Sox Sign Cishek; 1 yr, $5.25 mil + option (6.75, 750k buyout)

Heads22

1 hour ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Great signing to wrap up an A+ offseason. Now the Whitesox just need to clear a couple roster spots to officially announce Cishek and Encarnacion. 

hmmm

This offseason gets a B+ from me. Which is still outstanding. 

I just can't give them an A or A+ with Keuchel being our best SP addition (I don't hate it, just meh). B+ is great.

Edited by cjgalloway

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they decide to give him one last shot if he has a decent ST.  

Ok thanks I wasn't aware we could carry him or a few of the others to spring training before having to do something with them.

4 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

CL: Colome

SU: Cischek (RH)- 8 inning depending on handedness

SU: Bummer (LH) - 9 inning depending on handedness

MR: Herrera

MR: Fry

MR: Marshall

OPEN SPOT

OPEN SPOT

Still need a long man imo (McHugh)?  

Lopez and Rodon

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

You keep repeating this, but I haven’t seen that much anywhere 

The most recent time was a BA prospects chat...I think it’s largely based on his frame, his ability to get it up in the high 90’s in shorter outings, having two really high-quality pitches and the logjam of pitchers in front of him, including Dunning, Rodon and the loser of the Cease/Lopez battle.   But sure, everyone prefers “Justin Verlander” as a comp.

4 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

That's why having an option for year 2 made this an even better deal. I wonder if McHugh could have had for the same structure and similar money.

I also expect at least one from the Burdi/Hamilton/Johnson/Foster group to play a key role next year, god forbids if they don't.

I forgot Jacob Lindgren was still with the org, and looks like he stayed healthy in the minors once he was activated from the IR in June. I would also put him in the list of potential 2021 Pen contributors if he finally gets past the injury bug.

3 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

There's a certain gold glove infielder still out there...

Bring back Yolmer.

People were talking about it happening at Soxfest. But if the Sox want him back they will do it on their terms. They'll tell Yolmer see what you can get on the open market and no one will give you anything but a minor league deal then come back to us and we will give you slightly more than that with a chance to be on the 25.

"Oh yea and Yolmer ? You also have to be Carlos again."

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe but it's possible they like Mendick. He can play all those positions and some OF too when needed.

Meh, Mendick is going to be the opening day second basemen for a few weeks,  you are going to need a little more depth then that to start the season and with the moves they have made so far I’m assuming they are going to want someone a little more proven to be able to handle infield duties. 

32 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Meh, Mendick is going to be the opening day second basemen for a few weeks,  you are going to need a little more depth then that to start the season and with the moves they have made so far I’m assuming they are going to want someone a little more proven to be able to handle infield duties. 

Leury being able to play everywhere gives them options. He can be the primary backup IF if they decide to go with 4 man bench that includes a backup catcher, right handed corner outfielder, and a defensive first OF with speed that can play CF.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

The reason that I mentioned Stiever as closer (rather than starter) was simply because of the idea that joining the team in the 2nd half...especially in a pennant race, that's MOST LIKELY where he would be needed most.

And the White Sox history of guys like Buehrle, Sale, drafting Burdi in 2016 with the thought they were going to need him down the stretch that ill-fated year.

As the old saying goes, "you can never have too many starters."

Some of these guys are going to end up in the bullpen, traded for other areas of need or held back for depth/in case of injuries.

The last year or so, it was pathetic the lack of options we had in AA or AAA...at least now you can see some quality depth forming, legitimate future pieces and not just organizational filler guys.