Giolito speaks...

Lip Man 1

Love Gio, seems like a great guy, pretty much the only ball player whose interviews I'll watch. I watched some video last year featuring him and Blake Snell and Snell seems like the biggest moron alive whereas Gio seemed cool, charismatic and intelligent. Cool that he's still living in Chicago and welcomed the idea of coming back.

The bit about Ohtani is more interesting than what he said about the Sox."the pitching was good when the hitting was bad and vice versa. we didn't click" snooze...but Shohei sleeps 14 hours a day? fascinating.

wish these podcast guys actually knew how to conduct an interview and asked something more specific than "why did you guys lose so much?"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nrockway said:

Love Gio, seems like a great guy, pretty much the only ball player whose interviews I'll watch. I watched some video last year featuring him and Blake Snell and Snell seems like the biggest moron alive whereas Gio seemed cool, charismatic and intelligent. Cool that he's still living in Chicago and welcomed the idea of coming back.

The bit about Ohtani is more interesting than what he said about the Sox."the pitching was good when the hitting was bad and vice versa. we didn't click" snooze...but Shohei sleeps 14 hours a day? fascinating.

wish these podcast guys actually knew how to conduct an interview and asked something more specific than "why did you guys lose so much?"

I believe Gio wants to sign with the Sox thus his less than truthful analysis of what went wrong with the Sox last season, he couldn’t call out the players individually and of course couldn’t say that the team was managed by a complete idiot and who was the most incompetent manager the Sox have had in my lifetime.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I believe Gio wants to sign with the Sox thus his less than truthful analysis of what went wrong with the Sox last season, he couldn’t call out the players individually and of course couldn’t say that the team was managed by a complete idiot and who was the most incompetent manager the Sox have had in my lifetime.

Maybe you are too young but do you remember Terry Bevington who argued for a call to hurt his own team and who took out a pitcher without having another warming up? 

• Fire 1
  • Hawk 1
  • TLR 1

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I get that he really seemed to like the Sox and enjoy his time in Chicago, but why would he want to come back and play under Pedro Boylen if (theoretically) those are his thoughts about the manager? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Maybe you are too young but do you remember Terry Bevington who argued for a call to hurt his own team and who took out a pitcher without having another warming up? 

always thought jerry manuel was a dope too. his bullpen moves were head scratchers most of the time.

5 hours ago, nrockway said:

Maybe you have a misunderstanding of how most interviews work. Usually it's a controlled situation where the person agrees to be interviewed as long as the interviewer doesn't put the interviewee on the hot seat about anything controversial.

No player in their right mind really wants to bash anyone while they are still capable of earning a paycheck. That can come back to bite you in your ass . It's the Bull Durham school of how to speak to the media.

• Like 2

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think there's a decent chance Gio comes back on a 1 yr prove it deal.  Get back with Katz and bring his buddy Flaherty here and they figure s%*# out.  They both put up good seasons and get paid next year.  

1 year deals for both? Or similar Rodon deals where it can be multi-year but they can opt-out after 1?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think there's a decent chance Gio comes back on a 1 yr prove it deal.  Get back with Katz and bring his buddy Flaherty here and they figure s%*# out.  They both put up good seasons and get paid next year.  

Thats interesting 

I wouldn't mind both Gio and Flaherty on one year deals.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I would think they would want one year bet on themselves deals and hit free agency next year coming off solid seasons.  

That would be great. Can offer QOs then if they pitch well enough. Lord knows we will need the pitching.

Saving money on the TA option and paying DeJong instead, that money needs to be reinvested into the pitching.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

That would be great. Can offer QOs then if they pitch well enough. Lord knows we will need the pitching.

Saving money on the TA option and paying DeJong instead, that money needs to be reinvested into the pitching.

Chris Getz: "Hello may I speak to Dallas Keuchel please?"

Dallas Keuchel's Mom: "What is this in regards to?"

Chris Getz: "I would like to speak to Dallas about returning to the Chicago White Sox. We would be thrilled to have him back, and we have funds this offseason we would like to reinvest into pitching."

Dallas Keuchel's Mom: "I told you people to put this number on your Do Not Call list." Click

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Chris Getz: "Hello may I speak to Dallas Keuchel please?"

Dallas Keuchel's Mom: "What is this in regards to?"

Chris Getz: "I would like to speak to Dallas about returning to the Chicago White Sox. We would be thrilled to have him back, and we have funds this offseason we would like to reinvest into pitching."

Dallas Keuchel's Mom: "I told you people to put this number on your Do Not Call list." Click

Too soon for jokes about Chicago players and their moms. I think we've all had enough of that this week lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I would think they would want one year bet on themselves deals and hit free agency next year coming off solid seasons.  

Flaherty and Giolito would be great gets.  Potential QO if they pitch really well, OR if they pitch really well trade deadline pieces.  We will suck anyways so if they suck, who cares.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It sure sounds like Giolito didn't want to trash the Sox. He's a nice guy and probably didn't want to burn any bridges. But I'm not sure that means he necessarily wants to sign here.

I agree. But they might as well toss out a 1 year, like $15M offer and see if he bites. At least make him say no.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I agree. But they might as well toss out a 1 year, like $15M offer and see if he bites. At least make him say no.

I'd be surprised if you had to offer him that much, but yeah, I'd offer him something. Flaherty 1/10, Giolito 1/12. Maybe even try to get 1/15 team options on both.  If not, you're protected with the QO if all things go right for them.

10 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd be surprised if you had to offer him that much, but yeah, I'd offer him something. Flaherty 1/10, Giolito 1/12. Maybe even try to get 1/15 team options on both.  If not, you're protected with the QO if all things go right for them.

Yeah maybe a bit too high but I also don't think they'd be interested in team options. Probably a player option like the route Rodon went.

Just to keep Nastrini, Eder and some of the other farm arms in the farm…  I do like the thought of Giolito and Flaherty on short deals with the Sox. 

Give me both on 1-year deals, 1+1 option yr deal or even a 2+1 yr deal (for Gio). I won’t kid myself thinking this makes us playoff contenders necessarily, but they also could be trade fodder if they perform and the Sox are bad. 

Assuming Cease is traded, you would roll with something like Giolito, Flaherty, Soroka, Shuster and Kopech… with Touki as a 6th. And that’s not even considering anything you add from Cease or Eloy if traded. 

Or you roll with Cease, Giolito, Flaherty, Soroka and Kopech with Shuster in AAA if you keep Dylan. 

Edited by SouthSideGeorgia