Hendriks signs with Red Sox

Lip Man 1

Feb. 15: Will Hendriks wait until summer to sign?

Liam Hendriks' reported self-imposed deadline came and went without the free-agent reliever signing with a team.

ESPN's Jeff Passan reported Wednesday that Hendriks was weighing multiple contract offers and would decide whether or not to sign with a team by Thursday. Since he didn't sign, he is expected to continue his rehab from Tommy John surgery before throwing for teams in July with the hope of joining a club for the stretch run.

3 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Haven't seen the data.  Did he have any information besides recovery time between the two?  Such as those who returned to previous level of performance and reinury/tear rate?  I know bracing may not have a significant n that have been followed since it is newer.  You hear of traditional pitchers who gain velocity post TJ rehab, is this seen with brace?  

They said that the return to MLB was at 88%. He didn't get into velocity or PLOF. 

Reinjury was 17% for traditional no data for the internal brace yet. . Return to MLB after revision was 30%. Ohtani has an uphill battle. 

This is data from 2000 until now. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

What a steal. wow.

That's basically a 1 year, $10 million deal for a reliever coming off TJS. That's pretty decent money for a guy when you don't know what you'll get from the guy. 

• Like 1

I stated last year I hope the Sox would renegotiate his 2024 contract to have a two year deal with a solid addition for 2025.

Not sure how open he was to staying here on a non-contender, but it’s not as though Boston has significantly better prospects or ownership.

Wonder what other offers, if any, he received, and what the Sox told him last October.

• Quin changed the title to Hendriks signs with Red Sox
3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

That's basically a 1 year, $10 million deal for a reliever coming off TJS. That's pretty decent money for a guy when you don't know what you'll get from the guy. 

You know you will get 100% every time he steps on the field. He'll be prepared. 

I wish him the best. 

23 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The Sox could have had him for free - right? I should say - the only cost the Sox would have had would have been whatever the PV of paying Hendricks now vs. the ability to defer his payment over how many years.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

The Sox could have had him for free - right? I should say - the only cost the Sox would have had would have been whatever the PV of paying Hendricks now vs. the ability to defer his payment over how many years.  

Yes, but only for this year. The Red Sox basically are paying him $10 million for 2025, with a tiny sweetener of "maybe he can throw a few innings in late 2024."

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/02/23/liam-hendriks-red-sox-white-sox-boston-chicago-mlb-tommy-john-cancer

“We had too many guys pulling in different directions, too many cooks in the kitchen trying to fix what they thought was [wrong],” he said this week. “There’s a lot of Type A people in a clubhouse. You’ve got certain people thinking, ‘This is the way it’s got to go.’ Certain people want to fix something, so they just scream and yell until someone fixes it. There wasn’t, honestly, enough positivity and eagerness to go out there and play on a day-to-day basis.”

According to Hendriks, some Sox teammates didn’t like it, in particular how open and accessible he was with the media.

“Some guys thought I was seeking too much attention,” he said. “But when you answer questions in a non-generic way, they tend to come to you a little bit more. And I’m not one to shy away from a conversation, whether it be uncomfortable, whether I’m going well, whether I’m going poorly. I want to be as transparent as I can, because baseball is a very stoic man’s sport.

• Fire 1