White Sox sign Martin Maldonado 1 year/4 million, vesting option for 2025

Just now, fathom said:

He was absolutely terrible last year, even defensively 

Dusty Baker would still tell you he was wonderful. 

(He probably did a decent job of handling the pitching staff, but he was all around bad otherwise, and should have played dramatically less than he did - but again, Dusty).

Why? He has little no upside either to the Sox or as a future trade candidate. The fact the catcher position should be wide open should be attractive to catchers looking to rebuild their value.

You want to take a flyer on someone go sign Gary Sanchez at least he was ok-decent for the padres.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Why? He has little no upside either to the Sox or as a future trade candidate. The fact the catcher position should be wide open should be attractive to catchers looking to rebuild their value.

You want to take a flyer on someone go sign Gary Sanchez at least he was ok-decent for the padres.

Yeah get some power in that spot.

25 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

They're gonna have to bring in some veteran-type. You can't go into the season with Korey Lee and Carlos Perez as your catchers. Maldonado was (at least before last year) a very good defensive catcher. I'd rather have him as a backup then see Perez on this team. At least he'll be cheap.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

They're gonna have to bring in some veteran-type. You can't go into the season with Korey Lee and Carlos Perez as your catchers. Maldonado was (at least before last year) a very good defensive catcher. I'd rather have him as a backup then see Perez on this team. At least he'll be cheap.

Yeah and can mentor Lee and Quero (while he’s in camp). I like this idea better than trading for Sal Perez.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Nah I'd absolutely rather have Salvador Perez.

If both were FA and signed minimum contracts, I might agree with you. But Salvy comes with his hefty contract and the acquisition cost. I don't see KC being willing to part their franchise icon for cheap. Especially within the division.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If both were FA and signed minimum contracts, I might agree with you. But Salvy comes with his hefty contract and the acquisition cost. I don't see KC being willing to part their franchise icon for cheap. Especially within the division.

Yep yep. But in a vacuum, Salvy>>>>>>>

It's weird how, for about 4 rebuilding seasons, we had a replacement-level Sandy Alomar as our catcher in the early aughts, and it seemed like a coup. Everybody even wants him to be in any manager mix because he somehow learned how to "win" in Cleveland. But a Salvatore Perez who could rake, comparatively, sucks because he somehow learned how to lose in Kansas City. 

Perhaps we should be chasing the garbage Texas won't resign because they have intrinsic wisdom on how to win, now. 

Edited by WestEddy
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

It's weird how, for about 4 rebuilding seasons, we had a replacement-level Sandy Alomar as our catcher in the early aughts, and it seemed like a coup. Everybody even wants him to be in any manager mix because he somehow learned how to "win" in Cleveland. But a Salvatore Perez who could rake, comparatively, sucks because he somehow learned how to lose in Kansas City. 

Perhaps we should be chasing the garbage Texas won't resign because they have intrinsic wisdom on how to win, now. 

It’s not that he sucks. It’s that he has a ton of miles on his legs, is on the decline, and is very expensive for Jerry standards.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I don’t think anyone would be upset if we were talking about prime Salvy, but we aren’t. He would just be another shitty KC import at this stage of his career.  And hardly worth the cost to acquire him.  Besides, it’s not like the next wave of Sox talent is already in the bigs needing the guidance of a veteran pro. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I don’t think anyone would be upset if we were talking about prime Salvy, but we aren’t. He would just be another shitty KC import at this stage of his career.  And hardly worth the cost to acquire him.  Besides, it’s not like the next wave of Sox talent is already in the bigs needing the guidance of a veteran pro. 

"The White Sox are changing their ways"

Flashback to Manny Ramirez, Jimmy Rollins, Andruw Jones, Justin Morneau (truly unforgivable), Ken Griffey Jr. (Griffey was good! But he fit the MO), Edwin Encarnacion, Kevin Youkilis, Jose Canseco

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

"The White Sox are changing their ways"

Flashback to Manny Ramirez, Jimmy Rollins, Andruw Jones, Justin Morneau (truly unforgivable), Ken Griffey Jr. (Griffey was good! But he fit the MO), Edwin Encarnacion, Kevin Youkilis, Jose Canseco

Same s%*#, ‘different’ box. It’s still just a box full of s%*#. 

• Kyyle23 changed the title to White Sox sign Martin Maldonado 1 year/4 million, vesting option for 2025