Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

31 minutes ago, T R U said:

Absolutely, I just meant the return was fair for a rental player making $15 million.

Hence the ability for Baltimore to absorb the salary AND the Brewers to move that money, Adames and Williams for more prospects while getting younger and cutting payroll simultaneously.

5 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This just isn’t true though. I wouldn’t have taken the package for Dylan Cease but it was fine for one year of Burnes. 

That's the whole point tho Jimmy.....the Burnes offer is garbage FOR US and Harold noted the offer they made us was pretty similar 

Even adding in some other lower piece doesn't meaningfully change it.

If BAL thinks Hall can be a SP they wouldn't have included him and if they can't make him a SP then a vastly inferior development program also cannot make him a SP either.

And relatively few people here are excited about Ortiz, so what are we getting then? No one wants him as a primary piece (secondary is fine) and no one wants a reliever as a primary piece either. And a Comp balance pick also is not an appropriate primary piece. 

If they had made an offer based on the 3 part structure we've talked about over and over again that would have fine but if not then forget it. 

I would have taken Kjerstad, Ortiz and Povich (and a lotto). It doesn't seem that was offered.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

5 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This just isn’t true though. I wouldn’t have taken the package for Dylan Cease but it was fine for one year of Burnes. 

I thought I read somewhere that the Sox offered this plus another player. If that's Norby, Beavers, Povich, McDermott then I still think that would be a good deal for Cease. 

Tigers didn't trade Fulmer, he got injured and never rebounded. Trading him could have altered their trajectory. There is a big difference between ballsy and stupid.

Regardless, I still expect something to happen but Montgomery and Snell are holding things up.

1 minute ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Why aren't we talking about extending Dylan Cease? Give the kid a nice extension in a few months if he is having a good first half. He can hold down the rotation until Schultz is ready and the Sox sign Corbin Burnes in the offeason. 

He's a Boras client

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Why aren't we talking about extending Dylan Cease? Give the kid a nice extension in a few months if he is having a good first half. He can hold down the rotation until Schultz is ready and the Sox sign Corbin Burnes in the offeason. 

Tell me you’re new around here or this team without telling me. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Why aren't we talking about extending Dylan Cease? Give the kid a nice extension in a few months

What has poor Dylan done to deserve this kind of horrible treatment?

3 hours ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Cause we have been fans of this franchise for longer than 15 minutes?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Cause we have been fans of this franchise for longer than 15 minutes?

Not to mention Boras would not low him to sign an extension. His clients go to FA to look at deals. He could resign but not before the FA market is tested. 

23 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Not to mention Boras would not low him to sign an extension. His clients go to FA to look at deals. He could resign but not before the FA market is tested. 

Boras will absolutely "allow" his clients to sign extensions. One signed an extension literally yesterday.

He will encourage them to only sign extensions if they get their full value. Dylan Cease is a guy who Boras can genuinely say was a 2nd place Cy Young finisher 2 years ago, much like Getz clearly tried to do while marketing him in Trades. If he were to do that the next 2 years, he could be looking at a $300 million contract. 

Boras's push with a guy like that would be to make sure he didn't give up a stupid discount in exchange for an extension. It's not unreasonable to think that it would take $250 million+ to get him to commit to an extension right now. That's why it won't happen, because teams aren't going to put up that kind of money for him yet.

• Like 2

The most relevant bit:

Jones, 22, was not only an early Padres target in Juan Soto trade talks, he was believed to be the key prospect requested in discussions for ace pitchers Corbin Burnes (who went to the rival Orioles) and Dylan Cease (who’s still a White Sox). 

The Yankees got Soto anyway, thanks to a deep stash of big-league ready starting pitchers, but despite a renewed need for another starter following the Soto deal, they continued to decline Jones requests. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Boras will absolutely "allow" his clients to sign extensions. One signed an extension literally yesterday.

He will encourage them to only sign extensions if they get their full value. Dylan Cease is a guy who Boras can genuinely say was a 2nd place Cy Young finisher 2 years ago, much like Getz clearly tried to do while marketing him in Trades. If he were to do that the next 2 years, he could be looking at a $300 million contract. 

Boras's push with a guy like that would be to make sure he didn't give up a stupid discount in exchange for an extension. It's not unreasonable to think that it would take $250 million+ to get him to commit to an extension right now. That's why it won't happen, because teams aren't going to put up that kind of money for him yet.

Altuve wasn't an extension like Cease, he was in the last year of his contract. He wouldn't allow it. 

19 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I am glad Getz is insisting on him as the main piece. If he isn't included, then there's nothing to discuss with NYY.

Agreed. Don't settle.

Getz needs to keep a framed photo of Blake Rutherford on his desk to look at every time the Yankees call.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Altuve wasn't an extension like Cease, he was in the last year of his contract. He wouldn't allow it. 

So a contract extension 1 year before free agency is different from a contract extension two years before free agency. Riiiiiiight.

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So a contract extension 1 year before free agency is different from a contract extension two years before free agency. Riiiiiiight.

Yeah, I didn't say it properly. I meant extension as in before the last year. He's done them before but rarely during the last year of a contract. I don't he's ever allowed them to what I was referring to as an extension of a current contract. 

A contract extension for a 33 y/o Altuve is very different than an extension for player in Cease who has yet to hit free agency. Altuve has already been paid big where as Boras is yet to see his payday from Cease. Let's not be obtuse or pedantic here.

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s the greatest comparison.  Altuve is old.  He’s turning 34 in May.  What team was going to jump to give him huge dollars if he became a free agent at 34.5 years of age?  Instead, he was just extended for 5-years and $125 million dollars until his age 39 season, and now he doesn’t have to worry about the risk of injury or decline until he became a free agent in a year.  He also gets to stay with the team he loves and possibly win another World Series.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

A contract extension for a 33 y/o Altuve is very different than an extension for player in Cease who has yet to hit free agency. Altuve has already been paid big where as Boras is yet to see his payday from Cease. Let's not be obtuse or pedantic here.

Or maybe the fact there is ZERO chance the Sox would even sniff the asking price. Unless someone knows Cease is just dying to sign a 4/$50M year deal loaded with the Jerry Incentives Clause. It aint happening, the Sox don't hand out long term deals to good starting pitching.

8 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Or maybe the fact there is ZERO chance the Sox would even sniff the asking price. Unless someone knows Cease is just dying to sign a 4/$50M year deal loaded with the Jerry Incentives Clause. It aint happening, the Sox don't hand out long term deals to good starting pitching.

Even if the Sox did hand out top dollar deals for pitching, Boras likely takes Cease to free agency in order to maximize the payday. We all know they don't, so it's moot.

In Altuve's case, Boras probably knows no one else is going to offer what Houston did for an aging player, so there is no reason not to take the money instead of waiting until free agency.  

9 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Even if the Sox did hand out top dollar deals for pitching, Boras likely takes Cease to free agency in order to maximize the payday. We all know they don't, so it's moot.

In Altuve's case, Boras probably knows no one else is going to offer what Houston did for an aging player, so there is no reason not to take the money instead of waiting until free agency.  

More like the proposed last career deal for Abreu the Sox were considering at one point before the 2022 debacle...

Konerko, same thing.

Although obviously nowhere close to $100 million.

Edited by caulfield12

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic