Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

They shouldn’t trade Burger because you can just tell from the way he plays that he’s going to be an everyday player. I can see him maybe replacing Moncada someday. Escobar obviously isn’t a long term solution, only a rental so why trade someone that will fill a need for us long term for someone who will only be here short term.

Moncada is signed for four more years.  If Jake Burger is still in the org in 4 years time, great, but he's not supplanting Moncada at 3B any time soon.  

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I tend to think like you - if he is healthy - he's going to have a good MLB career.  I don't like trading a guy like that for a rental the caliber of Escobar.  

Ironically, Escobar himself is the comparison here. We gave him up for a rental - Liriano - in 2012, when they were hanging on to first place barely with a team surprisingly outperforming. They didn't win the division that year, but that trade was filling their need for pitching help. Was that a bad trade? 

55 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Than where do you see Burger playing than. DH? 2nd Base? You have Madrigal at 2b. The only other position I can see is maybe DH but that’s it.

If Burger hits RHP well enough to be an everyday player then maybe you can worry about where to play him longterm.  

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ironically, Escobar himself is the comparison here. We gave him up for a rental - Liriano - in 2012, when they were hanging on to first place barely with a team surprisingly outperforming. They didn't win the division that year, but that trade was filling their need for pitching help. Was that a bad trade? 

Well, Liriano was horrible, so I'd say yeah, kind of a bad trade.  If he would have been better, than that may be a different story.

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

Well, Liriano was horrible, so I'd say yeah, kind of a bad trade.  If he would have been better, than that may be a different story.

Escobar put up a .605 OPS in 2020, so having him be bad for a stretch is one possible outcome of any trade.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2Deep said:

To your point Jason Bennetti just tweeted this out....

I imagine the same is true of the team hitting the most singles in a given game winning a high % of the time.

Edited by poppysox

Here's the things:

1) Arizona has absolutely NO reason to rush into a trade. That means IF a trade does happen in the next 3 or so days, they were SO satisfied with the offer they got that they feel a team (CWS) overpaid for it.

They also KNOW the CWS are extremely desperate in this situation. That doesn't bode well.

2) If we are willing (and we should be) to trade players like Burger, Collins, Crochet, then we need to get high quality. NOT 3 months of Eduardo Escobar or Adam Frazier. I'd be looking at Joey Gallo, potentially Starlin Marte and most importantly something like Trevor Story/Charlie Blackmon. 

Eduardo Escobar is not who you send your young backup catcher too or a player like Burger. 

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't think Escobar was as good of a prospect as Burger was - so not sure that It is comparable, however, if you said in hindsight would I make that trade again - ABSOLUTELY NOT.  In general - I think the Sox are a team that probably shouldn't buy a lot of rentals given how they manage their organization. They are a team that actually needs to sell its existing players a bit early to keep cupboards full vs. not because if they push all-in, they are really robbing from the future more extensively than other orgs (especially on rentals).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Here's the things:

1) Arizona has absolutely NO reason to rush into a trade. That means IF a trade does happen in the next 3 or so days, they were SO satisfied with the offer they got that they feel a team (CWS) overpaid for it.

They also KNOW the CWS are extremely desperate in this situation. That doesn't bode well.

2) If we are willing (and we should be) to trade players like Burger, Collins, Crochet, then we need to get high quality. NOT 3 months of Eduardo Escobar or Adam Frazier. I'd be looking at Joey Gallo, potentially Starlin Marte and most importantly something like Trevor Story/Charlie Blackmon. 

Eduardo Escobar is not who you send your young backup catcher too or a player like Burger. 

They know the Sox aren't giving up Collins or Burger. They also know the Sox could move on to bigger targets (as could other teams). They also know trading him today saves them $1.5 million more than trading him July 31. There is plenty of motivation on their side to get this done soon without having to get the Sox to overpay.

8 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

They know the Sox aren't giving up Collins or Burger. They also know the Sox could move on to bigger targets (as could other teams). They also know trading him today saves them $1.5 million more than trading him July 31. There is plenty of motivation on their side to get this done soon without having to get the Sox to overpay.

If I were another team, I would think the Sox would be open to trading Burger.  

3 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

If I were another team, I would think the Sox would be open to trading Burger.  

I think the Sox would be.....but not for a rental.  If you want to talk Adam Frazier then they might be 

50 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't think Escobar was as good of a prospect as Burger was - so not sure that It is comparable, however, if you said in hindsight would I make that trade again - ABSOLUTELY NOT.  In general - I think the Sox are a team that probably shouldn't buy a lot of rentals given how they manage their organization. They are a team that actually needs to sell its existing players a bit early to keep cupboards full vs. not because if they push all-in, they are really robbing from the future more extensively than other orgs (especially on rentals).  

See Samardzija deal.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Depending on how well stocked the farm is, could have been. As we know one thing, good  young players are rare for the Sox, so they are probably more valuable to the Sox than a lot of other teams. Gotta get out of this mentality for the most part. Today, for Escobar, we might could do a deal because we already have good young players in the show. But the Sox better be building up their own depth so these kinds of things become less necessary. Make no mistake, we are in this position because there is a lack of depth in the organization.

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Moncada is signed for four more years.  If Jake Burger is still in the org in 4 years time, great, but he's not supplanting Moncada at 3B any time soon.  

Just as a general comment, Moncada being wed to 3rd base til death does he part is probably a little bit over the top. Players move around based on team needs. Or, the good ones can. No reason he doesn’t move around like Kris Bryant etc if the Sox would benefit. I don’t understand the mentality around him. If Burger ever became a legit 3rd baseman, Moncada in the outfield basically solves all our problems for example. If the guy is too fragile to be a team player, he aint that good.

Just now, Chick Mercedes said:

Just as a general comment, Moncada being wed to 3rd base til death does he part is probably a little bit over the top. Players move around based on team needs. Or, the good ones can. No reason he doesn’t move around like Kris Bryant etc if the Sox would benefit. I don’t understand the mentality around him. If Burger ever became a legit 3rd baseman, Moncada in the outfield basically solves all our problems for example. If the guy is too fragile to be a team player, he aint that good.

I think Yoan has made it pretty clear he is quite fragile, in a number of ways.  He's a good 3B and a well above average player.  Just leave him alone.  Some guys can be used all over, some can't.  We don't know that he can't, but he strikes me as a guy that should just be left alone.  He's already been moved from 2B to 3B and hasn't made an appearance elsewhere since, so I wouldn't expect that to change any time soon. 

• Like 1

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic