Jake Burger

I was wrong on Burger and admitted it. I didn't want to draft him but he became a favorite. Very sad when they shipped him out for no good reason. He coulda been DH for 12 years. Not a fluid fielder.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I was wrong on Burger and admitted it. I didn't want to draft him but he became a favorite. Very sad when they shipped him out for no good reason. He coulda been DH for 12 years. Not a fluid fielder.

Heck, I think he coulda been DH for 13 years

Edited by ron883

4 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Still pissed we traded him. Loved his story, that he was from the STL area, and he was an easy guy to root for that smashes baseballs. Will never forgive Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams for this!

Might go down as one of the worst trades in White Sox history, this franchise is self destructing.

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

6 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Still pissed we traded him. Loved his story, that he was from the STL area, and he was an easy guy to root for that smashes baseballs. Will never forgive Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams for this!

I just did not understand the rationale for trading Burger. Is it that they were risking him becoming injury prone again or that his power hitting was going away? Was it just that he was getting too old and they needed to get starting pitching? Or that they wanted to have a fire sale to replenish the farm?

39 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I just did not understand the rationale for trading Burger. Is it that they were risking him becoming injury prone again or that his power hitting was going away? Was it just that he was getting too old and they needed to get starting pitching? Or that they wanted to have a fire sale to replenish the farm?

Kenny hated Rick and wanted to move Burger behind his back.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I think they knew they were at the end and wanted to give one last FU to the fans.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I think it’s that he has no position, doesn’t get on base particularly well, doesn’t have a body that ages well, and has been injury prone. I think trading Burger was a perfectly fine thing to do when your team needed to improve on defense and get away from RH free swingers. You can argue the return, but the jury is still very much out on Eder. 

I get Burger was an easy guy to root for him. I like(d) him too. But worst trade in franchise history? My lord, what a take! 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think it’s that he has no position, doesn’t get on base particularly well, doesn’t have a body that ages well, and has been injury prone. I think trading Burger was a perfectly fine thing to do when your team needed to improve on defense and get away from RH free swingers. You can argue the return, but the jury is still very much out on Eder. 

I get Burger was an easy guy to root for him. I like(d) him too. But worst trade in franchise history? My lord, what a take! 

I didn't think people would forget about the 25 year old superstar in southern California that we traded away for a washed SP, but here we are.

• Like 1

I will say this: it would have been awesome if they somehow could have dealt Vaughn (2 less years of control) in that deal instead of Burger and shifted him to 1B this season. Like I said the other day, the DH at bats are there as Eloy always gets hurt and is leaning more towards his option not getting picked up for next year anyway.

Edit: maybe not that exact deal but Vaughn to another team with a 1B need for a similar pitching prospect.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

I read where the Marlins need pitching. Perhaps they will take Jake Eder back for Burger. The White Sox  could throw Moncada into the deal also.

You would be an amazing GM.  Still shocked Jerry never considered you.

Big fan of Burger and have watched a bunch of Marlins games this past week for his sake. Still, if Eder hits, I'd rather have him on the Sox than Max Muncy 2.0. Burger's production is easier to replace than a potential ace with full team control. Still, Eder has to perform and he's running out of time to prove he's a Major League baseball player. it was a high risk/reward trade that might fizzle out, but there are several guys in the minors ready to take Burger's spot and no one who can do what Eder might be able to do. 

9 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I need to go back and verify, but I'm pretty sure I was against trading him when it happened. He should be the DH and Eloy should have been traded for salary relief.

43 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You would be an amazing GM.  Still shocked Jerry never considered you.

If I was the GM,  Burger would not have been traded.

22 minutes ago, zisk said:

.355 2 10. He has as many RBIs as our whole team. Remember the dip stick who said the asian lady GM was overrated.

Please. Let's not get carried away. Our team has 11. Jake only has 10.

To paraphrase Jim Carr in Slap Shot, "we don't want to make this any harder for them than it already is."

• Haha 2