Sox acquire Thyago Vieria

ChiSox59

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 01:46 PM)
One name I look at, Billy McKinney. Only 23, did well in AA/AAA, has no future in NY. I think he would be a good piece.

I read an article last May or June saying he was a guy they would trade because of this issue, but then he had a huge year, so who knows? Chances are the Sox aren't going to spend their total allotment. Might as well trade some of it for lottery tickets. They hit on one or two of these guys it would be awesome.

This is an excellent trade for reasons already mentioned. They can only offer Otani $300K, so trade the rest of it away to teams looking for an advantage in that race and hope that the money isn't a big factor for him as has been reported (and proven by the fact that he's not waiting two years for a 9 figure payday).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 03:45 PM)
They didn't even do that. It was $500k in cap space that Seattle can now spend. The Sox didn't spend a penny of their own money.

I didn't look at it that way, makes the trade even better in my eyes.

Was watching some video from BA and Vieria threw a couple of nice breaking pitches to go with a few fastballs that touched 102. This kid is a perfect project for Cooper.

Goodness.. Our bullpen is in shambles. But this move and the Burr move, where all we gave up was international bonus pool for both are amazing. Both are older so have close proximity to the majors and both have legit intrigue (Not like a Beck arm). I love Hahn and what he is doing.. Is this how he is going to build some of our bullpen?! I love it!

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 04:19 PM)
Goodness.. Our bullpen is in shambles. But this move and the Burr move, where all we gave up was international bonus pool for both are amazing. Both are older so have close proximity to the majors and both have legit intrigue (Not like a Beck arm). I love Hahn and what he is doing.. Is this how he is going to build some of our bullpen?! I love it!

Agreed! I think Burr is a lot closer to the big club than people think too. Masterful job Ricky!

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 01:21 PM)
Loooooooove this move. This dude had electric stuff in the Futures Game, I had no clue who he was prior to that and came away impressed. This is exactly the type of move that Rick should be making. Even if you improve his control just a bit, he is instantly a high leverage reliever at the major league level. I can think of no better coaching staff to try and harness his abilities. In a couple years, we will look back fondly on this trade.

Competely agree.

damn my quotes are all messed up, lol

regarding the above video, if you can't be asked to watch it, basically they break down his mechanics and come to the conclusion that he gets insane power off his back leg (and is where he gets all of his velocity from)

downside is it seems his front leg isn't very stabilized after the follow through so he could end up with hamstring issues down the road

they also talk about possible issues with his elbow later down the road (but they don't predict this to happen or anything) as during his follow through he keeps the elbow in the high stress position during load longer than he has to due to his landing shorter w/ the front leg

Edited by Real

QUOTE (Real @ Nov 17, 2017 -> 02:53 AM)
damn my quotes are all messed up, lol

regarding the above video, if you can't be asked to watch it, basically they break down his mechanics and come to the conclusion that he gets insane power off his back leg (and is where he gets all of his velocity from)

downside is it seems his front leg isn't very stabilized after the follow through so he could end up with hamstring issues down the road

they also talk about possible issues with his elbow later down the road (but they don't predict this to happen or anything) as during his follow through he keeps the elbow in the high stress position during load longer than he has to due to his landing shorter w/ the front leg

Good analysis although I would disagree with two things. First that lateral flexion at the beginning makes it difficult for his trunk to catch up to his lower body. Then his lack of knee extension or "posting up" isn't due to a lack of range of motion at the hip, earlier in the motion he does have hip flexion to 90, it's from the trunk being a little behind and maybe some over striding. This will cause the lack of command as he doesn't post up and pull down on the ball. This will cause the release point to be somewhat inconsistent.

Cooper may have some difficulty with this guy. He doesn't have many "rules" for pitching like some coaches, but he likes to teach "standing tall" throughout the motion. This guy really doesn't do that as he flexes his trunk over a flexed lower extremity.