Robbie Grossman traded to TEX for RHP Anthony Hoopii-Tuionetoa

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Zach DeLoach currently has zero HR’s at fucking Charlotte a month into the season.  This is what happens when you replace the legendary Haber laptop with Gene Watson unfortunately.

I still think that trade was good, personally. The draft pick offers lots of flexibility. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

I think this is actually quite simple.

Robbie Grossman is an above average right-handed hitter. Over .800 career OPS from the right side against left handers. Limited sample size, but that was continuing with the White Sox (.976 OPS). Over 900 with Texas last year too.

Meanwhile, Texas Rangers outfielders Travis Jankowski and Evan Carter (both lefties), are terrible against left-handed pitching.

On top of that, Wyatt Langford, another outfielder, just went on the DL for them.

you would think they'd just let Carter see lefties. Why not? Yeah he has a .250 OPS against LHP so far, but seemingly they have the lineup to allow him to get reps against them and still have a competitive lineup. I can't imagine platooning my team's young star with gross,man, are they gonna do that his whole career?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getz has some more work to do than this one good transaction to make up for his other trash moves:

Christian Mena traded for 26-year old Dominic Fletcher who is toiling away in AAA.

Jose Rodriguez traded for cash considerations due to Getz’s poor roster management.

Matthew Thompson traded for Bailey Horn; Horn traded for cash considerations due to Getz’s poor roster management.

Imo the only move that Getz has made so far that actually matters is the Cease trade. All this other stuff is noise. And the early returns on the Cease trade look pretty good so far..

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I still think that trade was good, personally. The draft pick offers lots of flexibility. 

It could still work out great.  And I’m not ready to write off DeLoach either.  Just super frustrating that we acquired a pair of 25+ year old OFs and neither can help us right now despite two massive openings on the major league roster.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Imo the only move that Getz has made so far that actually matter is the Cease trade. All this other stuff is noise. And the early returns on the Cease look pretty good so far..

I’m sorry, but trading controllable talent always matter.  And the early returns outside of the Cease trade don’t look too hot.

5 minutes ago, nrockway said:

you would think they'd just let Carter see lefties. Why not? Yeah he has a .250 OPS against LHP so far, but seemingly they have the lineup to allow him to get reps against them and still have a competitive lineup. I can't imagine platooning my team's young star with gross,man, are they gonna do that his whole career?

You're probably right. I was just thinking Grossman could provide a bit more balance rather than push out others.

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Imo the only move that Getz has made so far that actually matters is the Cease trade. All this other stuff is noise. And the early returns on the Cease trade look pretty good so far..

Gotta get mad losing a guy who is currently putting up a .306 OBP for the Phillies double A team.

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I think with the state the sox are in, these smaller moves on the margins end up being a little more important than they should be. Every little bit helps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m sorry, but trading controllable talent always matter.  And the early returns outside of the Cease trade don’t look too hot.

In the big picture, not really. It’s unlikely any of the guys involved in these periphery trades amount to anything (including this one). People point to the Tatis trade but Shields was actually a significant acquisition at the time regardless of how it turned out. 

and what’s your issue with the moves he’s made so far? Everyone seems upset about the Mena trade in the same way they were upset about the burger trade last year. This too shall pass.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quin said:

We're taking a stand against fanatic's small names on jerseys.

Also, good job Getz getting a warm body for Grossman 

A while ago I remember Hawk having a conversation in the booth.  It basically went something like this: "You know what Stone Pony, if your last name is too long, you have two options.  Get a different name or get a bigger back."  No bullshit, that's pretty much the context of what he said.  I have no idea why it stuck in my head, but I'll be damned, when they made the letters smaller, I can only imagine Hawk being mad that wasn't one of the two options he laid out years ago. 

• Haha 5
  • Hawk 1

25 minutes ago, soulfly said:

A while ago I remember Hawk having a conversation in the booth.  It basically went something like this: "You know what Stone Pony, if your last name is too long, you have two options.  Get a different name or get a bigger back."  No bullshit, that's pretty much the context of what he said.  I have no idea why it stuck in my head, but I'll be damned, when they made the letters smaller, I can only imagine Hawk being mad that wasn't one of the two options he laid out years ago. 

Tbf he did shorten his name from Kenneth to Hawk

• Hawk 1

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Maybe. That’s one way to look at it.

another perspective is that he hasn’t really moved the needle at all in terms of the org. Sure, he’s made nice little deals here and there, but it seems like there isn’t a lot done to fundamentally shift the organization’s core standing, besides the Cease and maybe Bummer trades.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Maybe. That’s one way to look at it.

another perspective is that he hasn’t really moved the needle at all in terms of the org. Sure, he’s made nice little deals here and there, but it seems like there isn’t a lot done to fundamentally shift the organization’s core standing, besides the Cease and maybe Bummer trades.

The organization will not fundamentally change until there is new ownership and of course when that happens Getz, Grifol, the coaches and the rest of the clown show will all be fired.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

In the big picture, not really. It’s unlikely any of the guys involved in these periphery trades amount to anything (including this one). People point to the Tatis trade but Shields was actually a significant acquisition at the time regardless of how it turned out. 

and what’s your issue with the moves he’s made so far? Everyone seems upset about the Mena trade in the same way they were upset about the burger trade last year. This too shall pass.

Go back and look at the trades Getz has made and I have been consistent with my takes.  I didn’t like the Fletcher trade because I viewed him as a low upside tweener whereas Mena was young & athletic with the possibility of untapped potential.  I wasn’t a huge fan of the Santos return, and in particular, I viewed DeLoach as a AAAA type player.  I found the Thompson for Horn trade to be a bit confusing strategy wise and the fact they already cut Bailey is concerning.  I did like Cease trade as soon as it was made though, so I can assure you I’m not hating out of joy here.

Unfortunately, when you have the worst major league roster assembled in recent money, every little bit of talent helps.  And yeah, burning an arm with real upside like Mena for what certainly looks like a 4th OF hurts.  Just because we have a lot of interesting young SP prospects doesn’t change the fact we could have used Mena in a trade for something more valuable.  It was a highly questionable move at the time and even moreso now.  That alone doesn’t mean Getz is going to fail, but it would be nice if one of the 25+ year old OFs he acquired could fill an actual spot (even if temporarily) instead of forcing us to cut more youngsters to create spots for a guy like Rafael Ortega.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fedde and Pham have been good ROI.

The 1 year stop gaps (DeJong, Maldonado, etc.) will be gone by August.

Next offseason is put up or shut up for Getz.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

Can't wait to see what he does next season with no money to spend and no assets to trade. Should be a banger.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

The organization will not fundamentally change until there is new ownership and of course when that happens Getz, Grifol, the coaches and the rest of the clown show will all be fired.

Of course. That much I think we all agree on (for the most part).
My point isn't so much that Getz is making bad moves, but his body of work as a whole is flat.

26 minutes ago, T R U said:

Can't wait to see what he does next season with no money to spend and no assets to trade. Should be a banger.

In theory, by next year, the payroll should drop enough to cover the drops in revenue and leave SOMETHING to be spent.  They have 98 million the books for 25 IF they exercise everyone, including Moncada (lol), ILoy (lol), Stassi (lol) and Maldanado (lol), they can actually get down to about $50 million without them.  If they want to spend, they can.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

I was strictly referring to trades.  I liked both the Fedde & Pham moves.

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In theory, by next year, the payroll should drop enough to cover the drops in revenue and leave SOMETHING to be spent.  They have 98 million the books for 25 IF they exercise everyone, including Moncada (lol), ILoy (lol), Stassi (lol) and Maldanado (lol), they can actually get down to about $50 million without them.  If they want to spend, they can.

This statement has pretty much always been true though, so we know how it goes.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, T R U said:

I’d say Robert is fair game by next July and that’s a pretty significant asset to trade. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I’d say Robert is fair game by next July and that’s a pretty significant asset to trade. 

Bold of you to assume Pedro won't have him play with a sore back that turns into a spinal fracture.