Fire Rick Hahn

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I don’t think a senile old man who falls asleep and shits his pants in the dugout, and makes horrific in-game decisions like IBB someone with a 0-2 count is all that intimidating.

Here is where the intimation came into play. That senile old man went behind Rick Hahn and complained to Jerry about what he wanted or didn't want. If you or anyone else were the GM and you had someone always back stabbing you and going behind your back, I would think that could be seen as intimidating...since your hands were tied and you couldn't fire the POS senile manager. 

• TLR 1

1 minute ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Here is where the intimation came into play. That senile old man went behind Rick Hahn and complained to Jerry about what he wanted or didn't want. If you or anyone else were the GM and you had someone always back stabbing you and going behind your back, I would think that could be seen as intimidating...since your hands were tied and you couldn't fire the POS senile manager. 

Plus he challenged Roberto Perez to a fight after sprinting onto the field, shoving him and then yelling at him.

La Russa would kick Rick Hahn's ass every single day of the year since the day Rick Hahn was born.

• Fire 1

Wow.  It's not like we're emotional and irrational about this.   We are ignoring that Jerry didn't want James Shields (he can read stats, after all), but went along with Hahn in getting him, and to boot gave away Tatis to save a buck.  So Hahn pulled the strings in that one.  Jerry should nixed it when he had the thought.  The guy doesn't even get it right when he knows better.

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1

9 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

And it says something about Hahn's character that he didn't quit on the spot when TLR was hired against his wishes and that of the front office if the reports are true.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

And it says something about Hahn's character that he didn't quit on the spot when TLR was hired against his wishes and that of the front office if the reports are true.

You're absolutely right it showed a lot of character. I give him credit for that.

On the flip side, let me play devil's advocate. The fact is, if RH would have given his resignation and publicly said what transpired, I think most owners down the road would completely understand how egregious that was for Jerry to override a GM and make the decision to hire the manager. Thus by not having the further trainwreck of the last three years on his watch, Hahn possibly could have gotten another GM job. However as it stands now, he has zero chance to get a GM job without going backwards and accepting a much lower FO position with another team.

In the end though, based on all the BS havoc and destruction Hahn created for this franchise, he deserves to fall flat on his face after his Sox tenure.

• TLR 1

On 7/8/2023 at 5:32 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Someone in the Gamethread is claiming Steve Stone said Rick Hahn’s job is safe.  If true, then we truly are fucked.  My nine year old just started getting into baseball and he’ll probably be in college before the Sox are good again.

A chimp strapped to a chair pointing a Bozo Buckets to make personnel decisions would have had a better outcome than Rick Fuckin Hahn over the past decade ... it's absolutely pathetic that we're stuck with this absolute dumpster fire of a GM, quite literally, the worst sports executive in history by any objective measure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Everyone believed Hahn was going to hire Hinch and that this was forced on him.  Hinch is no great shakes of a manager and there is no chance he gets this team to play for him.  

If that plays out everyone gives Hahn a pass and blames Hinch.

The dumbass hired Grifol.  

Sadly I am thinking if JR has any loyalty he fires Hahn for forcing a bad down town TLR's throat and potentially killing him. 

Hinch is a GM's manager; which is great if the GM knows what he's doing. 
What Hahn needs (but does not want) is an independent manager who knows more than he does and who can advise him, instead of vice-versa.  JR was right to bring in one of those types, but TLR was the wrong guy (age, character, obsolete thinking, long-time absence from the dugout).

• Fire 1

We are on the 88th page of this thread, and #88 Luis Robert Jr. was injured in the Home Run Derby.

Coincidence, I think not. Fire Rick Hahn.

PS - Rick has a lead on the next White Sox manager.

https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/sports/sources-northwestern-baseball-accused-of-toxic-culture

you know one thing that sucks about Hahn is how in a decade the only fun "buying" he did at the deadline was in 2021 with kimbrel. Despite several, ostensible, competitive years. This was obviously whiplash from KW where sox were always finding ways to add even if it wasn't for this years team. Different time a bit, but KW got away with a lot with a small farm just by looking at deadline as a way to take on salaries from embarrassing franchises.

Hahn tenure:

- 2013: sell year (Peavy)
- 2014: Rebuilding year 
- 2015: competitive year but we do not buy. This is a year KW would have definitely made a buy for someone to help in 2016.
- 2016: it's all falling apart, so we trade Zach Duke.
- 2017: sell
- 2018: sell
- 2019: sell
- 2020: buy year, but do nothing. The team makes the playoffs with their pitching depth about to fall off a cliff because it is so young and had no build up.
- 2021: We buy relievers and the worst of the traded 2b. So many legit amazing players traded, but hostetlers s%*# drafting already showing that we could only trade major league pieces because he was so fucking bad.
- 2022: We trade a DFA'able catcher to take on bad money in Diekman.
- 2023: Sell

Well that's a lotta fun. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bmags said:

you know one thing that sucks about Hahn is how in a decade the only fun "buying" he did at the deadline was in 2021 with kimbrel. Despite several, ostensible, competitive years. This was obviously whiplash from KW where sox were always finding ways to add even if it wasn't for this years team. Different time a bit, but KW got away with a lot with a small farm just by looking at deadline as a way to take on salaries from embarrassing franchises.

Hahn tenure:

- 2013: sell year (Peavy)
- 2014: Rebuilding year 
- 2015: competitive year but we do not buy. This is a year KW would have definitely made a buy for someone to help in 2016.
- 2016: it's all falling apart, so we trade Zach Duke.
- 2017: sell
- 2018: sell
- 2019: sell
- 2020: buy year, but do nothing. The team makes the playoffs with their pitching depth about to fall off a cliff because it is so young and had no build up.
- 2021: We buy relievers and the worst of the traded 2b. So many legit amazing players traded, but hostetlers s%*# drafting already showing that we could only trade major league pieces because he was so fucking bad.
- 2022: We trade a DFA'able catcher to take on bad money in Diekman.
- 2023: Sell

Well that's a lotta fun. 

2015 wasn't really a competitive year.  But yes, KW likely looks at that team and tries to add for 2016 like he had a few times before. 

2020 is the brutal one.  Hahn is also lucky that was only a 60 game season because if that season is 162 games the Sox don't make the playoffs that year with the total lack of pitching depth and he would be looking at 1 playoff berth in 11 years of being a GM.

6 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

2015 wasn't really a competitive year.  But yes, KW likely looks at that team and tries to add for 2016 like he had a few times before. 

2020 is the brutal one.  Hahn is also lucky that was only a 60 game season because if that season is 162 games the Sox don't make the playoffs that year with the total lack of pitching depth and he would be looking at 1 playoff berth in 11 years of being a GM.

It was an awful year but it was sposeda be a year of ascension. But yes prior to this year 2015 was my least favorite sox year of all time. 

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

It was an awful year but it was sposeda be a year of ascension. But yes prior to this year 2015 was my least favorite sox year of all time. 

Yep.  I remember having high hopes for that team but Samardzija was a total bust and looking back it is amazing how terrible the supporting case was in terms of the position players on that team. 

33 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Yep.  I remember having high hopes for that team but Samardzija was a total bust and looking back it is amazing how terrible the supporting case was in terms of the position players on that team. 

looking back that year was our big preview of hahn teams that deployed astonishing lack of power given what the sox identity was for a good decade prior.

45 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I will repeat - there is no point in replacing Hahn until there is someone different picking his replacement.

People keep saying this, but Jerry also hired Kenny, Schueler and Himes. All three were light years ahead of Hahn. Rick Hahn is 2-7 off-suit, the nut low.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

People keep saying this, but Jerry also hired Kenny, Schueler and Himes. All three were light years ahead of Hahn. Rick Hahn is 2-7 off-suit, the nut low.

The economics of baseball was different back then. It was easier to build a winning team without taking risks on the kinds of big contracts that Jerry will never approve of. As bad as I think Hahn is, I think the Sox with Hahn but a new owner are better off than the Sox with Jerry but a new GM, but of course the best option is if both are gone.

3 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

The economics of baseball was different back then. It was easier to build a winning team without taking risks on the kinds of big contracts that Jerry will never approve of. As bad as I think Hahn is, I think the Sox with Hahn but a new owner are better off than the Sox with Jerry but a new GM, but of course the best option is if both are gone.

We're still in a world where Cleveland and Tampa Bay are regularly competitive. Arizona is making a move this year, as is Baltimore. Miami is somehow good and I never saw that coming. If the season ended right now, 5 of the 12 playoff teams would be in the bottom 10 in payroll. Teams like Atlanta and Houston spend comparably to the White Sox, but they are regularly bringing up prospects as well, setting them up for multiple World Series appearances. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I will repeat - there is no point in replacing Hahn until there is someone different picking his replacement.

Completely disagree. I absolutely understand why you're saying this, but I just need "different bad" at this point. Hell, let Jerry himself be the GM, I don't care. I just need anyone not named Rick Hahn for a little bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1