratch. 

Except speed and defense is probably cheaper than paying for massive power #'s.  Well that's fine if you have a strong rotation and lockdown pen.  Which the Sox most assuredly don't.  But, at this point, Jordan Leasure becoming the Gregory Santos of 2024 is the most that can reasonably be expected.

Edited by caulfield12

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The LA Times is suggesting if the Dodgers miss out on Yamamoto they would likely add more pitching via trade than overpay for Snell or Montgomery

And Burnes once again will be making a much higher salary than Cease....similar to Glasnow.

The problem is that the Brewers seem to be more immediately desperate to move him than the Sox with Cease.

Of course, LA might need Burned just to get through this season....they have 3-4 massive pitching additions for 2025 lined up and the prospect cost to LA will be decidedly lower.  Also doesn't feel like now is good time for extension with Burnes eg. Glasnow having so many question marks moving forward.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And Burnes once again will be making a much higher salary than Cease....similar to Glasnow.

The problem is that the Brewers seem to be more immediately desperate to move him than the Sox with Cease.

Of course, LA might need Burned just to get through this season....they have 3-4 massive pitching additions for 2025 lined up and the prospect cost to LA will be decidedly lower.  Also doesn't feel like now is good time for extension with Burnes eg. Glasnow having so many question marks moving forward.

Everything right now suggests the Brewers aren’t desperate to move him at all and their owner wants to compete next year.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic