Jump to content
KrankinSox

Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

Recommended Posts

So listening to the score this morning david haugh said Richard Sherman reported that the whitesox are one of few teams willing to spend this offseason For what it’s worth 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you consider Stroman and Gausman signed QO deals for $18.9, this is a major win for WS. Great move! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I just hope Lynn is better for the Sox than the last older fat pitcher who threw a lot of innings, they traded for, David Wells.

The issue I have with this trade is Lynn is a one year guy. if he is good, and the Sox win, it's a good deal but,he will cost too much for JR.  If he is good and the Sox don't win, it isn't a good deal. If he is bad, it's a bad deal. If he gets hurt, it's a bad deal. But sometimes you have to roll the dice.

Haha, I totally thought of Wells last night when I saw a picture of Lynn from last year....he is a big boy!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a great trade. Lynn is a Hoss.  I was really hoping they didn't have to give up Dunning but you have to give to get.  The Sox are a much better team today than they were yesterday.  Now get to work on that extension.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 2019, Lynn had 246 SO in 208 innings. He walked 59 and gave up 21 HR. On a mediocre Ranger team, he put up solid numbers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't read through this whole thread yet and I get in general why some people are against this deal but I really like it.  You get your top 3 starter with out giving up Kopech, Vaughn or Crochet.  We weren't going to pay top buck for a starter so if we were planning on competing for a World Series this year, I think this is the best deal we could have hoped for especially with Dane's ceiling not being extraordinarily high.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This is a great trade. Lynn is a Hoss.  I was really hoping they didn't have to give up Dunning but you have to give to get.  The Sox are a much better team today than they were yesterday.  Now get to work on that extension.  

Yeah, I'm leaning toward this stance now. A day or two ago I said I wouldn't give up Dunning straight up for Lynn, but I'm coming around on it. Lynn is a bulldog. And hopefully he can help the younger guys as a veteran presence. There are two ways to look at this trade:

1.  If we don't win the World Series this year, then we basically gave up Dunning for nothing. Dumb trade.

2.  This move makes us better in 2021, and there's no question about that. Could Lynn be gone in a year? Sure, but we have guys like Kopech and Crochet who could be a part of the rotation in 2022 or 2023. We'll be fine in the long run, and this move certainly gives us a better chance this year.

If we continually think like option 1, we could be stuck in a land of good enough to make the playoffs, but not quite good enough to win it all unless we get lucky in the postseason.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This is a great trade. Lynn is a Hoss.  I was really hoping they didn't have to give up Dunning but you have to give to get.  The Sox are a much better team today than they were yesterday.  Now get to work on that extension.  

If they extend him and he performs like this for the next 3 years, then this was a world class trade.  My only concern with the trade is a one and done with him only being here for a year.  The 2021 white sox are a much better team with him on there.  But I like our shot at getting into the dance multiple years with the group we have.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, quickman said:

So listening to the score this morning david haugh said Richard Sherman reported that the whitesox are one of few teams willing to spend this offseason For what it’s worth 

The cornerback for the 49ers? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Does this make us the AL favorites?  Assuming the Yankees don't spend massively (Lamehieu AND Bauer or something), I think so..

Still need a right fielder and another BP piece or two.  I think at least one of Cease and Kopech break through this year, but I still wouldn't mind one more SP.  But I do think that the Sox have to be one of the favorites and certainly a favorite in the AL Central.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

Still need a right fielder and another BP piece or two.  I think at least one of Cease and Kopech break through this year, but I still wouldn't mind one more SP.  But I do think that the Sox have to be one of the favorites and certainly a favorite in the AL Central.

Having Kopech as your 4 in the playoffs sounds great to me. The guy literally has the highest ceiling on our rotation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously there’s a chance this blows up in our faces in 2/3 years, but love that we are going for it. Just gotta keep going and continue to do more.


My biggest issue with Dunning was velo...don’t know if he was still recovering/building strength but obviously his ceiling is capped if he continues to sit at 92. At the end of the day, trading a 4th/5th starter (even with control) isn’t going to be the undoing of any franchise. Of course if he improves into a TOR arm it will be painful...
 

Would also be interested to know if Texas wasn’t interested in Cease or we valued him more than Dunning?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, aFrankSoxFan said:

Hey GM ... I will give you Eaton ...you give us Giolito , Lopez ....and .... Lance Lynn !!!      OK  ???

This has nothing to do with that trade. This is all about value NOW. To me the value of having Dunning for 6 years is much greater than Lynn for 1. I don’t think Lynn for 1 is worth it... ok??? Yes Lynn will most likely be better this year but that’s all you get. To me it’s a very short sighted move and worth booing. And bringing up the Eaton trade doesn’t change anything about how it’s looked at today. I get that some will see it differently and that’s ok. I really hope this move doesn’t come back to bight us.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

I cannot believe the negative takes...this site is awesome!!!🤣

No kidding.  The Sox just got a lot better, and made themselves legitimate contenders for the World Series this year, and people are freaking out about it.  I don't get it.  I like Dunning too, and I think he will be solid.  But the team now has a top flight rotation this year, and bought time for Cease, Kopech, Crochet, Lambert, Steiver and Lopez to see what they have.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Flash said:

When you consider Stroman and Gausman signed QO deals for $18.9, this is a major win for WS. Great move! 

It’s a major win for Jerry’s bottom line. A major win for the white Sox would be signing Trevor Bauer. If the Sox use the savings they get from Lynn to sign Springer or Bauer, then I’ll shut up. But that’s not happening. They’ll go cheap with the rest of the roster, because it’s what they’ve always done.  Trading cheap controllable assets for 1 year stop gaps goes against everything we’ve been told for years and certainly isn’t congruent with setting the club up for “sustain success” and a “multiple championship window”. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

This has nothing to do with that trade. This is all about value NOW. To me the value of having Dunning for 6 years is much greater than Lynn for 1. I don’t think Lynn for 1 is worth it... ok??? Yes Lynn will most likely be better this year but that’s all you get. To me it’s a very short sighted move and worth booing. And bringing up the Eaton trade doesn’t change anything about how it’s looked at today. I get that some will see it differently and that’s ok. I really hope this move doesn’t come back to bight us.

You just get a better player that's all. Yeah that's all. 🤣

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChiSox59 said:

It’s a major win for Jerry’s bottom line. A major win for the white Sox would be signing Trevor Bauer. If the Sox use the savings they get from Lynn to sign Springer or Bauer, then I’ll shut up. But that’s not happening. They’ll go cheap with the rest of the roster, because it’s what they’ve always done.  Trading cheap controllable assets for 1 year stop gaps goes against everything we’ve been told for years and certainly isn’t congruent with setting the club up for “sustain success” and a “multiple championship window”. 

This is absolutely correct.  Bargain hunting again.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also in the "meh" camp.  One year for 6 years really sucks.  Dunning seemed like a high floor guy when all we had was high ceiling guys (Kopech, Cease, Crochet). Seemed like he brought some much needed stability.  I would have rather traded Cease personally.

BUT, I also am not oblivious and realize this trade may make us the AL favorites.. So let's just go out and win a fucking world series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

It’s a major win for Jerry’s bottom line. A major win for the white Sox would be signing Trevor Bauer. If the Sox use the savings they get from Lynn to sign Springer or Bauer, then I’ll shut up. But that’s not happening. They’ll go cheap with the rest of the roster, because it’s what they’ve always done.  Trading cheap controllable assets for 1 year stop gaps goes against everything we’ve been told for years and certainly isn’t congruent with setting the club up for “sustain success” and a “multiple championship window”. 

It's literally 1 guy though(yes I know Weems was in the trade) who was going to be our 4th or 5th starter moving forward.  It's not like we traded 3 or 4 guys from the core of this roster to get better for a year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

bought time for Cease, Kopech, Crochet, Lambert, Steiver and Lopez to see what they have.

They're gonna make Katz earn his keep because he's gonna have to fill two spots in the 2022 rotation. lol

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×