Why Sox need a Soxfest...

Lip Man 1

43 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

IMO, that’s a stupid decision if they are as bad as we mostly think they will be in 2024.  They may as well wait until they have a halfway decent season and then bring back SoxFest, since they have already proven to be so cowardly about facing the music over the last couple years.

The team's performance isn't really what drives Soxfest.  It is more of a nostalgic event for older fans to connect and younger fans to meet players.. 

You bring in guys like Thomas, Konerko, Kittle, Fisk, Durham etc. and roll out the manager, GM and some new guys and you have something.  This is where Anderson and Giolito would have been ideal the past few years. 

Reinsdorf would not be there in any case even if they won.  I don't think he ever had a role in anything there.  

Williams and Hahn were focal points and maybe Getz will be that.

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

The team's performance isn't really what drives Soxfest.  It is more of a nostalgic event for older fans to connect and younger fans to meet players.. 

You bring in guys like Thomas, Konerko, Kittle, Fisk, Durham etc. and roll out the manager, GM and some new guys and you have something.  This is where Anderson and Giolito would have been ideal the past few years. 

Reinsdorf would not be there in any case even if they won.  I don't think he ever had a role in anything there.  

I know that JR regularly attended Sox Fantasy Camp, don't know about Sox Fest. perhaps those who went to it can provide more information.

JR had a classic moment at Fantasy Camp one year as told to me by Ed Herrmann. JR was talking to the campers in an evening session and things got so heated that Bill Melton had to intervene to cool things down as they were close to getting physical. 

50 minutes ago, fathom said:

Makes me think they’re confident they will have a new stadium deal within next year 

Bingo. I don’t think they bring it back w/o a huge announcement that gets fans excited. Cuz the team in the field sure won’t. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I know that JR regularly attended Sox Fantasy Camp, don't know about Sox Fest. perhaps those who went to it can provide more information.

JR had a classic moment at Fantasy Camp one year as told to me by Ed Herrmann. JR was talking to the campers in an evening session and things got so heated that Bill Melton had to intervene to cool things down as they were close to getting physical. 

I went to every one since '03.  He could be seen around but was not a focus of the event.  In later years the event sucked as you had to spend a fortune to get in on Friday and the Palmer House was a horrible venue.

There were some really cool aspects to it.  I would go to have a few beers and look forward to spring.  

I gave my tickets away to this event. 

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Let's be honest here, the whole reason the fan base is upset about no Soxfest is they want the opportunity to yell at someone.  The rest of it is a far 2nd place.

• Like 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Let's be honest here, the whole reason the fan base is upset about no Soxfest is they want the opportunity to yell at someone.  The rest of it is a far 2nd place.

I agree, but still they need to face the music. We do know if the Sox were what they claimed they would be the last 2 seasons, Soxfest would actually happen.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Back in the 90s , season ticketholders got a Weekend pass for 25 or 30 bucks. The only time I saw JR at Soxfest, a guy was complaining to him that not enough players were there. 

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree, but still they need to face the music. We do know if the Sox were what they claimed they would be the last 2 seasons, Soxfest would actually happen.

I get it, but it is a waste of time for people to pretend they want to meet Ron Kittle again.  Just be honest.  They are bitter and angry and want someone to yell at.  No one cares about the kids baserunning session.

42 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I went to every one since '03.  He could be seen around but was not a focus of the event.  In later years the event sucked as you had to spend a fortune to get in on Friday and the Palmer House was a horrible venue.

There were some really cool aspects to it.  I would go to have a few beers and look forward to spring.  

I gave my tickets away to this event. 

I went for a lot of years up until 2006 at the Regency, which was a spectacular venue.  With as crazy as it was post championship, we quit going.  Throw in the venue change, and it was a huge downgrade in quality too.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean, I’d like to take my sons to SoxFest who want to go to see players and get autographs.  Yelling is actually a second for me (although I’d love to partake) and I’m sure there are many others with young children who feel the same.

• Like 6
  • Hawk 1

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, I’d like to take my sons to SoxFest who want to go to see players and get autographs.  Yelling is actually a second for me (although I’d love to partake) and I’m sure there are many others with young children who feel the same.

Yup. And mine are they age I was when I started going. So I've been pissed I haven't been able to share that with them. 

That being said, I too would gladly speak my mind....as eloquently as possible. 

• Like 2
  • Hawk 1

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

IMO, that’s a stupid decision if they are as bad as we mostly think they will be in 2024.  They may as well wait until they have a halfway decent season and then bring back SoxFest, since they have already proven to be so cowardly about facing the music over the last couple years.

Isn't waiting until they have a good season to bring it back more cowardly than bringing it back after a bad season?

Don't get me wrong. I'm nowhere near ready to give them the benefit of the doubt on anything, but I don't really follow your logic here.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not a single person has mentioned this when Soxfest has been talked about, but sure.

Tonight was a good time. Very unique. We pretty much had the whole museum to ourselves, players were scattered throughout, and you got get a pic or autograph if you wanted. Got to talk to Sheets, Eder, Soroka, Kittle, DeJong and Montgomery. I’d say for what the Sox have offered season ticket holders in the past, this was one of the better events pre-Covid, despite all the beer running out in the first 45 min. I drink wine too so it was whatever.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

This is precisely why they don't need the event. When he becomes a therapy session for adults it's no longer fun for many fans especially the kids. 

8 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Tonight was a good time. Very unique. We pretty much had the whole museum to ourselves, players were scattered throughout, and you got get a pic or autograph if you wanted. Got to talk to Sheets, Eder, Soroka, Kittle, DeJong and Montgomery. I’d say for what the Sox have offered season ticket holders in the past, this was one of the better events pre-Covid, despite all the beer running out in the first 45 min. I drink wine too so it was whatever.

I was also there and agree that it was very cool setting and event. My wife really enjoyed exploring the museum and exhibits in a non-crowded setting.