Tim Anderson signs with MIA, 1Y/5M

Sleepy Harold

58 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Would have paid him that to play 2B and bumped Nicky to a bench role.

Especially since Nicky only cost $700K less than Anderson.

In hindsight, Anderson starting at 2B with Lopez anywhere else and Mendick/Sosa backing up would have definitely been much more ideal for having an additional piece of trade bait at the deadline.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • TLR 1

The sour ending to TA's run will fade over time, but I'll always remember the Field of Dreams walk-off.

I had gone on leave for several months from my job to care for my dad at the time. He was paralyzed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's). He was still the same person mentally, just trapped in his body. Watching TV had become his main entertainment, so I can't overemphasize how much events like that meant to him.

Everything about that game was perfect. I grew up in Iowa, close enough to that field to have taken a field trip there as a kid. The entire sky turned this incredible pink color that night, which I'd never seen it do before or since. It was surreal to see our Sox playing under the same sky we saw out the window of my parents' place.

Even if they'd only blown the lead in the top of the 9th, I would've been very grateful for the memory. But to walk it off like that made it beyond special to us. Thanks TA.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, shoeless_joe21 said:

The sour ending to TA's run will fade over time, but I'll always remember the Field of Dreams walk-off.

I had gone on leave for several months from my job to care for my dad at the time. He was paralyzed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's). He was still the same person mentally, just trapped in his body. Watching TV had become his main entertainment, so I can't overemphasize how much events like that meant to him.

Everything about that game was perfect. I grew up in Iowa, close enough to that field to have taken a field trip there as a kid. The entire sky turned this incredible pink color that night, which I'd never seen it do before or since. It was surreal to see our Sox playing under the same sky we saw out the window of my parents' place.

Even if they'd only blown the lead in the top of the 9th, I would've been very grateful for the memory. But to walk it off like that made it beyond special to us. Thanks TA.

I agree. That was a great experience to be part of. Probably the best non-post season experience for me.

The fog bowl was a good one too as I was near the goal post when butler hit it but we couldn't see if it went in.

• Like 2

I don't want TA at any price. He needs a clean slate and to get away from the off field distractions in Chicago. The Marlins can try and rehab his value but TA is a guy that has always relied on quick twitch ability rather than skill. At 30, he's going to have a hard time keeping that quick top hand and the speed (and health) needed to maintain the high BABIP he had in his prime.

There's a decent chance he's just done as a MLB player imo. I don't think he has the adjustments needed if his athletic ability has declined as much as it looked last year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't want TA at any price. He needs a clean slate and to get away from the off field distractions in Chicago. The Marlins can try and rehab his value but TA is a guy that has always relied on quick twitch ability rather than skill. At 30, he's going to have a hard time keeping that quick top hand and the speed (and health) needed to maintain the high BABIP he had in his prime.

There's a decent chance he's just done as a MLB player imo. I don't think he has the adjustments needed if his athletic ability has declined as much as it looked last year.

In an upcoming season and likely season(s) in which the Sox are going to be a bad team, we should want players that have a chance at rebounding and being worth something by the trade deadline.  That is not guys like DeJong and Lopez.  It was guys like Rosario and Anderson.  Getz signed a bunch of veterans to one year deals that will be worth nill at the deadline.  This defense and leadership strategy by Getz is all hype, considering most of the players that are providing it in 2024 are going to be free agents once the season ends — free agents that no GM will likely want to sign, except for maybe Getz.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • TLR 1

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

In an upcoming season and likely season(s) in which the Sox are going to be a bad team, we should want players that have a chance at rebounding and being worth something by the trade deadline.  That is not guys like DeJong and Lopez.  It was guys like Rosario and Anderson.  Getz signed a bunch of veterans to one year deals that will be worth nill at the deadline.  This defense and leadership strategy by Getz is all hype, considering most of the players that are providing it in 2024 are going to be free agents once the season ends — free agents that no GM will likely want to sign, except for maybe Getz.

TA isn't really a bounceback candidate tho. His underlying batting metrics are telling. 61% ground balls. 32% pull percentage.  His statcast data is brutal, like barely even a MLB player bad. His sprint speed IS BELOW AVERAGE. He's a shell of the guy that he was at 25, or even 27. For whatever reason, he stinks now.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 3
  • Fire 1

18 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

TA isn't really a bounceback candidate tho. His underlying batting metrics are telling. 61% ground balls. 32% pull percentage.  His statcast data is brutal, like barely even a MLB player bad. His sprint speed IS BELOW AVERAGE. He's a shell of the guy that he was at 25, or even 27. For whatever reason, he stinks now.

He was productive for 4 straight seasons prior to last year.  That is exactly the type of guy a crappy team should be trying to acquire on the cheap to serve as a bounceback / flip candidate.  What is the downside?  That they might stink because of Anderson?  They will stink with even worse options in DeJong and Lopez, and neither of these two bums will be wanted by any team at the deadline.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • TLR 1

I get what people are saying in terms of maybe getting something of value at the deadline if Tim can rebound, but I think Getz really wanted to clean house of the bad attitudes. I think our trade deadline guys are Cease, Eloy, and Moncada. If they can have a good first half, ship ‘em and kick this latest rebuild into high gear. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He was productive for 4 straight seasons prior to last year.  That is exactly the type of guy a crappy team should be trying to acquire on the cheap to serve as a bounceback / flip candidate.  What is the downside?  That they might stink because of Anderson?  They will stink with even worse options in DeJong and Lopez, and neither of these two bums will be wanted by any team at the deadline.

The downside? Leading the league in errors again? Another couple of bench clearing brawls over nothing? I'm not skilled enough to know if TA is done or not, but he's certainly a change of scenery candidate. They don't need every single player on the roster to be "flippable". I'm guessing Cease, Soroka, Brebbia and Knebel will get attention. I don't even think TA's a shortstop anymore. Which means he's Elvis Andrus. In a good year. 

I'm fine with DeJong and Lopez. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He needed a change of scenery. Fans in Miami will be pulling for him. It's a fresh start. I'm glad we didn't lock him into some $300 mil, play for us until retirement, contract extension a couple years ago. 

I wonder if Miami's offer was going up or down as the season opener for closer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hi8is said:

I don’t think I’ll ever find myself rooting for him.

I think he needs to go through the humble loop. "I'm just happy for the opportunity, just want to play hard and help my team, I'll miss the fans in Chicago, etc" and stay out of the limelight. 

He won't receive a Liam welcome in his first game back as a visitor, but it shouldn't be filled with too many boos. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Texsox said:

I think he needs to go through the humble loop. "I'm just happy for the opportunity, just want to play hard and help my team, I'll miss the fans in Chicago, etc" and stay out of the limelight. 

He won't receive a Liam welcome but it shouldn't be filled with too many boos. 

I don't think he'll get any boos. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

He needed a change of scenery. Fans in Miami will be pulling for him. It's a fresh start. I'm glad we didn't lock him into some $300 mil, play for us until retirement, contract extension a couple years ago. 

I wonder if Miami's offer was going up or down as the season opener for closer. 

Doubt they would ever offer anything over the $150-175 million range, but sure, FoD walk off Anderson MIGHT have been worth $200-225 million.

Similar numbers were once suggested for Giolito as well after his three year run of close to dominance before the wheels came off the last two seasons.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't think he'll get any boos. 

Liam was great and all, but Tim meant far more over his eight seasons with the White Sox, which Liam would most certainly acknowledge.

It's a shame 2023 happened. Would have loved to see both play well and end their years with the White Sox. Do agree it was better for both parties (Tim and the Sox) to part ways after how 2023 played out.

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

He won't receive a Liam welcome in his first game back as a visitor, but it shouldn't be filled with too many boos. 

It won't be for two years assuming he stays with Miami since the Sox go there this season.

I said at the time that Tim Anderson option wasn't some sure thing last year. I am not surprised it was declined and basically had to accept crumbs this free agency.

He was historically bad last year and isn't really a SS anymore. I am torn though because 1/5M is exactly the type of deal we should have been doing ourselves and really didn't sign much in the way of bounceback candidates. Whatever this year is going to suck regardless

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Like 1