Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

35 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Worse than the area around the park now?

Someone hasn’t spent much time in either neighborhood and it shows with every ignorant post. The bit is so tired at this point that he’s insulting our intelligence with its continuance. 

• Fire 4

1 hour ago, tray said:

Exactly. This is the second or third development proposed/hyped by Related for that site. GRF allows Sox fans to experience most of the park as long as they do not have 500 level seats, and most do not.  It looks like there are 3-4 levels on one side and what looks like restaurants or private boxes in the outfield, No brick and ivy, palladian arches or any other classic baseball stadium architecture - that for an original mlb franchise that has been at another location for over 100 years. I suppose the design of cold steel and glass was necessitated to fit into surrounding building architecture -  so OK, Mies van der Rohe on baseball steroids. Modernism / minimalism but I suspect that many baseball fans prefer more traditional parks. Would tourists rather go to that cold steel and glass place than Wrigley?  No.. I hear the company that makes Windex likes it though.

Lmao how many dumb excuses are you going to pull out of your ass on this

• Like 3
  • Fire 3

32 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Someone hasn’t spent much time in either neighborhood and it shows with every ignorant post. The bit is so tired at this point that he’s insulting our intelligence with its continuance. 

It’s still the perception though for many casual baseball fans in the suburbs

• Like 1

I live in Manhattan but grew up in Chicago.  Related created a whole new neighborhood with Hudson Yards on the west side of Manhattan.  Their experience here matches exactly what they would need to do in Chicago and what I believe they would be successful with.  Any comments about the current neighborhood aren't relevant.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Bridgeport is one of the safest neighborhoods in the city, save for like the far Northside. Much safer than say, Wrigleyville.

When I did my very long historical piece on the relationship between the White Sox and the media in 2010 I quoted the figures from the Chicago Police Department that showed a significant more crime reports and issues around "Wrigleyville" than around the Comiskey Park/Bridgeport Area.

But the social unrest of the 1960's gave rise to the perception that the area around Comiskey was a "dangerous place."

Perception often becomes reality and the Sox have been fighting that, with mixed results, for decades now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

But that’s where the extremely residential setting of 35 and shields hurts. It’s a great neighborhood and it has lots of good restaurants and cultural attractions. But it isn’t really around the Sox stadium and there aren’t really lots of pedestrians and traffic that signify it’s safety near the park.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bmags said:

But that’s where the extremely residential setting of 35 and shields hurts. It’s a great neighborhood and it has lots of good restaurants and cultural attractions. But it isn’t really around the Sox stadium and there aren’t really lots of pedestrians and traffic that signify it’s safety near the park.

Neighborhood related, not specifically stadium related, but I look forward to checking out the renovated Ramova Theatre a mile west of Comiskey Park II, including Other Half’s taproom and possibly an event. Really hope they are successful long term, and it’s nice to have a third brewery to visit pre/post Sox Game (joining Whiner and Marz).

Chinatown/Bridgeport property does very well being close to downtown via car or El. A thoughtful large project on the IFSA land can really turn into a win win for all involved, whether the Fire comes in with a much smaller stadium and parking footprint (all the lots north of 35th redeveloped) or whether the entire site is all residential with viable retail amenities and no sports component. People aren’t exactly flocking to DePaul’s new stadium, and I don’t think the Fire or sports should be the first concept there just because it is now if the Sox leave the area.

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

“If you build it, they will come.”

Same owner, different failed coach and organization.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

Adding to the historical charm, the only source of artificial light will be the fans' cell phone flashlight settings, sponsored by Duracell on Google Play. 

19 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/02/08/white-sox-likely-would-have-to-change-state-law-to-get-taxpayer-funding-for-new-stadium/

Allen Sanderson, a senior lecturer at the University of Chicago who studies the economics of sports, said he’s skeptical any new sports venue, including a new downtown White Sox ballpark, can on its own generate billions in new investment.

“Usually when you hear the figure someone gives you on a project’s economic impact, it’s best to take the decimal point and move it one spot to the left, so you end up at about 10% of the original estimate,” he said. “That’s probably what’s going to happen.”

And if the White Sox want to fill a huge new ballpark, ownership will have to field a better team.

“I hate to say this, but at the moment, all five of our pro teams suck. They’re just unwatchable,” Sanderson said

10% seems  a bit low. Cities  wouldn't be building these stadiums if they weren't making money. Portland  has major plans on the table  which would build a new baseball stadium and other buildings around it.

15 hours ago, bmags said:

The CTU pension fund is not a government handout, it is the investment vehicle for all the funds the teachers pay into. Pensions invest in a variety of places including real estate, and was already being recruited to invest in the Lincoln Yards project.

Your popcorn won't be paired with something very interesting, basically.

I know what the CTU pension fund is as my wife payed into it for well over a decade. 

Related Midwest is a private company though so I'm not exactly sure how the CTU would legally be allowed to invest in the new Sox stadium development? 

The governmet handout is going to be when Jerry Reinsdorf and Stephen Ross coming ask the City and State for massive subisdies in order to get this project completed. That is when the popcorn will come out. Stephen Ross is worth over 10 billion. JR is most likely worth half of that. Let these billioniares pay for their own stadium if they want it that bad. 

The teachers union out in Vegas is currently suing to stop public funds from going to construct a new As stadium. I will wager a hefty amount that the DSA affiliated CTU will do something similiar when JR and his cronies come asking for hundreds of millions of $$$. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

36 is young bro. Be glad you'll get a new park in the prime of your life!

I know it is young in comparison to a lot of people but it is still strange to think about lol. My 1st born is going to be 10 which is just crazy to think about

• Like 1

Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

I know it is young in comparison to a lot of people but it is still strange to think about lol. My 1st born is going to be 10 which is just crazy to think about

a little off topic but I just turned 40 and my buddy is about to in a month and I was trying to tell him that if he works out and keeps himself in shape he'll feel about the same new as he did at 30. Yea you got sore easier and your joints are more worn but my workouts are still about the same as they were 10 years ago.

Yea it would be nice to be 25 again, but 40 is not like some magical cliff that you just topple down physically. People need to realize that with weight training, the right supplements (not talking T, just creatine and some others) you can maintain strong physical fitness well into middle age and beyond.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

a little off topic but I just turned 40 and my buddy is about to in a month and I was trying to tell him that if he works out and keeps himself in shape he'll feel about the same new as he did at 30. Yea you got sore easier and your joints are more worn but my workouts are still about the same as they were 10 years ago.

Yea it would be nice to be 25 again, but 40 is not like some magical cliff that you just topple down physically. People need to realize that with weight training, the right supplements (not talking T, just creatine and some others) you can maintain strong physical fitness well into middle age and beyond.

I don’t think he has anything to do with age. Having more responsibilities as you age and not going to as many games as you did when you were younger. Not as free to attend games now married with a kid on the way than when I was in my late teens/early 20s going often during the summer with my friends.

Edited by Bob Sacamano