Grade the Cease trade

Grade the Cease trade  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give the Cease trade?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Incomplete/Other

5 hours ago, SoxAce said:

B. Big Zavala fan.

I think he's the key. Keith Law went from being a huge fan of his in 2023 to saying he seems disinterested in 2024, If they can fix his attitude, supposedly the bat speed is ridicullously fast, he could be something. As far as Thorpe goes, he was traded for Soto and Cease. He must be a bit better than some of the scouts on here think.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Hawk 1

I’m going with B+. Cease was OK but he regressed last year and based on that I think we did well with this trade.
I didn’t think I’d ever see another rebuild but it is what it is and let’s hope they get this one right.

• Like 2

I gave it a B.  I think it's a good return, but not a fleecing.  Thorpe will most likely be part of the rotation this season.  Zavala is a very interesting OF prospect that could have an impact in the next year or two.  Iriarte is another interesting piece that could make an impact soon.  And Wilson, even as a throw in, adds to the bullpen and is under control for four more years.  There was a lot of risk holding on to Cease into the season and hoping for a haul at the deadline.  Remember how good Cease looked early last year before being rather pedestrian overall, certainly in comparison to 2022.

I think we all wanted some team to empty their farm for Cease, but that wasn't going to happen.  And if you have spent enough time reading the hundreds of pages in the other thread, you'll see those who didn't think Cease would fetch anything of value are giving this trade a D or F and saying "I told you so."  Those who claimed the Sox would get the moon for Cease are giving the trade a C saying "Let's see what happens."  And those with relatively open minds are thinking B for the trade.  Generalizations, I know, but there was so much volatility in that thread, and people dug in, and name-calling ensued.

It's over, and the Sox have again significantly improved their farm system.  Was it worth it?  Time will tell, but right now it's looking like a fair trade.

• Like 4

I went with B. I'm not going to pretend I know a ton about any of these guys, but Thorpe seems like a real deal and the other two have possible huge upside. Plus the reliever with a ton of control is a nice little bonus to me, keep him or potential flip guy. Getz is actually building pitching depth which is nice. Hahn would get five guys and call it a day. 

7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

For those freaking out about Thorpe, a Padres fan said their their stadium gun has been off by 4-5 MPH this spring. That would make Thorpe's reported 88-89 MPH fast yesterday actually like 92-94. That's a lot more in like with what he's been.

Also another note on Thorpe, Fangraphs actually things Thorpe will be better then Cease in 2024 given a similar amount of IP. 

I don't think this trade was a fleecing, but I think it was realistic and fair. Of course we loved to dream on fleecing one of these clubs but the closer we got to Opening Day, the more risk involved in holding Cease until July. I'm satisfied with this move even if they decided to diversify their risk across 3 good prospects vs just getting 1 headliner and a couple of throw ins.

A multi-BILLION dollar industry and they can’t get a working radar gun for Spring Training?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

I went with B. I'm not going to pretend I know a ton about any of these guys, but Thorpe seems like a real deal and the other two have possible huge upside. Plus the reliever with a ton of control is a nice little bonus to me, keep him or potential flip guy. Getz is actually building pitching depth which is nice. Hahn would get five guys and call it a day. 

People are sleeping on Steven Wilson. Its easy to see "29 year old reliever" in the trade and be like WTF? But this guy is actually pretty solid and by all accounts a great teammate as well. If he can have a great half year and be flipped for even more that's just a bonus.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, T R U said:

People are sleeping on Steven Wilson. Its easy to see "29 year old reliever" in the trade and be like WTF? But this guy is actually pretty solid and by all accounts a great teammate as well. If he can have a great half year and be flipped for even more that's just a bonus.

Yeah, he looks like a decent bullpen piece, and he's under control for a few more years.  When I first saw he was 29, that didn't even occur to me.  He could certainly be a flip candidate if he pitches well.

42 minutes ago, T R U said:

While this is true, it's also pretty obvious that this guy was included much more due to the 40 man roster slots needed than anything else. The White Sox, however, spent the entire offseason loading up on Meh caliber pitchers who could take 40 man roster spots and who they would hope to be able to flip, so it's not like they had no options if they didn't get this guy back. This just changes which meh caliber relievers they bring north with them. 

• Like 1

I gave the trade a C+. This puts some pressure on the new development team to finish the progress on Zavala and Iriarte. That is the biggest concern I have with the trade. I'm willing and crossing my fingers Bannister, Barfield, and Janish are putting things in place that made them successful in previous stops. 

I'm in the inc. 

One, it's so preliminary and dependent on factors that the Sox can't control. Example, if Cease blows out an arm next month it's an easy A win. 

I do think the team received as much as they were going to getz. Everyone in the league knew the Sox wanted to move him. 

Hot take it's a B and they were never going to get an A level return. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

While this is true, it's also pretty obvious that this guy was included much more due to the 40 man roster slots needed than anything else. The White Sox, however, spent the entire offseason loading up on Meh caliber pitchers who could take 40 man roster spots and who they would hope to be able to flip, so it's not like they had no options if they didn't get this guy back. This just changes which meh caliber relievers they bring north with them. 

Yeah, they have quite a few bullpen pieces to sort out.  They did before this trade, but with Wilson being a sure thing for the pen (most likely), this probably pushes out a guy like Chavez, Keller, Shaw, etc.

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

For those freaking out about Thorpe, a Padres fan said their their stadium gun has been off by 4-5 MPH this spring. That would make Thorpe's reported 88-89 MPH fast yesterday actually like 92-94. That's a lot more in like with what he's been.

Also another note on Thorpe, Fangraphs actually things Thorpe will be better then Cease in 2024 given a similar amount of IP. 

I don't think this trade was a fleecing, but I think it was realistic and fair. Of course we loved to dream on fleecing one of these clubs but the closer we got to Opening Day, the more risk involved in holding Cease until July. I'm satisfied with this move even if they decided to diversify their risk across 3 good prospects vs just getting 1 headliner and a couple of throw ins.

And the source of the “88-89” was none other than A.J. Pierzynski watching a steam with absolutely no context, so not surprising it’s a whole lot of nothing.

• Like 1

For me, I’d grade it a solid B right now.  Again, I wouldn’t use the word “steep” to describe it, but getting three top 150 prospects (include one of best 15 to 20 SP prospects in all of baseball) plus an interesting reliever is reasonable.  It’s very possible we could have gotten more by waiting until the deadline, but it would have been super risky given where the org stands currently.  I think Getz made the right call here.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Yeah, they have quite a few bullpen pieces to sort out.  They did before this trade, but with Wilson being a sure thing for the pen (most likely), this probably pushes out a guy like Chavez, Keller, Shaw, etc.

Shaw can be cut today and wouldn’t be missed. Same for Chavez. 

12 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think it's an A+ when you factor in what other the teams were offering.  The Padres offer blew away all the other offers. 

So?

If everyone's offering dog s%*#, I'm not giving Getz a medal just because he did somewhat better than that. 

It's a poor return on a premium asset. Dude got weak knees and jelly legs and let Preller own him. 

There's little risk taking him into the season if you aren't being offered anything. If he gets hurt, you don't lose much because you weren't offered much.

I'm supposed to crown this guy because he got 70 cents on the dollar when he was being offered 50 cents?

Nah. f*** him. 

He's a clown, Harold. I know you hate Hahn but that doesn't magically transform Getz into anything other than a fucking clown. 

His return is lame and his work is substandard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea, and also there are people that always insist you can only judge a trade a few years down the line. Well, you can do that too, but that's boring.

True. I'm one of those guys who hates giving grades right away. Very few would've thought much of anything about the Tatis, Jr. trade at the time. But now it's an F-.

Cease wasn't going to help the Sox win anything in the next 2 years so we've got 2 years to see if Zavala and Iriarte can keep an upward development path and if Thorpe can keep baffling hitters with that nasty changeup. He's look great in the 7 innings he pitched this spring all with very few innings under his belt in AA. Plus he's just about ready to pitch 150+ innings unlike guys like Crochet and Eder and quite a few others in our current rotation and in the minors.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

For me, I’d grade it a solid B right now.  Again, I wouldn’t use the word “steep” to describe it, but getting three top 150 prospects (include one of best 15 to 20 SP prospects in all of baseball) plus an interesting reliever is reasonable.  It’s very possible we could have gotten more by waiting until the deadline, but it would have been super risky given where the org stands currently.  I think Getz made the right call here.

The Padres had to give up 3 legit prospects (One top 50-60 and the other two in the 100-150 range) and a good reliever for one guy. I would consider that pretty steep. There was no filler in this trade. There are no Basabe or Diaz in this one, there are no Matt Rose or Bryan Flete. All players sent to the White Sox are promising or useful now.