Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 06:21 PM)
That is operating under the assumption that the White Sox don't extend him and make him part of the 3 headed long term plan for the rotations.

Yea I think the point of going for shark is that he shouldn't cost the top-flight prospects that the younger, 1yr arb left pitchers might require. And the media makes it seem like he wants to cash in and not extend. But I really think he just didn't want to play for the cubs. Part of me thinks he'd sign a very reasonable deal to stay with us if we trade for him.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 07:43 PM)
i listen to the interview. what i found interesting and funny, it was like a msg

from the sox org to us, the fans, to somewhat give us a heads up and to let

us know, none of the major prospct will be traded.

this is my opinion.

The Sox shouldn't trade their top prospects for him. Hes a one year rental at this point. It would be kinda funny if the sox traded a one year worth package for him and then lock him up afterwards. I think the sox are going to make a bold move. I would say it would be with the starting pitching side. If the sox are investing in duke for 3 years and Laroche for 2 yrs then they have to be competing in right out of spring training. Means they have to invest in a good starting pitcher. something like Mccarthy, hammel and masterson are not #2 or 3 starter. I think they are looking at better to be competitive.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 09:48 PM)
If people think Shark is going to get 18-20 a year, I think I'd much rather just sign Scherzer for a couple million more AAV and keep the specs.

Shark at 6 years $105 million (17.5 per season)will be a bargain compared to what Scherzer is about to get.

Look at Hahn's history on contracts and in general financial dealings -- he's not going to forget that OH s*** Shark is a FA right after he shakes Beane's hand.

Thing is, maybe Shark is looking for a deal to come and stay in Chicago -- he's spoke favorably about returning and I don't know if the Cubs are even in the picture --he didn't exactly leave on great terms.

So, he could, in effect, force Beane's hand and say "I only want to go to _____" You'd hope the Sox were one of a few teams at that point.

That Dan Hayes interview is garbage. No s*** sherlock. I also highly doubt that Tim Anderson's name has "been thrown out there". From what I'm reading, TA is a highly valued prospect, not just to the Sox -- he's borderline top 30 in all MLB at this point. If he does go, it will only be in a major deal bringing back a lot of MLB ready talent. That's "throwing him out there" but only in the right deal -- and what team wants to give up what it will take? 1 year of Shark for TA doesn't even move the needle. Bring over Moss and a resigned Shark and hey maybe.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Quite frankly, I think we are all analyzing this potential Shark deal, far too much.

I think it died down as fast as the stove heated up. I would guess Hahn isn't willing to part with Anderson and a guy like Beck for one year of him.

Beane has lost his ass the past few trades minus the Lester deal and it seems like he looking to make up for that while trading Samardzija this time around.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 08:07 PM)
Shark at 6 years $105 million (17.5 per season)will be a bargain compared to what Scherzer is about to get.

I hate the idea of going long term on pitchers, but I think that is a pretty good deal for Shark and I'd be all for a move if we could get him to sign for that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 09:13 PM)
I hate the idea of going long term on pitchers, but I think that is a pretty good deal for Shark and I'd be all for a move if we could get him to sign for that.

If your going to go long term on a then 30 year old, I think he's the guy you do it with. Low amount of pitches and his mechanics aren't a liability, IMO.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 10:07 PM)

If that would be enough to sign him long term, personally I hope the Sox would trade any prospect not named Rodon for him. What percent of prospects pan out? Especially Sox prospects! Samardzija is a known quantity, entering the prime years of his career, and yes, $17.5M would indeed be a bargain, as amazing as it is to say that. Years of Sale, Samardzija, Quintana, Rodon, and whoever would be a perennial contender. If that's what it takes, do it. If they can't lock him up to a contract straight away, though, don't risk it. A 1 year rental isn't what this Sox team should do. They aren't good enough to justify that.

If the deal was contingent on an extension being worked out, Beane would be asking for Anderson and Montas or Hawkins.

That would be less than the A's gave up to the Cubs, as Russell was ALREADY a Top 25-30 prospect at a more advanced level and a higher probability of sticking at SS.

McKinney is roughly the equivalent of Hawkins, maybe not quite the upside but a higher floor as well.

If the Sox are going to give up the talent being discussed, then use it on a guy like Eovaldi. He easily has the stuff to be a #3 and has not turned 25 yet. Would like to see what Coop can do with him. He doesn't walk a lot of batters and had Salty for a catcher, so Eovaldi deserves some slack. I mean, Salty suuuuucked last season.

As for Samardzija, I think Boston outbids the White Sox. Boston has more to offer in a trade and is much more desperate for pitching.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 01:48 AM)
If the deal was contingent on an extension being worked out, Beane would be asking for Anderson and Montas or Hawkins.

That would be less than the A's gave up to the Cubs, as Russell was ALREADY a Top 25-30 prospect at a more advanced level and a higher probability of sticking at SS.

McKinney is roughly the equivalent of Hawkins, maybe not quite the upside but a higher floor as well.

Don't forget Oakland also got Hammel in the exchange, as well as the proposition of more time with Samardzija, albeit half a season. Oakland was in a pennant race for that half season so it does hold value. Also keep in mind Samardzija's performance to date at the time of the deal, and after. A small difference, i know, but something that goes into the equation.

In the end the market will dictate his value based on what others are offering. When I consider all things I don't see his value returning even Russell in equivalent. Two B prospects, or Alexei is all I would offer. If they won't take it, move on and see if you can't land 1 or 2 of Masterson, McCarthy, Santana, Volquez, Shields, or Billingsley.

Edited by QuickJones81

What prospects would be off limits to Oakland in trade talks concerning Smardjiza.

Personally, I wouldn't trade or offer any of the top prospects (Guys like Anderson, Montas, Danish, Adolfo, and Martinez (All the 2014 guys aren't eligible to be traded yet if I remember correctly.)) and I would let Oakland pick two mid level guys. Preferably I would give them Micah Johnson, Chris Beck and I would cover some of Billy Butler's 2015 salary.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)
You don't trade players for the right to pay a guy what other teams would be willing to pay that player in the open market in one year. You only trade the players that make the first season worth it to you.

Odds are pretty high that Smarj's price only goes higher in the next year, looking at the stupid contracts handed out this winter.

This will likely be regarded as heresy, among the White Sox faithful, but I don't regard Tim Anderson as anywhere near untouchable. If he were an elite

defensive shortstop, with a strong arm and great hands, I would value him as much as most seem to. However, the reality is that he has

an average, to below average arm, and just average hands. His 31 errors in 302 chances, last year at Winston Salem, validate the scouting reports that

question whether or not he will be able to stick at SS.

Being able to "stick" at SS is not the question for me. My question is; does he have the ability to provide elite defense at SS? The answer to that question is,

most likely, no. This is critical, because if he moves to another position, his offense has to play better, in order for him to retain the same value.

He probably lacks the arm strength for CF, which is the only good fit in the outfield, as he doesn't have the power to play a corner outfield position.

Ok, so let's say that he moves to 2ND. There, his arm would be more than adequate, but his best defensive tool, which is his great range, would be of

much less value. Moreover, his hands would still limit his ability to provide more than average defense.

He seems to be a very athletic, speedster, who has a lot of natural ability to hit, but even there, still lacks good pitch recognition, plate discipline, ideal mechanics and

power. Sox fans have seen this "movie" all too many times before. Very athletic kid, from another sport, who has some great tools, but not much background as

a baseball player. Joe Borchard, Jared Mitchell, Trayce Thompson and the like, have not fulfilled the promise, and I fear that Anderson may be yet another

in that mold.

I'd much prefer to have an elite defensive SS, who learns to hit and get on base. Omar Vizquel is the ideal model, for that scenario. He could always field,

but started very poorly, with the bat. In time, he became a very good hitter. I'm hoping that Rondon is closer to that kind of player. I think that it's more feasible

to take an elite defensive SS and teach him to be a decent contact hitter, than it is to take a natural, albeit raw, offensive talent, and teach him to become an

elite defender at SS.

Edited by Lillian