Should we trade for Machado

bmags

4 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Machado is a bazillion dollar prima dona that has zero experience playing in a winning organization. He's the kind of guy that will rack up >his< numbers with little to no regard re: the success of his team. To improve the team for next year, the Sox need pretty much anybody but a Machado type.  You can get two significant assets for the cost of this guy.
IMO - not even worth considering - a non-starter.

The Orioles were actually very good most of his tenure!

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

I guess we have differing opinions regarding what a "very good" team is. I don't recall the O's being much in the way of a serious contender in Machado's time there. One can probably relate this to Trout and the Angles, but I just don't see the parallels.
Can you imagine the winningest team in the AL, the Rays, even considering bringing in a guy like this?
No Machado!

Edited by FoxForce2

22 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

But semien is a ss. He merely got moved to second because bichette was a young future piece for the jays. Semien is a good defensive SS. 

He put up 7.6 fWAR in 2019 at SS. He's got 6.6 fWAR this year at 2B. I don't care if he is viewed as a SS or 2B, he's getting paid handsomely regardless. 

Machado made more sense when this club needed some legitimacy on the upward slope of the rebuild.  Now, with his contract and this team’s needs, he makes little sense.  2B and RF need to be filled and I’d much rather see 30M spent to solidify those holes, and any pitching needs.  He can enjoy his benjamins on Mission beach for all I care. 

13 hours ago, ron883 said:

He put up 7.6 fWAR in 2019 at SS. He's got 6.6 fWAR this year at 2B. I don't care if he is viewed as a SS or 2B, he's getting paid handsomely regardless. 

And Jerry should pay him. He should be one of our primary targets this offseason, along with a starting pitcher and a bullpen piece. 

16 hours ago, FoxForce2 said:

Machado is a bazillion dollar prima dona that has zero experience playing in a winning organization. He's the kind of guy that will rack up >his< numbers with little to no regard re: the success of his team. To improve the team for next year, the Sox need pretty much anybody but a Machado type.  You can get two significant assets for the cost of this guy.
IMO - not even worth considering - a non-starter.

This is one of the dumbest takes on this site, and there’s some bad and stupid takes on here

42 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

This is one of the dumbest takes on this site, and there’s some bad and stupid takes on here

If you say so.
Yeah the $320 million/10 year man has really led the Padres to some great things this year. And that with Tatis in the lineup. Machado is an albatross to any but the highest budget team - and even the Dodgers didn't pursue him once they got a sample of his game.

Gotta love that OPS+ and glove though...

Edited by FoxForce2

20 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Bruce Bochy is a prime a candidate to restore order next season. Wish the Sox would have signed Bruce or Hinch last year.

https://www.eastvillagetimes.com/padres-are-discussing-bruce-bochy-as-an-option/

Tony has us on the eve of the playoffs with a healthy team on a winning roll.  Hard to do any better than that.

Which player would you rather have, Moncada or Machado?

Machado vs Moncada 

2021 stats:

Machado: 28/103, .279/.348/.492 (151 games), BB%: 9.8, K%: 16.0

Moncada: 13/58, .262/.375/.402 (142 games), BB%: 13.8, K%: 25.5

fWAR: 4.5 vs 4.2

Contract: 224mil (7y remain) vs 81.4mil (4y remain)

If you can get SD to eat at least some of that contract, I would definitely trade them in a swap of some sort.  Straight up, I don't think so.  But if they eat 60+ mil? 😬

Machado / TA / Semien / Abreu ohhhh lawdy

Edited by joesaiditstrue
added walk/strikeout stats

20 hours ago, FoxForce2 said:

I guess we have differing opinions regarding what a "very good" team is. I don't recall the O's being much in the way of a serious contender in Machado's time there. One can probably relate this to Trout and the Angles, but I just don't see the parallels.
Can you imagine the winningest team in the AL, the Rays, even considering bringing in a guy like this?
No Machado!

The lost in the ALCS to KC in 2014, in his third season.  They won 96 games that season, they were really good that year

39 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Contract: 224mil (7y remain) vs 81.4mil (4y remain)

If you can get SD to eat at least some of that contract, I would definitely trade them in a swap of some sort.  Straight up, I don't think so.  But if they eat 60+ mil? 😬

Machado / TA / Semien / Abreu ohhhh lawdy

Why on earth would San Diego pay $141 million to have Moncada 4 years over paying $224 million to have Machado for 7 years?

6 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Why on earth would San Diego pay $141 million to have Moncada 4 years over paying $224 million to have Machado for 7 years?

Because $141 million is less than $224 million, and it allows them to have more flexibility with their roster after 4 years

If they want to trade Machado, they're going to have to eat some of his salary.  This achieves that goal, and unlocks 3B in 4 years if they want to put a cheaper option there

Adjust the 60 mil to whatever you want, but I don't see any team absorbing Machado's deal unless a significant portion is picked up.

Just now, joesaiditstrue said:

Because $141 million is less than $224 million, and it allows them to have more flexibility with their roster after 4 years

If they want to trade Machado, they're going to have to eat some of his salary.  This achieves that goal, and unlocks 3B in 4 years if they want to put a cheaper option there

Adjust the 60 mil to whatever you want, but I don't see any team absorbing Machado's deal unless a significant portion is picked up.

For a marginal upgrade, I really don't see the Sox taking on even that much more money. Spend the money on a 2B and a couple relievers and you have the favorites to win the AL next year.

On 10/1/2021 at 7:05 PM, bmags said:

You're right! I had to go back and look at it. Showalter had a good hitting team but not many Palmer/McNally/Cuellar/Dobsons on the mound.
My case against Machado still stands.
Beat Houston!