Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

21 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Sheets was among the Sox' best hitters against right handed pitching last year, as measured by wRC+. 

His wRC+ of 125 overall (against righties and lefties) was 5th best on the team, and essentially tied with Abreu (126 wRC+) and Engel (127 wRC+).  Only Robert and Grandal blew that away.  But even Robert didn't hit right handers better.  Grandal did.

So, you think the Sox should send down to AAA their second best hitter against right handed pitching?  

Yes. Yes I do. He can’t play defense. We need to sign a real RF. We also need to get Eloy as many DH at bats as possible and I am not making Vaughn a weak side platoon player. Therefore there is no room in everyday lineup right away for Gavin. Calculus obviously changes If the Sox are dumbasses and don’t sign a RF and commit to the worst OF defense in the league and put our best asset in Robert in constant danger. But assuming they do the right thing and I have no reason to believe they won’t, Sheets is very good depth.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

So we'd still have 2 massive holes in this plan?

Schwarber and Vaughn do not have the same offensive profile.  Vaughn (if he hits ceiling), seems to be a high average, decent power guy.  Schwarber is the opposite.  

That 1-7 is so awesome you can easily afford that 8-9, who, while not all-stars are not exactly massive holes.

This team's window is now, not down the road whenever Vaughn hits his ceiling, if he ever does.

8 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Sign Kyle Schwarber.

Schwarber is what Andrew Vaughn could become, except that Schwarber is already that good and left-handed.

Package Vaughn with whatever else it takes to get a #2-3 starter with at least 3 years of team control. Kopech/Keuchel split time at #5

Re-sign Tepera

Trade Kimbrel for whatever you can get.

Sign Matt Duffy to platoon 2B with Leury.

Platoon Sheets/Engel in RF.

Lineup: TA 6, Yoan 5, Robert 8, Jose 3, Schwarber DH, Eloy 7, Yaz 2, Sheets/Engel 9, Duffy/Leury 4

Bench: Collins, Burger

Rotation: Giolito, Lynn, [trade acquisition], Cease, Kopech/Keuchel

Bullpen: Hendriks, Graveman, Bummer, Tepera, Crochet, Ruiz, Lopez

I appreciate the effort but there are many ideas here that do not appeal to me.......

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I would have no problem with this because someone is going to get desperate for a closer and you trade him and get as much as you can.  The trade does not have to be right now....

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

WTF

I mean what’s he supposed to say? The dude is on the roster until he isn’t. He’s not going to say “well, yah…Kimbrel is gone fellas. Just a matter of time until Rick makes a deal.” Just not gonna happen. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 2Deep said:

I would have no problem with this because someone is going to get desperate for a closer and you trade him and get as much as you can.  The trade does not have to be right now....

I think the problem is that his contract is holding us back from spending on FA's. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean what’s he supposed to say? The dude is on the roster until he isn’t. He’s not going to say “well, yah…Kimbrel is gone fellas. Just a matter of time until Rick makes a deal.” Just not gonna happen. 

This board has lost their mind

• Like 1