Fire Rick Hahn

Chicago White Sox

On 7/7/2023 at 10:28 AM, tray said:

Grifol should go after the All Star break. Once the season ends JR should probably make larger changes to the baseball side of management, starting with Hahn. Right now Rick looks like a deer caught in the headlights. I actually feel sorry for him because a lot of the close losses this season have been a result of bad luck, bad moves, and bad decisions by Grifol and Katz plus unexpected under-performance by a lot of players. And then there is this: Hindsight is always 20/20. We call that Monday morni ng quarterbacking in the football world.

The Sox are cheap in coaching and managing.  I find it unlikely any GM would really give a team like this over to someone with no manager experience or with stunning credentials.  I think this was JRs choice based on a spreadsheet. 

Hahn's choice - no.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Someone in the Gamethread is claiming Steve Stone said Rick Hahn’s job is safe.  If true, then we truly are fucked.  My nine year old just started getting into baseball and he’ll probably be in college before the Sox are good again.

He'll probably be in or past grad school 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Someone in the Gamethread is claiming Steve Stone said Rick Hahn’s job is safe.  If true, then we truly are fucked.  My nine year old just started getting into baseball and he’ll probably be in college before the Sox are good again.

Do him a favor and get him to start cheering for another franchise

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The fact that Hahn is still around is even worse than the Sox performance on the field. The Sox are circling their wagons in response to public pressure. This only indicates that the team is totally dysfunctional. We would like to see action, but nothing happens, and the situation worsens. Firings should have happened after the Oakland series. Firings should happen during the break. Instead, the cloak of denial will go up and nothing will happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

The Sox are cheap in coaching and managing.  I find it unlikely any GM would really give a team like this over to someone with no manager experience or with stunning credentials.  I think this was JRs choice based on a spreadsheet. 

Hahn's choice - no.

After the utter disgrace and embarrassment JR took for making Hahn go along with TLR, there is no way he would double down and tell Hahn to pick Grifol. However I do agree with you that Jerry is ultra cheap and it did come down to a financial decision. As a result, Jerry probably gave Hahn a specific number not to go over for the new manager salary. Thus if the salary number was embarrassingly low as an offer, then of course Hahn's candidates and choices were going to be limited to inexperienced rookie managers like Grifol. 

• Hawk 1

23 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

After the utter disgrace and embarrassment JR took for making Hahn go along with TLR, there is no way he would double down and tell Hahn to pick Grifol. However I do agree with you that Jerry is ultra cheap and it did come down to a financial decision. As a result, Jerry probably gave Hahn a specific number not to go over for the new manager salary. Thus if the salary number was embarrassingly low as an offer, then of course Hahn's candidates and choices were going to be limited to inexperienced rookie managers like Grifol. 

They paid millions to La Russa, definitely can afford guys like Hinch or Boche.

Hahn (and Jerry) prefers guys with no experience because Hahn would rather manage people he can control. Not interested in hearing challenging viewpoints or having pushback. Had the audacity to claim he was trying to school Ricky Renteria.

Rick also has not significantly improved his baseball acumen from the time he mailed his letter to Dallas Green, or since his dad asked Jerry to give his son a job.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Hahn (and Jerry) prefers guys with no experience because Hahn would rather manage people he can control. Not interested in hearing challenging viewpoints or having pushback. Had the audacity to claim he was trying to school Ricky Renteria.

Rick also has not significantly improved his baseball acumen from the time he mailed his letter to Dallas Green, or since his dad asked Jerry to give his son a job.

Your point about Hahn preferring a rookie manager for control purposes makes a lot of sense. You're right, guys like LaRussa, Hinch and Bochy would intimate Hahn.

• Hawk 1

10 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Ricky Renteria needed schooling though! Both of the last 2 white Sox managers before Grifol were seriously out of date in their strategy and one end result of that was that the Sox were losing to teams they could stand with. Renteria’s lineup use down the stretch in 2020 was horrendous. Im also a big fan of the time in 2019 where a reporter asked Renteria how he used analytics while coaching (a very standard question for writing a positive article) and Renteria’s totally professional reply was “My answer is f*** you” - that kind of behavior should have gotten him disciplined!

Different people will have different levels of balance. Hahn needs help, but its not from angry old school managers. If Hahn weren’t the worst GM in baseball, it’s safe to say those guys would have been better if they would work with someone on learning new tactics.

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ricky Renteria needed schooling though! Both of the last 2 white Sox managers before Grifol were seriously out of date in their strategy and one end result of that was that the Sox were losing to teams they could stand with. Renteria’s lineup use down the stretch in 2020 was horrendous. Im also a big fan of the time in 2019 where a reporter asked Renteria how he used analytics while coaching (a very standard question for writing a positive article) and Renteria’s totally professional reply was “My answer is f*** you” - that kind of behavior should have gotten him disciplined!

Different people will have different levels of balance. Hahn needs help, but its not from angry old school managers. If Hahn weren’t the worst GM in baseball, it’s safe to say those guys would have been better if they would work with someone on learning new tactics.

My point is Hahn is not the person who should school anybody. The Sox need to hire managers who do not require schooling, as they have nobody qualified to provide said schooling.

Ricky developed the players, built a cohesive team that played hard. Wasn't the greatest manager, but the team definitely imploded the past three years under La Russa and Grifol.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Which ruled out Bochy

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

On 7/7/2023 at 9:08 AM, tray said:

That is a non sequitur. I know about the JR quote about ideally coming in second place year after year, but I am sure he was referring to remaining competitive year after year rather than never ever winning it.  If you don't think Jerry wants to win, just replay the 2005 parade videos including JR's reaction when Konerko handed him the ball from the final out.

You are out of your mind. Jerry was emotional, happy when the 2005 team caught lightening-in-a-bottle and won it all, but by no means does Jerry run this team to win, he runs it to make money. Full stop. You know better than this, c'mon. Ridiculous.

Fire Rick Hahn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

i mean yeah hahn sucks...

but hahn also can't control just how mentally weak these players are.

Look at Tim - once a dangerous hitter.. now completely pissing down his pants up there.

His only recourse is that he can walk away non chalant like he doesnt care that he sucks ass.

7 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

My point is Hahn is not the person who should school anybody. The Sox need to hire managers who do not require schooling, as they have nobody qualified to provide said schooling.

Ricky developed the players, built a cohesive team that played hard. Wasn't the greatest manager, but the team definitely imploded the past three years under La Russa and Grifol.

The hiring of TLR was a failure of monumental proportions only exceeded by the hiring of his replacement. 

• Hawk 1

Rick Hahn will continue to keep his job after a plethora of failures because his owner loves yes men that never challenge the system at hand. Rick Hahn is a beta at its finest. A horrible GM and KW is a horrible Team President (is he even still around, I mean what does he do?)  Sox fans are doomed until  Jerry finally realizes he needs smarter, more advanced baseball people around, sells the franchise or dies and leaves his beloved nest egg to his son Michael. I’m not cheering for anyone’s death, but it’s sad that this is what likely needs to happen for change to finally take place. 

IMG_1398.jpeg

• Love 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, GreatScott82 said:

Rick Hahn will continue to keep his job after a plethora of failures because his owner loves yes men that never challenge the system at hand. Rick Hahn is a beta at its finest. A horrible GM and KW is a horrible Team President (is he even still around, I mean what does he do?)  Sox fans are doomed until  Jerry finally realizes he needs smarter, more advanced baseball people around, sells the franchise or dies and leaves his beloved nest egg to his son Michael. I’m not cheering for anyone’s death, but it’s sad that this is what likely needs to happen for change to finally take place. 

IMG_1398.jpeg

Carl Pohlad in Minnesota was quite similar to JR into his early 90s, but his 70 year son seems to be much more willing to open up the purse strings for guys like Correa and Buxton.

Remains to be seen with Ilitch's kid in DET.

• Like 1

White Sox seasons 16 + games under .500 at the All Star Break (July 9 for non All Star Game Seasons)

Rick Hahn (10* 2013 - TBD)

• 2023 -16 38-54 (TBD)
  • 2018 -29 33-62 (-38 62-100)
  • 2013 -18 37-55 (-36 63-99)

Ron Schueler (10 1991-2000)

• 1998 -16 35-51 (-2 80-82)

Larry Himes (1987-1990)

• 1989 -24 32-56 (-23 69-92)
  • 1987 -17 34-51 (-8 77-85)

Ed Short (10 1961-1970)

• 1970 -27 31-58 (-50 56-106)
  • 1969 -16 40-56 (-26 68-94)

Leslie O'Connor (3 1946-1948)

• 1948 -26 23-49 (-50 51-101)

Harry Grabiner (31 1915-1945)

• 1934 -26 25-51 (-46 53-99)
  • 1932 -20 28-48 (-53 49-102)
  • 1931 -19 28-47 (-41 56-97)
  • 1930 -16 29-45 (-30 62-92)
  • 1929 -23 28-51 (-34 59-93)

Note *: 2020 owner cancelled season (102 of 162 games) not included.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Your point about Hahn preferring a rookie manager for control purposes makes a lot of sense. You're right, guys like LaRussa, Hinch and Bochy would intimate Hahn.

I don’t think a senile old man who falls asleep and shits his pants in the dugout, and makes horrific in-game decisions like IBB someone with a 0-2 count is all that intimidating.