Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

22 minutes ago, tray said:

"After the crooked river canal was filled and what is now known as the Rezko property was born, the land was used as a train yard and entry point for Grand Central until the 1970’s. When the yard was demolished, no one bothered to hook up sewer or water pipes or run electricity to the property, or even build streets or sidewalks to the lot. Located 30 feet below Roosevelt Road, the property is practically inaccessible from three sides—and, if anyone wanted to build on it, they’d first have to invest significantly in preliminary infrastructure as well as clean up all the garbage and chemicals in the soil. This is partially why Rezko failed to do anything with the land—besides having to deal instead with his money laundering and fraud convictions, of course."

https://www.chicagomag.com/city-life/august-2013/rezkos-lot/

Congrats, you have once again proven what everyone else already knew. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

If it's going to be corporate I think they at least should keep it local and something fans will like and also something that will make visitors curious.  "Giordano's Field." "Malnati's Stadium." "Buona Ballpark." "Portillo's Park." I mean those places probably don't have the money to shell out for naming rights but at least it would iconic to the city (even if they are all chains and the best ones are the mom-n-pop shops that only the locals know).

When it comes down to it, they're probably going with the highest bidder, regardless of local ties or not. Ultimately it's a business decision.

I wonder if McDonalds or Walgreens are so big and ubiquitous, its not worth it to purchase the naming rights to a stadium. 

My favorite was the period of time when the park was named US Cellular but you couldn't get US Cellular in Illinois because it like left the market or something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Eh, you’d be surprised. But it wouldn’t happen for such smaller companies. The nationwide brands will always be able to beat it.

If we give the naming rights to Nationwide, will they end that wretched jingle??

20 hours ago, dohnut said:

I don’t know about that - I’ll definitely be planning a weekend trip in Vegas to see the Sox. I imagine a lot of baseball fans of other teams will as well.

I wonder how many fans went to Oakland to see their team? Maybe dozens. 

There is also some civic pride in having a major sports team. 

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Congrats, you have once again proven what everyone else already knew. 

I am always among the last to gather facts and formulate opinions.

Edited by tray

9 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

White Sox Park at Dearborn Park Presented by The Village of Bedford Park

I like it.   JerryBuilt Stadium was the best I could come up with.  (WWI reference)

Edited by Stinky Stanky

12 hours ago, pcq said:

Steve Stone Field at OnYourSidePark. 

There is not a great skyline view from Clark and Roosevelt looking online but plenty of room for Reinsdorf Tower. 

11 hours ago, Texsox said:

There is also some civic pride in having a major sports team. 

For sure. I have find memories of the time one a fan smuggled a firearm into the stadium in her gunt and accidentally fired a round at her unsuspecting seat mate. 

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

For sure. I have find memories of the time one a fan smuggled a firearm into the stadium in her gunt and accidentally fired a round at her unsuspecting seat mate. 

In my day you ran on the field and committed assault up close and personal. Lazy kids these days lol

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

15 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

White Sox Park at Dearborn Park Presented by The Village of Bedford Park

Trying to find a way to fit in a “we lay it on thick” in there somewhere.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pcq said:

There is not a great skyline view from Clark and Roosevelt looking online but plenty of room for Reinsdorf Tower. 

What if they built it closer to the southern end of he property?

It's not like it's an up-close-and-personal view of the skyline, but it's something.

View from just north of 15th and Clark per Google Maps (LINK)
image.png

obviously it's something to discuss, but when you think about it, this whole thing is laughable. The state will significantly help build a new park, while they have another a short distance away in perfectly fine condition? 

Or Jerry Reinsdolrf is going to spend a billion or two of his own money building the park? C'mon. man.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

obviously it's something to discuss, but when you think about it, this whole thing is laughable. The state will significantly help build a new park, while they have another a short distance away in perfectly fine condition? 

Or Jerry Reinsdolrf is going to spend a billion or two of his own money building the park? C'mon. man.

Unless Jerry has decided to pass on the team to Michael, it really doesn’t make sense.  It it not likely that Jerry will be around to see the team play at another location in the city and doesn’t make sense that he would be all in on it 

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't think it's that laughable, Jerry is looking at liberty media's money printer in atlanta. I don't care if he's old, he likes this stuff, and real estate is much more his passion, honestly maybe even more than union busting.

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Unless Jerry has decided to pass on the team to Michael, it really doesn’t make sense.  It it not likely that Jerry will be around to see the team play at another location in the city and doesn’t make sense that he would be all in on it 

He could be all in on maximizing franchise value, and a new stadium is a pretty quick way to do exactly that.  I don't expect him to get the 1989 deal out of this, but I don't think he will be Jerry Jones paying cash for an opulent stadium either.  It will be somewhere in the middle.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He could be all in on maximizing franchise value, and a new stadium is a pretty quick way to do exactly that.  I don't expect him to get the 1989 deal out of this, but I don't think he will be Jerry Jones paying cash for an opulent stadium either.  It will be somewhere in the middle.

He has never been all in on anything during his 43+ year reign. Hard to believe that starts now. It certainly hasn't with the team.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He has never been all in on anything during his 43+ year reign. Hard to believe that starts now. It certainly hasn't with the team.

It lets him build LaRussa's Lounge AND Loretta's Lounge, making it so he can do right by TLR (in his eyes) without controversy 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

While it's all exciting to talk about and the stadium wold be a great place to watch games, my bet it's all a negotiating ploy to get a better deal for when the lease is up in 5 years for the current ballpark. 

• Like 1