2024 White Sox Opening Day thread 3/28 3:10 first pitch vs Detroit

41 minutes ago, Quin said:

Does Maldonado get the ball out of the infield?

With the bat, no. But I can imagine a passed ball getting that far away. 

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Pedro says something dumb pre-game

2 hours ago, fathom said:

People turn against the announcer 

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bold predictions:

• Crochet pitchers three innings of scoreless ball
  • Five relievers are used to complete the game
  • Shaw is one of those relievers and gives up three runs
  • Hill also gives up a run, but the other three are perfect
  • Offense only scores one run on a Robert solo shot
  • A base-running gaffe kills our best shot at a rally
  • The defense makes a handful of nice plays
  • Pedro says something really stupid during the post game

Boy you guys are some wild risk takers!

38 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Really thoughtful and love when athletes do this kind of thing, I just think he should rename his initiative to "Going, Going, Caught at the Warning Track". 

somehow I'm actually excited for opening day. Excited to see what Crochet can do, mostly. and just happy baseball is back. I'll try not to think about whether or not our players are intentionally throwing games because we already expect nothing out of them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

The least excited I have been about baseball and white sox in my 35 years of watching baseball

Honestly I feel the same way and this is my 64th as a Sox fan. They have drained a lot of the passion out of me the last few years. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

23 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

The least excited I have been about baseball and white sox in my 35 years of watching baseball

13 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Honestly I feel the same way and this is my 64th as a Sox fan. They have drained a lot of the passion out of me the last few years. 

Thank goodness for T-Mobile and free MLB.TV.  I couldn’t imagine paying to watch this team.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Take this for whatever it may be worth. Keith Law was on WGN-TV and he was asked how long before the White Sox will contend again.

He said three to five years.

He said the farm system was terrible and they are trying to improve it, he felt the Sox didn't get as much as they should have for Cease. He said part of the minor league system problem was Williams/Hahn was too conservative in their approach to the draft and this struck me, he said he hopes Getz would let the scouts do their job. Obviously a slap at Williams/Hahn.

Also this little item from someone who covered the Sox this spring. They told me a month ago they were with a group of media types and said that it was remarkable the Sox found someone who was more arrogant that Rick Hahn. They were talking about Pedro Grifol.

The person told me both Garfein and Merkin were upset that this person made that statement.   😃 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Paper Bag 1

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/white-sox-2024-season-preview-prediction

“I feel like we’ve raised the IQ of our club, which was something we wanted to accomplish out here,” Getz said. “I think we are going to reap the rewards as the season goes on.”

“We brought in a ton of guys that we felt were talented,” said Grifol after Monday’s exhibition game against Triple-A Charlotte. “But when you bring in a lot of guys, what happens is you don’t know how they’re going to jell together. Over the offseason, and this camp, these guys have kind of turned into a team.”

What needs to go right? Young talent needs to develop, perform
The White Sox are not going through a rebuild, as has been mentioned many times before. At least, they aren’t following the path of a complete teardown…

Bold prediction: Andrew Vaughn will be an All-Star
Let me start this final category with a disclaimer: My 2023 bold prediction was Tim Anderson winning AL MVP. Anderson is my choice for NL Comeback Player of the Year in ’24 and was the driving force of the White Sox for many a season, but last year was the lone truly subpar showing of his career. With that said, Vaughn seems ready to turn his solid career numbers into excellence and is as comfortable as I’ve seen him as a Major Leaguer.

Soroka and Robert pitching and hitting team MVP’s predicted by Merkin as well.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why do people hate Sox Math?  I get the jingle as it was legit cringe, but not sure how Sox Math actually impacts anyone who has no interest in partaking.

Well you see Jason Benetti was a real corny nerd and math is for nerds.

Must rid the broadcast of anything with even an inkling of personality.

• Like 4