White Sox bring Mike Clevinger back, pending physical

All cynicism aside, other than his off-the-field issues, what else kept him from a) being traded at the deadline; b) signing for cheap with a team that has any semblance of hope?

I’m all about signing guys on the cheap (low cost) that we can flip midseason for some modicum of value in terms of prospect capital, but it looks like Clevinger (ignoring his off-the-field issues) can’t even fit that profile.

My only thought is that Getz wants to salvage an 11th-worst finish somehow to try to save face, because there’s literally no benefit to finishing worse than 11th-worst.

7 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Does the team technically have motivation to finish with the 11th-worst record, somehow?
Like, they know the team is going to suck, but being in the bottom 10 will get you the 11th pick (I think) based on the new draft rules… so they’re going to go “all in” on 11th-worst?

Not that that’s achievable or anything, but I’m just trying to understand the motivations….

Sox can pick 10th. Just not inside top 10. 

Based on the payroll space, the stupid draft rules, and a terrible division it sure felt like trying to cobble together a decent team on short term deals made alot of sense for Getz, but clearly JR disagreed. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Sox can pick 10th. Just not inside top 10. 

Based on the payroll space, the stupid draft rules, and a terrible division it sure felt like trying to cobble together a decent team on short term deals made alot of sense for Getz, but clearly JR disagreed. 

So my question still stands… do you think Getz is trying to be good enough to the 21st-best record in baseball so he can secure the 10th pick?

Just now, JoeC said:

So my question still stands… do you think Getz is trying to be good enough to the 21st-best record in baseball so he can secure the 10th pick?

Idk what Getz plan is / was to be honest. It’s hard to understand. As for Clevinger, I think they put this offer out when Cease got moved and Clev eventually took it. He’ll eat innings at a low cost, which will be useful and certainly JR approves the price point. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Idk what Getz plan is / was to be honest. It’s hard to understand. As for Clevinger, I think they put this offer out when Cease got moved and Clev eventually took it. He’ll eat innings at a low cost, which will be useful and certainly JR approves the price point. 

Yeah, I’m just trying to understand Getz’s end game here. I can generally see the logic in his individual moves if you look at it through the lens of stocking the farm and building trade capital to stock the farm.

This move, to me, falls outside of that, other than maybe just a “we know this guy can get us innings, and we don’t give two shits about his off-the-field issues because we can’t sink any meaningfully lower there” perspective. Clevinger clearly didn’t build up enough value last year (when he performed well) to garner interest from any team that matters, so why would we go for him over, say, a reclamation project?

Can someone smarter than me rationalize this move as a way to maybe help players on the team that actually matter?

Like, does this help Nastrini in that he gets more time to develop?

Does this somehow help potential trade chips like Soroka and Fedde because it takes some pressure off of them to go deeper into games in order to save the bullpen?

Just now, Snopek said:

Can someone smarter than me rationalize this move as a way to maybe help players on the team that actually matter?

Does this somehow help potential trade chips like Soroka and Fedde because it takes some pressure off of them to go deeper into games in order to save the bullpen?

I think your Nastrini point makes some sense.  But guys like Soroka, Fedde, and Flexen need to prove they deserve to be in the majors regardless of anything Clevinger adds to the team.

1 minute ago, Snopek said:

It’s simply to give them innings, as Crochet and Nastrini will have innings limits.   Flexen won’t last in the rotation for two months.  Do you really want to see the trash in AAA get 30 starts between them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Snopek said:

I think they realize Flexen is absolute garbage and will eventually need to be replaced.  A rotation of Crochet, Soroka, Fedde, Clevinger, & Nastrini could be decent for what is otherwise a very bad team.  Flexen becomes the swing man and jumps back in when there is eventually an injury or when a spot opens up.

I just hope that they use this as an excuse to claw back an extra year of control with Nastrini, but my guess is Getz will bungle this opportunity unfortunately.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

It’s simply to give them innings, as Crochet and Nastrini will have innings limits.   Flexen won’t last in the rotation for two months.  Do you really want to see the trash in AAA get 30 starts between them?

At some point the minor league arms will be ready for their shot.  Cannon, Thorpe, & Eder in particular should be pushing for roles in the second half.  I’d imagine Crochet gets shut down by August and Soroka is dealt at the deadline.  I agree that Flexen gets cut or moved to a swing role eventually and signing Clevinger hopefully helps accelerate that.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think they realize Flexen is absolute garbage and will eventually need to be replaced.  A rotation of Crochet, Soroka, Fedde, Clevinger, & Nastrini could be decent for what is otherwise a very bad team.  Flexen becomes the swing man and jumps back in when there is eventually an injury or when a spot opens up.

I just hope that they use this as an excuse to claw back an extra year of control with Nastrini, but my guess is Getz will bungle this opportunity unfortunately.

This team is trash and the entire rotation save maybe one will be replaced in the next season and a half.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tom Waddle had a good perspective on Starting Pitching the other day.  Nowadays, clubs NEED 7-8 starters because people are bound to go down throughout the season.

In a "punted" season, nothing wrong with Mike Clevinger being added as depth.  No need to risk wear and tear on Crochet, Nastrini, etc.

Just now, DFAthewave69420 said:

Tom Waddle had a good perspective on Starting Pitching the other day.  Nowadays, clubs NEED 7-8 starters because people are bound to go down throughout the season.

In a "punted" season, nothing wrong with Mike Clevinger being added as depth.  No need to risk wear and tear on Crochet, Nastrini, etc.

Send Brian Shaw out there 140 times.

29 minutes ago, Snopek said:

While it doesn’t make a difference to fans, I believe internally, in a situation like the Sox are in, throwing out AAAA fodder on the mound most days is a dangerous proposition. Every win matters for a front office, it’s just easier to go into the office after a win, and Clevinger gives them a better chance at winning than most other guys the Sox will be able to trot out there. 

I’m sure Getz is working on a very limited budget at this point given JR knows this team is garbage, but this gives them more flexibility, another somewhat reliable arm they can slot in. But there are too many dead spots already in the rotation to think he’ll “block” anyone from starting if they deserve it 

5 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

Rick Hahn's perspective during competitive window: we only need 5.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Who will play in more games?

Bryan Shaw or (Eloy + Moncada)?

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Shaw easily

I can not wait for the day we are past the Moncada and Eloy era of White Sox baseball. Hopefully they can play well enough to be moved but if they are still here at the end of the season, no way either guy's option gets picked up.

• Like 1