Bummer to ATL

Nokona

9 hours ago, Tony said:

This is a solid haul. Few lottery tickets and a number of guys that will at least be members of the 26 man roster at some point for a RP that has straight up been bad. 

I also suspect the Braves will get the most out of Bummer because that’s what good organizations do, but it wasn’t going to happen here 

Bummer has talent no doubt and the Braves will most likely help him figure it out like no pitching coach from the Sox could.  It's just that IMO Bummer can't handle pressure and he'll face a lot more of that from the rabid Braves fan base who won't tolerate his meltdowns.

19 minutes ago, Quin said:

so is this our opening day rotation:

• Soroka
  • Quantrill
  • Toussaint
  • Kopech
  • Scholtens

As of mid-November (if the Sox take a chance with Quantrill and Cease is traded).  Never fear, though.  There’s plenty of time to add a few more dumpster dive arms!

5 minutes ago, zisk said:

ladies and germs, meet your new starting ss. nick lopez. he will play solid defense. should help

out the pitchers a bit.

At worst he will be a useful bench piece.  I love players with defense and speed.  Those skills come to the park every day.

58 minutes ago, bmags said:

Soroka is the least interesting piece to me. Guy is washed. Touissant is more likely to be a good started next year.

Washed is crazy...he struggled in his 2023 return to Atlanta, but still did better than basically any pitching prospect we have in AAA, while down in Richmond. One bad 2023 campaign (32 innings mind you), doesn't erase what he accomplished in his only full season in the bigs.

Yes, it was before back to back Achilles injuries, I get it. But no way I'd write Soroka off, at 25.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, zisk said:

ladies and germs, meet your new starting ss. nick lopez. he will play solid defense. should help

out the pitchers a bit.

Covered Nick for his three years at Naperville Central (2011-13) and I'm very happy for his family, who won't have to travel far to see him.

Nick and his parents are class all the way. 

Kind of sucks because he's going from a 100-win team to a 100-loss team, but we'll see if he gets tendered a contract.

Gold Glove caliber defense, obviously. 

Sox only had the other Nick who graduated from a Naperville high school in 2013 (Nick Solak; Naperville North) for 48 hours back in April. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Did I miss the Cal signing or is that just speculation?

me speculating cause, especially after Soroka, he SCREAMS White Sox acquisition 

If you add in Deivi Garcia and Luis Patino that rotation is basically made of former top prospects who flamed out

• Thanks 1

I understand the negativity around here because this organization deserves all the hate.  However, putting that aside did any of you think we were going to get anything for Bummer?  You took fliers on 2 starting pitchers and one who has had a track record of being a really good pitcher before Achilles injuries.  

This is a damn good trade for AARON BUMMER 

Ok......now back to hating this organization.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 2Deep said:

I understand the negativity around here because this organization deserves all the hate.  However, putting that aside did any of you think we were going to get anything for Bummer?  You took fliers on 2 starting pitchers and one who has had a track record of being a really good pitcher before Achilles injuries.  

This is a damn good trade for AARON BUMMER 

Ok......now back to hating this organization.

I think most have accepted that it is trash from a good organization which makes it better than our trash. I like it.

I don't mind that we traded bummer, and I don't hate it, I'm just stating that after many of the hahn rebuild trades my least favorite were these "rebound" type players that had an extremely short amount of time to prove themselves before we had to make roster decisions on them + showed a very limited ceiling.

Are they more accomplished and likely better players than some 19 year old arm in A ball? Probably, but the 19 year old can hold some more value for longer. So I'm glad we got that.

I just don't think the hyperventilating about the number of players we received back or that they used to be an interesting prospect is interesting. We've seen enough excitement about casey gillaspies and such.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't mind that we traded bummer, and I don't hate it, I'm just stating that after many of the hahn rebuild trades my least favorite were these "rebound" type players that had an extremely short amount of time to prove themselves before we had to make roster decisions on them + showed a very limited ceiling.

Are they more accomplished and likely better players than some 19 year old arm in A ball? Probably, but the 19 year old can hold some more value for longer. So I'm glad we got that.

I just don't think the hyperventilating about the number of players we received back or that they used to be an interesting prospect is interesting. We've seen enough excitement about casey gillaspies and such.

Yeah and when you really think back to trade deadline when it was said there was a lot of interest and he had a high price, this return is weird.

3 former first rounders still young enough to figure it out, a nice defensive piece and solid clubhouse guy in a position of need for a guy that serves no purpose on this team in 2024 or 2025 and hasn't been able to figure it out since the sticky stuff ban.  I see nothing to complain about on this one. 

• Like 7

Certainly nothing to complain about here, good move. Do I have any faith in the Sox being able to “fix” prospects the Braves couldn’t? No, but crazier things have happened I suppose.
Hopefully whatever forearm issues Soraka was dealing with at the end of the year isn’t foreshadowing for a surgery to come. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Holy f*** I did not expect the Sox to get that for Bummer. But who was it here who said Bummer had 0 value across the league? :lol:

There is always demand for left handed relievers and Bummer had some  good years.  Regardless I think the Braves overpaid and should be a good trade for the Sox.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I see nothing to complain about on this one. 

Amen. 

The Sox used 8 starters last year. They're probably going to need to sort through about a dozen starters to get 5 reasonable arms that have us limping to the All-Star break. They just acquired a veteran and a AAA arm. And they got a glove-first utility guy. And they got an interesting A-ball pitcher. What's not to like?

• Like 2

Bummer will be a great piece for the Braves. That being said, the inevitable 2 walks and a bloop made watching him regularly the absolute worst stress out of the bullpen. Nicky can be a very solid SS stopgap until Colton comes in and shift to 2nd if any of our young guys still struggle. Ultimately he should be our infield super sub. Soroka is interesting. coming off injuries...THIS should be his first full health/built up strength season since his dominant 2019. I saw him pitch multiple times that year when I lived in Atlanta and his sinker is what was devastating. Coming out of 2023 he was trying to focus on a faster FB (that isn't his game). With some fresh looks from our pitching staff, I am hopeful he can at least be a solid starter and stay somewhat healthy. Everyone is a flier, let's see what happens. The A pitcher Riley Gowens has some nice scouting reports and could be interesting in a year or two. 

• Like 4

• bmags featured, unfeatured and unpinned this topic