2024 White Sox Opening Day thread 3/28 3:10 first pitch vs Detroit

Just now, WestEddy said:

His job was assistant GM. His bosses made the calls. 

It's like some people have never had awful bosses that you had to go along with. I'm not saying Chris Getz is going to be good, but blaming anything on him with the last regime is tough for me to do. 

• Like 2

Just now, Tony said:

Given he’s been in the organization for the last 7+ years, what was he expecting?!?!?

Not to mention, how many GM jobs are out there open for franchises that are in great shape?  If they guy at the top is getting fired, it is because the franchise isn't good enough.

• Love 1

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

They shouldn’t have even been signed to one-year contracts.  They are bad bench players starting for a major league baseball team.  It’s an embarrassment.

Are you saying Martin Maldonado is a bad baseball player?

How dare you. 

I mean, all statistical data, the eye test, gauging Astro fans, and common sense would have told you that giving him $4M was a moronic move that not even a first year GM would be stupid enough to do.

But how dare you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Crochet was great, but other than that this game was boring. The Sox announcer, whatever his name is, seemed thrilled at the attendance. Wondered if the Sox anticipated a bad crowd.  No runners past first. One of the three hits in the infield. I was on the edge of my seat.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2

Crochet is a huge positive. Deivi Garcia looked quite good. This year is all about identifying actual assets and churning the rest of the roster.  This game will not be the low point of the season.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Are you saying Martin Maldonado is a bad baseball player?

How dare you. 

I mean, all statistical data, the eye test, gauging Astro fans, and common sense would have told you that giving him $4M was a moronic move that not even a first year GM would be stupid enough to do.

But how dare you.

It’s like the movie “Major League” but signing all the rejects for more money than they are worth instead of acquiring them cheaply.

I had to mute the TV after Stone called Maldonado a “wizard defensively” behind the plate.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Maybe he should have been better at his last job?

Getz personally developed our opening day starter. The ones who had to tell everyone numerous times that Crochet was a glorified opener seem strangely silent about that, now. 

Just now, WestEddy said:

Getz personally developed our opening day starter. The ones who had to tell everyone numerous times that Crochet was a glorified opener seem strangely silent about that, now. 

He also assembled the bottom of the lineup that didn't even come close to getting a hit today...

• Thanks 3
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

I never thought he would immediately throw 6 innings on 87 pitches.  Impressive.  But this single start also may show how stupid the Sox were to make him a reliever right out of the gate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don;t think it was his plan to inherit a dumpster fire bereft of talent. 

He's really the first GM since Himes that inherited an absolute mess; and even that wasn't a mess like this mess (this is closer to what Roland Hemond inherited).

I do think that people would feel better if had he brought in a serious manager.

Just now, DirtySox said:

It's like some of you are surprised the offense is bad.

People just wanted a win. So did, I but I refuse to beat the dead horse. They were in the game. They will win some low scoring games but undoubtedly lose more than they win.

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Man, like last week you were saying that Getz bore no responsibility for prospects.

Either he gets full blame and fully credit or none

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No on ever said he was going to suck. Most of said he won't stay healthy. I don't want to be right.

I’ve been calling for moving Crochet to the starting rotation for years but crowing about one good start against a trash offense is also pretty funny.  Hopefully he stays healthy because he’s the only good arm the Sox have in the rotation. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

He also assembled the bottom of the lineup that didn't even come close to getting a hit today...

Sure they did. Nicky hit a couple of bullets at OFs. Vaughn was cheated a few times. 

• Haha 2