Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

So would you rather have Basallo or Mayo as a headliner?

That ship has sailed.  Even with the injuries to their rotation, I think it’s pretty obvious that Elias isn’t giving up either of those guys for Cease.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

This assumes there’s a market for prospects in exchange for Santander. Most of the moves like that involving position players have been attached to other moves as salary dumps this offseason.

Not for a team’s best prospects but maybe multiple decent ones.

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

This assumes there’s a market for prospects in exchange for Santander. Most of the moves like that involving position players have been attached to other moves as salary dumps this offseason.

Major League , 3WAR , switching hitting , starting RF for a team that won 100 games who's hit 61 HRs the last 2 years, has a good arm. Why wouldn't there be a market for him when conservatively 90 % of all minor league players will never see an AB or pitch in MLB ? Surely someone somewhere would think he'd be a fine edition to their team and be willing to find something  reasonably close to equitable for him.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Major League , 3WAR , switching hitting , starting RF for a team that won 100 games who's hit 61 HRs the last 2 years, has a good arm. Why wouldn't there be a market for him when conservatively 90 % of all minor league players will never see an AB or pitch in MLB ? Surely someone somewhere would think he'd be a fine edition to their team and be willing to find something  reasonably close to equitable for him.

$11.7 million salary, limited positions, 1 year of control. Teoscar Hernandez only got a $15 million deal ($8 million deferred on top of that). How many prospects would you give up to save $5 or $6 million?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

No, just Cease really. No expectations for the other games started.

I disagree. I think Soroka, Fedde, and Kopech all have upside. If any of them pitch well, especially Soroka, they will be put on the trading block.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I disagree. I think Soroka, Fedde, and Kopech all have upside. If any of them pitch well, especially Soroka, they will be put on the trading block.

That doesn't count as nerve racking, though.

With Cease, one funny landing, one hard-hit line drive, one errant pop-up and boneheaded infield defense could be the difference between having a top-10 farm system and having nothing to show for Cease's current value.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Like I said, low expectations. Fedde and Kopech have been ass in the majors.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

36 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Joe Musgrove looks horrible in his first 2/3 IP of spring training. I wonder how many conversations Getz has had with San Diego in the last hour. Hurry before anybody posts video of Cease playing catch. 

It's ST. consistent vets are the least of managers concerns.

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

But the Mets might need pitching now 

And a sub .500 team losing the guy who was their best pitcher last year is totally the kind of team that should be mortgaging the future to win right now. 

(Balta Reveals, stunningly, that he was in fact Rick Hahn all along!)

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And a sub .500 team losing the guy who was their best pitcher last year is totally the kind of team that should be mortgaging the future to win right now. 

(Balta Reveals, stunningly, that he was in fact Rick Hahn all along!)

Or you know, they sign someone like Montgomery, which creates a chain reaction.

How likely were the Mets to compete in that gauntlet of a division even WITH Senga?

If anything, might push them to trade Alonso, then maybe they resign him next year if their young players like Alvarez and Baty all progress.

Cohen said no shortcuts to retooling or rebuilding that organization.

And while president of baseball operations David Stearns and the Mets do not know when their star righty will be able to return, that doesn't mean they are looking to bring in outside help. 

According to Stearns, the organization is satisfied with the starting pitching depth that they have and Senga's injury does not effect their plan.

https://www.si.com/mlb/mets/news/new-york-mets-make-a-decision-on-adding-pitching-after-injury-to-ace

Edited by caulfield12

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic