Sox Sign Mike Moustakas

Heads22

26 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He was better than Gavin Sheets last year. 

Yeah, I wasn’t thinking of him in place of Sheets.  However, I suppose he could make the team over Sheets.  There’s no way they’d carry both, right?  Right?

*insert scared face emoji here*

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Yeah, I wasn’t thinking of him in place of Sheets.  However, I suppose he could make the team over Sheets.  There’s no way they’d carry both, right?  Right?

*insert scared face emoji here*

Not sure how they could. Bench is seemingly: Moustakas, Pillar, Stassi and Mendick 

4 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I’ll say this much about Getz: He has completely flipped the roster.  This team looks very different.

We need Bobby Witt Jr. a lot more than all of these additions combined x 10.

They weren't even a competitive organization (KC) from 2017 onwards.  That's a full seven years ago...feels more like a decade, in fact.

The crazy part is that dumping Chapman on the Rangers last year gave them their second most valuable player...you couldn't trade every offseason addition for him now.

Edited by caulfield12

31 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Totally agree, but that's a lot of 40-man spots needed. Struggling to find logic of cutting any additional position players on it for washed up vets.

Sosa and Rodriguez would seem to be the most immediately impacted...feels like they already wrote off those two, along with Lee and Colas.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

The two things useful about Moustakus is he can cover both 1B/3B, and he can finally relegate Sheets off the roster for good, and for that reason I’m in.

That said, if scrappy old guys keep their regular and reserve spots over ready younger players because Pedro/Tony love them some veterans than FU White Sox. Getz needs to make sure all of these guys are fungible to bench or release. They can’t have the same BS as last year with Pedro trying to “win now”.

Middle Infield, RF and non catcher bench: 

“Win Now”:

• Starters: Lopez (29), DeJong (30), Pillar (35)
  • Reserves: 2B/SS Mendick (30); 1B/3B Moustakus (really old); OF Fletcher (26)

“Develop Now” if/when ready for MLB - Play regularly if here:

• Starters (+ back up 3B/CF): Rodriguez (22); Sosa (24), Fletcher (26)
  • Reserves: 2B/SS Shewmake (26); 2B/SS/3B Lopez (29); OF DeLoach (25) or Colas (25)

21 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The two things useful about Moustakus is he can cover both 1B/3B, and he can finally relegate Sheets off the roster for good, and for that reason I’m in.

That said, if scrappy old guys keep their regular and reserve spots over ready younger players because Pedro/Tony love them some veterans than FU White Sox. Getz needs to make sure all of these guys are fungible to bench or release. They can’t have the same BS as last year with Pedro trying to “win now”.

Middle Infield, RF and non catcher bench: 

“Win Now”:

• Starters: Lopez (29), DeJong (30), Pillar (35)
  • Reserves: 2B/SS Mendick (30); 1B/3B Moustakus (really old); OF Fletcher (26)

“Develop Now” if/when ready for MLB - Play regularly if here:

• Starters (+ back up 3B/CF): Rodriguez (22); Sosa (24), Fletcher (26)
  • Reserves: 2B/SS Shewmake (26); 2B/SS/3B Lopez (29); OF DeLoach (25) or Colas (25)

The three youngest players are the ones who most likely won't get to play this year...

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The three youngest players are the ones who most likely won't get to play this year...

I don’t want anyone rushed, especially Ramos, Montgomery and Quero, but if anyone I listed are clearly ready to be promoted, they should be here and play 4-5 games a week. 

Too many prospects were brought in the past to watch games, or rushed because Hahn couldn’t do his job.

Fletcher needs to play regardless, in part because they need to prove they didn’t screw up the Mena trade, and you may as well play him regularly to see what if anything you do have (at least everyday vs. RHP) the next year or two, and perhaps he will be more than a platoon reserve OF.

Lopez is perhaps the next veteran with any value because of position flexibility, but the rest can be tossed like salad if anything younger and better comes along. That includes both veteran catchers, would DFA Maldonado over Stassi unless Stassi has health or durablity issues.

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Enough with the ex-Angels, already. But I guess that's the lefty power bat everyone craves. Maybe he can play right field. 

Well, he’s a lefty but the last time he was a power bat was 2019 with the Brewers.  He has never played the outfield in his career.  But I will support any move that gets Sheets off of the roster and prevents Grifail from playing him in the outfield.

2 hours ago, Heads22 said:

Gavin seems like a nice enough guy thats been played out of position in a situation that hasn't been conducive to development. He probably deserves a change of scenery but going to Charlotte is fine. Or if they find a move to fill a different spot. As fathom said, its also very believable that someone (Yoan) gets hurt at some point, possibly in Spring Training. 

His bat has gotten worse over the years but I’m not sure how playing him out of position is to blame.  More than likely, pitchers just figured out the massive hole in his swing at the dish.  He’s just more AAA fodder that was drafted too high by the Sox.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2