Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

Hope we don't go four years. Would actually prefer 2 at 13/per plus option/buyout ($4M) but the law of supply and demand will prevail. I like him but he is not infallible (7 blown saves in 2019). I would try to sign someone for 2 years and hope one of the youngsters (Burdi, Johnson, Heuer maybe Crochet) can step up. 

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is it for me; they're not going to spend the money anywhere else so fuck it; spend it on Hendriks. 

No one here disagrees with you.  

Everyone assumes there is a budget (as fair or unfair that it may be) and even if it isn't reached during this offseason that eventually we will be up against it during this "window". 

So, if we are burning just to burn let's not do it on the books in 2024 when the front office could have much more pressing needs than "which expensive veteran reliever to overpay". 

They've already shown us they're not spending top dollar for a position player or starting pitcher so if they're willing to spend top dollar on a closer so be it.  It's not where I originally would have wanted them to go but if that's the route they've decided then I don't care if it's a 4 year deal, just get the top guy in here.

Edited by Rowand44
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

They've already shown us they're not spending top dollar for a position player or starting pitcher so if they're willing to spend top dollar on a closer than so be it.  It's not where I originally would have wanted them to go but if that's the route they've decided to then I don't care if it's a 4 year deal, just get the top guy in here.

I'd rather them spend that money on Tanaka/Odorizzi and Bradley.  

30 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is it for me; they're not going to spend the money anywhere else so fuck it; spend it on Hendriks. I wouldn't even want a closer for four years - especially at his age and the brief history of success for most closers - but I know they're not going to reinvest that money anyway so ff it.

The Sox have spent the past few years saying they were ready to play with the big boys but all they've done is continue to refuse to ever overpay anyone which is required to sign bigger FA's. They just have never learned their lesson despite all the milks they've drank at the table.

Paying $7 million for 0-1 WAR for multiple players every year is way more of an overpay to me than paying Springer or Bauer 5/125 and having them produce 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 WAR over the contract.

29 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Him and Vinnie Duber are the two biggest water carriers on Earth. I know they are paid to do that but it’s still disgusting.

I don't see how this is water carrying or disgusting.  4 Years is a bit long for a relief pitcher.     When these guys hit the wall, it's unbearable.   (see Kelvin Herrera)   

11 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I don't see how this is water carrying or disgusting.  4 Years is a bit long for a relief pitcher.     When these guys hit the wall, it's unbearable.   (see Kelvin Herrera)   

Jerry isn’t going to pay Bauer. He also isn’t going to pay Springer. Hendriks is the next best option. I would rather overpay him than have that money continue to sit in Jerry’s wallet.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Jerry isn’t going to pay Bauer. He also isn’t going to pay Springer. Hendriks is the next best option. I would rather overpay him than have that money continue to sit in Jerry’s wallet.

Get Liam, trade prospects for Snell (who's cheap and controllable) and call it a great off-season to WIN NOW

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

So if that's the case why is Hendriks still unsigned?

I think we have learned from Machado that things don't get better with time if you try to wait them out. Also, as teams with larger budgets lose out on other players they will eventually turn to this guy too and we will get priced out. 

If they are saying we need to go cheap in RF to get our closer then get the closer. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox

29 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Technically Jerry is just one of the investors, the most high profile. IIRC he owns about 20%. 

7 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I still wouldn't do it for 3 of those 4 guys. Wouldn't even do it for Vaughn and Madrigal.

Why, so we can maybe be good in a few years when we lose control of everyone? He's under control for 3 yrs, which matches perfectly with our Cuban player bet. Wager the farm.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think we have learned from Machado that things don't get better with time if you try to wait them out. Also, as teams with larger budgets lose out on other players they will eventually turn to this guy too and we will get priced out. 

If they are saying we need to go cheap in RF to get our closer then get the closer. 

Opinion: They went cheap in RF to land Hendriks, but his market is robust and he's seeing if he can get a 4th year. Someone other than the Sox will give it to him, and the Sox will get caught with their pants down yet again, as by the time Hendriks signs elsewhere the other closers have been scooped up.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

You answered your own question. Hendricks is unsigned because he know as teams with larger budgets lose out on other players they will eventually turn to him and we will get priced out. 

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic