Robert mentioned as trade target for Mariners by Passan

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I would probably need something like Emerson, Montes, and Farmelo to give up Robert.  I would prefer to keep him, however.

He could be in his decline by the time the Sox are good next. I think they’ll draft one of the two high school bats in the draft, which tells you that this is a potentially long rebuild. They should trade present assets for future ones. The package you mentioned would be good for the Sox. 

To play him in a corner? Probably a good idea. Luis is a better defensive center fielder than Rodriguez IMO but he can't stay healthy. Less wear and tear in the corner. Pretty good trading partner for the Sox but I would think it takes at least Young, Emerson and a third player. 

I understand why this thread exists, but to trade possibly the most naturally talented player in team history because they failed so miserably at the rebuild is so, so painful.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t know much about Young or Emerson, but does either have legit stat potential?  Have to get a legit 60 FV headliner if you move Robert.

Best we can do is a 27-year-old from the PCL and a reliever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Paper Bag 1

4 hours ago, Quin said:

I understand why this thread exists, but to trade possibly the most naturally talented player in team history because they failed so miserably at the rebuild is so, so painful.

Very true but that's what happens when you have incompetent, dysfunctional and inept ownership and people on the baseball side of the business. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Quin said:

Robert is more athletic, but he's not a more naturally talented baseball player than Frank Thomas. Thomas is among the top 5 most gifted right handed hitters to ever pick up a bat.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Robert is more athletic, but he's not a more naturally talented baseball player than Frank Thomas. Thomas is among the top 5 most gifted right handed hitters to ever pick up a bat.

The Big Hurt is the best right handed hitter of all time.

1 hour ago, PaleAleSox said:

The Big Hurt is the best right handed hitter of all time.

I'm a Sox fan but Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson, Willie Mays and Joe DiMaggio say "hello..."

Thomas is up there in that group, an elite right handed hitter with an incredible knowledge of the strike zone...but the "best" no one can say for sure. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The only way they can have the top ranked farm system is if they trade Robert. 

And then?

It has happened twice since the late 90s and neither led to a WS.

It was F.Garcia/Contreras and hitting on all those largely castoff anf undervalued FA's leading into 2005...utilizing all the savings from Ordonez Lee Valentin and spreading it out efficiently.

Not sure if any Sox fans are willing to suspended disbelief about FA spending again after watching Wheeler Machado and Harper each get away.

Edited by caulfield12