Sox trade Cristian Mena to Arizona for OF Dominic Fletcher

Heads22

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

The only guys I can think of that the Sox could dfa to make room for MiLB signings are some of the older guys who may not have long-term value like Banks (he's 32) and Scholtens but they have options. I'm also not really sure if they would get picked up or not. Lambert and Peralta (just meh guys really) too I guess. Also depends on if Shane Drohan makes the team out of Spring Training I guess.

Both Martin and Foster will likely hit the 60-day IL coming back from TJ. That will help add two more guys.

• Like 1

McCarthy already 26 but with control through 2028…1 pre arb and 4 arbitration years.

Obviously his 2022 rookie season fWAR of 2.4 and being left-handed stand out.  Negative defensive numbers in the outfield.

Only a net of 0.1 fWAR in 99 games this past season, that would have fit right in w/ the Sox at least.

One thing worth pointing out is that Arizona’s AAA site (Reno) is super offensive friendly and anyone even worth the slightest damn absolutely crushes there.  Accordingly, Jake McCarthy put up some fantastic numbers there (better than Fletcher), but has been a very ordinary hitter in the majors so far.  Not looking to throw more shade at this move, but Dominic’s AAA numbers are somewhat meaningless without additional context, especially the power figures.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The worst case scenario about this trade looks to be coming true.  Mena has apparently found his lost velocity this spring with the Diamondbacks.

“Prospect Cristian Mena’s velocity popping at Diamondbacks' camp“

In his live batting practice sessions this spring, Mena’s fastball has been sitting in the 94-96 mph range, up a few ticks from his 92 mph average last season.

“It’s early; we’ll see if he can hold it,” Hazen said on Friday. “But it’s definitely a positive sign. If the fastball starts playing better, I think he’s going to have a lot of success.”

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • TLR 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Of course 

1 minute ago, T R U said:

Of course he has.

I thought this trade was great when I heard Mena was topping off at 92.  If he can maintain 94-96, man, I don’t know about this one.  Getz’s obsession with grindy players like him may be his undoing.

• Fire 1

25 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The worst case scenario about this trade looks to be coming true.  Mena has apparently found his lost velocity this spring with the Diamondbacks.

“Prospect Cristian Mena’s velocity popping at Diamondbacks' camp“

Hmm. It's like a few of us said. A 20 year old probably isn't a finished product. Especially one that's pitching in AAA already.

Go Mena go!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 2

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I don't hate the trade. I get it. I hope both succeed. But the folks writing off Mena as a nothing sure were some bizarre takes to me.

If Fletcher was in his early 20’s rather than 26, this trade really would’ve made more sense.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

One thing that has struck me about all 3 of these trades is that the Sox, despite being the team that is rebuilding, sent away the only real prospect of the bunch. 

We didn't make any of the teams we traded with feel paid or trepidation.   Instead we he helped them relieve their 40-man crunches, and those that weren't  on the 40 man were really 3rd tier guys.
A lot of volume, and hopefully some of it works out.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

There's been a lot of great discussion on this trade and I can't add much more but this seems like a trade where the Sox "win" only if Fletcher produces like 3-4 solid seasons. Otherwise you just gave up a prospect for another fringe roster guy and why do we need a fringe roster guy in a rebuild? 

I dunno, maybe there's like a 1/5 chance chance this backfires horribly but that's still a 1/5 chance you should not take. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There's been a lot of great discussion on this trade and I can't add much more but this seems like a trade where the Sox "win" only if Fletcher produces like 3-4 solid seasons. Otherwise you just gave up a prospect for another fringe roster guy and why do we need a fringe roster guy in a rebuild? 

I dunno, maybe there's like a 1/5 chance chance this backfires horribly but that's still a 1/5 chance you should not take. 

Honestly the most likely outcome is both teams get minimal to no output out of these guys.

• Like 3

This team should probably be in a complete rebuild, so I understand where the complaints about this trade are coming from. As in we got someone older for someone younger. But don't we have control over Fletcher for a long time?

I know he's not Mickey Mantle, but I know Baseball Reference projects a .764 OPS for him. Not horrid. Probably even better if he only hits against righties.

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Hmm. It's like a few of us said. A 20 year old probably isn't a finished product. Especially one that's pitching in AAA already.

Go Mena go!

Everyone knows you trade the 20-year-old with a plus curve for the 26-year-old platoon OF.

• Paper Bag 1