Sox trade Cristian Mena to Arizona for OF Dominic Fletcher

Heads22

3 hours ago, KipWellsFan said:

I know he's not Mickey Mantle, but I know Baseball Reference projects a .764 OPS for him. Not horrid. Probably even better if he only hits against righties.

You see, the guy we sent can fog a mirror, and without worrying where the ball ended up, threw one 96. The guy we got won't be making the Hall-of-Fame. So the trade sucked for the White Sox.  

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

You see, the guy we sent can fog a mirror, and without worrying where the ball ended up, threw one 96. The guy we got won't be making the Hall-of-Fame. So the trade sucked for the White Sox.  

If Fletcher ends up being a platoon outfielder with a .764 OPS, it doesn’t look like a very good trade.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

per Nightengale, White Sox showing interest in Tommy Pham if he doesn't sign with the Padres for a 1-year, $3-4 million deal. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2024/03/17/padres-dodgers-pandemic-espn-karl-ravech-eduardo-perez/73000437007/

Doesn’t say much about Fletcher that the Sox are looking to add another outfielder at this point.

2 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

No bueno. 

Prepare for Gavin Sheets as the everyday RF 🤦🏽‍♀️

I hope Fletcher proves otherwise, but that trade is looking really bad right now. 

• TLR 1
  • Paper Bag 1

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

I hope Fletcher proves otherwise, but that trade is looking really bad right now. 

If we use Sheets as the strong side platoon in RF, then Getz should be fired immediately because he’d be even more full s%*# than Grifol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do not believe in Spring stats as the be all and end all, but they do have minor predictive value. More importantly, Grifol declared it an open competition. What credibility will he have if he hands a guy the job based on a garbage spring?  I fear both Moustakas and Sheets are making this team and Charlotte has both Fletcher and DeLoach in the outfield with Colas at first. Kinda worst case scenario.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I agree, you could see this coming a few months ago in my opinion.

40 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I do not believe in Spring stats as the be all and end all, but they do have minor predictive value. More importantly, Grifol declared it an open competition. What credibility will he have if he hands a guy the job based on a garbage spring?  I fear both Moustakas and Sheets are making this team and Charlotte has both Fletcher and DeLoach in the outfield with Colas at first. Kinda worst case scenario.

Sheets isn’t a legitimate OF option though.  How has DeLoach been this spring?  If bad, I’m not sure what alternative they really have.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sheets isn’t a legitimate OF option though.  How has DeLoach been this spring?  If bad, I’m not sure what alternative they really have.

Ortega and Phillips just as bad if not worse.

Btw ... let's see how popular Cease acquisition targets Warren and Jones (Yankees) and Stowers (Orioles) sustain their ST accolades.

Way too much emphasis on a limited number of at bats...but they are usually utilized by managers as "evidence" that youngsters like Fletcher aren't 100% ready when a vet could easily take that spot.

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

The one thing going for us is that there are already a lot of 40-man roster spots that will be needed if Leasure, Nastrini, Thorpe, Mendick, and Pillar all make the team. I don't think we have to worry too much about Moose taking up a spot.

5 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

The one thing going for us is that there are already a lot of 40-man roster spots that will be needed if Leasure, Nastrini, Thorpe, Mendick, and Pillar all make the team. I don't think we have to worry too much about Moose taking up a spot.

Still don't see Thorpe making the Opening Day roster.  We'll see.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Fletcher will be the primary right fielder and start vs RHP. Are we really taking anything out of 44 spring training plate appearances? Who gives a s%*# 

You know it!

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I'm all for a 10-30 start if that is what it takes to flush the veteran nonsense and Pedro down the toliet,

Late May Target:

Manager: Montoyo (Conduct a legitimate search for permanent manager including Montoyo after season end)

Position Players:

• (2) Catchers: Korey Lee and either Chuckie Robinson or Carlos Perez
  • (5) Infield: Vaughn, Sosa, Lopez, DeJong, Moncada
  • (3) Outfield: Benintendi, Colas (1B backup), Robert Jr.
  • (1) DH: Eloy
  • (2) Reserves: INF Popeye if ready and play him, otherwise Mendick or Remillard; OF Fletcher or DeLoach

10 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Fletcher will be the primary right fielder and start vs RHP. Are we really taking anything out of 44 spring training plate appearances? Who gives a s%*# 

Anything?  No.

Bad things?  Absolutely!