2024 White Sox Opening Day thread 3/28 3:10 first pitch vs Detroit

12 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

I did the unthinkable and got tickets to tomorrows game…..have been so conflicted the last few weeks in regards to getting tickets but taking the soon to be 2 year old and hoping he can have some fun on opening day was too hard to pass up but at least he will never remember the outcome or this season….idk why I put myself through this….someone should report me for child abuse….hopefully the kiddo likes pregame fireworks at least

He won't remember...it's actually self abuse. But have fun anyways. :gosoxretro:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Let's go on a crazy run to start the season

What's the longest losing streak to start a season??

Longest Losing Streak to Start a Season: 21 Baltimore Orioles (1988) The 1988 Orioles easily own this mark as the next longest skid was the Cubs' 14-game drought to begin the 1997 season...

15. Tigers at White Sox, 4:10 p.m.
Tarik Skubal vs. Garrett Crochet
Is the Skubal we saw in the second half last year — the one who might have been one of the best pitchers in baseball — the real deal? If he is, this Tigers team may have some real plucky potential in this division. The White Sox? Well, maybe not so much. But at least Crochet — moving to a starting role after throwing 73 Major League relief innings since 2020 — will always be able to say he was an Opening Day starter.

MLB.com rated this as the 15th best Opening Day pitching match-up, haha.

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

What is the record for most consecutive losses to start the season?

21 by the Orioles in 1988. N.L. record is 14 straight by the Cubs in 1997. White Sox record is 10 to start the 1968 year.

9 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

They are both getting paid to talk baseball and don’t have to sit on the hot seat like a manager.  Not a bad gig if you can get it.

He gets paid by Fox for his work in Saturdays. Don’t think he gets much for this gig, more to gain exposure and possibly work on broadcasting. 

The interview was nearly a half hour and cordial. Getz evaded questions at times but more informative and enjoyable than a typical Hahn interview.

• Like 1

The Tigs put some effort and resources into what looks like a pretty decent rotation to support a .500 record. Three solid vets (Skubal, Flaherty and Maeda), plus Casey Mize back from TJ looks good and fast and a number of young guys competing for the back end spots. Promising Matt Manning has to settle for Toledo as does OF Akil Baddoo who was a starter. The other guys picked up some bodies here and there and Pedro says they looked real good in practice. My series prediction is no-contest. By mid-season Gertz will realize that his good teammate and good glove approach is great for tee ball. 

Edited by pcq

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

That song brought back so many great memories and along with the montage brought tears to my eyes, thanks for posting.

Being a Sox fan is in my blood, and I assume yours as well.  It can be tough, but I personally would not change it. Opening Day is always exciting.

• Like 2

Bought tix because I want to see the 2024 Sox when they aren't under .500.

Bought Club Level seats so we can retreat into the heated concourse in case the wind whips up.

Last year, club level ticket holders weren't allowed down to the 100 level. Has that changed? Food and merchandise options are limited on the club level.

• Like 1

Seems like those of you attending should have a decent day weather wise for Chicago in March.  I still have nightmares from the last Opening Day I attended that was delayed for several hours and then ultimately cancelled despite the Sox doing the stupid pre-game Chevy bullshit.

• Like 2

Happy opening day folks.

I know our team will be terrible, but baseball is awesome. I will find my joy in watching prospects develop in the minors, other exciting MLB teams, and even the occasional White Sox game. Cheers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

13 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Remember how awesome we thought our post-rebuild lineups would look on paper?  It never panned out but now the bottom half of our lineup is DeJong, Pillar, Maldonado, and Lopez — literally bench players on almost any other MLB team.

Edited by WhiteSox2023