Will Abreu be a White Sox in 2023?

chitownsportsfan

Will Abreu return to the White Sox in 2023?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Jose returning next year?

• Yes, he will sign a new deal
    • No, he will sign elsewhere

This poll is closed to new votes

For me, it comes down to what Eloy can bring back on the trade market.

Right now the options are:

Eloy + Vaughn
Eloy + Abreu + Vaughn traded (likely in a package deal)
Abreu + Vaughn + Eloy traded (likely in a lateral trade or for multiple pieces)
Keep all three and pray Eloy doesn't kill himself playing the field.

The way I see it, option 3 has the best chance of bringing back a second baseman (Torres? Chisholm?) that can solve a big hole in the White Sox lineup. A new hitting coach can hopefully solve the power issue.

55 minutes ago, Quin said:

For me, it comes down to what Eloy can bring back on the trade market.

Right now the options are:

Eloy + Vaughn
Eloy + Abreu + Vaughn traded (likely in a package deal)
Abreu + Vaughn + Eloy traded (likely in a lateral trade or for multiple pieces)
Keep all three and pray Eloy doesn't kill himself playing the field.

The way I see it, option 3 has the best chance of bringing back a second baseman (Torres? Chisholm?) that can solve a big hole in the White Sox lineup. A new hitting coach can hopefully solve the power issue.

I think if we trade AV, targeting Jazz is ideal.  Even if it takes trading one of Sosa/JRod/Ramos in the deal.  

14 minutes ago, flavum said:

Isn’t Chisholm more of the same? A me-first player that doesn’t stay on the field? Didn’t the Diamondbacks trade him because he’s such an idiot. We need less of that. 

Current team is very righty-heavy plus lefties should see a boost from the shift ban, so I think you have to take a chance on a guy like Chisholm despite the issues.

I don’t understand people talking about trading Vaughn or Eloy to bring back a 36 year old Abreu. That’s nuts and horrible team building. Not like this team is realistically going to win a WS in the next 2 years…if Jose even has 2 years left.

And while I’m not implying it’s Jose’s fault by any means…but Jose being the “heart” of a team that’s never won a playoff series in his tenure is an overrated talking point imo. Again, not because of Jose, but sometimes a change helps. Not to mention that the team allegedly (pretty clearly) had a bad locker room this season. A new voice(s) may not be the worst thing 

• Thanks 1

If you look at Jose's comments during spring training, it's obvious they told him or his agent the plan. Letting him go is the right thing. He's 36, at least. Expensive, and could go downhill at any moment. Time to let Vaughn play where he is supposed to play. Sorry to see Jose go, but it's time.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

If I’m choosing between Eloy or AV, I keep Eloy.  What he’s done the 2nd half is really just scratching the surface IMO.  He absolutely has to DH, and be reminded not to do stupid things that might hurt himself, but his bat still has the best chance to be special.  Power hitting less athletic 1B are much easier to find.  I’d rather keep both, but if I had to choose I’m keeping Eloy. 

Actually I am beginning to change my mind on Abreu and agreeing maybe its the right move to trade Vaughn instead and keep Eloy as well.

I have been quite adamant in keeping Vaughn and letting Abreu go on all these Abreu discussions. I know Jose's power numbers are dropping rapidly. It's sad he is going to finish 4th on the team in home runs with his career low of 15 HR's. Yet the one thing Jose has been good at it this year is consistently getting his singles an doubles. I firmly believe with the shift being banned, Jose will get so many more hits. There were way too many hard hit grounders this year by him up the middle, that in 2023 will undoubtedly go through for base hits more often than not.

I also agree we can't get rid of Eloy. He needs to be DH full time with the Sox, along with coming to spring training in better shape and lighter...which just might produce his best power numbers yet. You would only consider trading Eloy if the return was so powerful, it would be too impossible to pass up. 

Finally as much as I hate to see Vaughn go, it might just bring back some great talent to fill some huge holes. However, Rick Hahn cannot screw this trade up, as he has with so many others. He needs to shop Vaughn aggressively to numerous teams and make sure he works each of them in a successful bidding war to get the best talent back. 

I hate to be negative, but I fear Hahn will screw these offseason trades up! I pray I am wrong!

54 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I don’t understand people talking about trading Vaughn or Eloy to bring back a 36 year old Abreu. That’s nuts and horrible team building. Not like this team is realistically going to win a WS in the next 2 years…if Jose even has 2 years left.

And while I’m not implying it’s Jose’s fault by any means…but Jose being the “heart” of a team that’s never won a playoff series in his tenure is an overrated talking point imo. Again, not because of Jose, but sometimes a change helps. Not to mention that the team allegedly (pretty clearly) had a bad locker room this season. A new voice(s) may not be the worst thing 

This is exactly where I stand on Abreu. Love him and hope theres a statue of him in the stadium one day, but its time to move on.

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I don’t understand people talking about trading Vaughn or Eloy to bring back a 36 year old Abreu.

You can't trade Abreu for players who can improve the team. You can do that with Eloy or Vaughn.

That said, it needs to be a pretty sweet deal to go that route, and it would have to come together before Abreu has signed somewhere else, but those options at least need to be explored.

• Like 1

You would think he would have been extended by now if he was going to be here next year right? Just seems like something Jerry would do. And we don’t have the QO to dangle in front of him this time around.

Edit: meant to say that it’s weird they haven’t talked extension; not that it’s weird he isn’t already.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You would think he would have been extended by now if he was going to be here next year right? Just seems like something Jerry would do. And we don’t have the QO to dangle in front of him this time around.

Edit: meant to say that it’s weird they haven’t talked extension; not that it’s weird he isn’t already.

We don't know all the details but it is clear before the season that Abreu wasn't interested in an extension at that time. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the organization had asked.

https://www.mlb.com/news/jose-abreu-focused-on-2022-entering-last-year-of-contract

“Well, we haven't even started the season,” Abreu said through interpreter Billy Russo during his first Spring Training interview session Wednesday at Camelback Ranch. “Let's see how the season goes, and let's see if we accomplish all the things we want to accomplish.

“I'm pretty sure I'm going to consult with my family, see how I'm feeling, see how they're feeling, and we are going to make a decision afterward. Right now, the focus is just to enjoy this season and have fun.”

“My goal right now is just to have a very good season, stay healthy,” Abreu said. “Once the season ends, I will have to make a decision and see if I want to continue or if there's a chance to be here or if there's a chance to be in another place. We'll see once the season ends.”

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We don't know all the details but it is clear before the season that Abreu wasn't interested in an extension at that time. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the organization had asked.

https://www.mlb.com/news/jose-abreu-focused-on-2022-entering-last-year-of-contract

Change of tone from that one season when he said something along the lines of him re-signing himself or whatever he said.

• Like 1

I wonder how many people that have no confidence that this organization can win with the current roster we are obligated to, this GM, and this ownership also simultaneously think retaining Jose Abreu blocks this organization from winning a championship they don't believe this organization can win with the current roster we are obligated to, this GM, and this ownership.

If you don't believe this owner, this GM, and players like Moncada, Robert, Jimenez etc that we are absolutely bound to for the next several years CAN win, then WHY NOT bring back Abreu to be a White Sox for his entire career?  

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Actually I am beginning to change my mind on Abreu and agreeing maybe its the right move to trade Vaughn instead

Sorry - the combination of the above opening to your post + your username made me chuckle.

19 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I wonder how many people that have no confidence that this organization can win with the current roster we are obligated to, this GM, and this ownership also simultaneously think retaining Jose Abreu blocks this organization from winning a championship they don't believe this organization can win with the current roster we are obligated to, this GM, and this ownership.

If you don't believe this owner, this GM, and players like Moncada, Robert, Jimenez etc that we are absolutely bound to for the next several years CAN win, then WHY NOT bring back Abreu to be a White Sox for his entire career?  

I think we can win with Moncada, Robert and Jimenez in the same lineup but they need to stay healthy. The positions are a problem though. We have too many 1B/DH types playing the outfield. If you take Eloy out of LF and plug him into the DH role and take Vaughn out of the outfield and put him at 1B that’s a better way to go but that means making some tough decisions in terms of letting go some players . They will have to let go one or two of Abreu/Vaughn/Sheets/Eloy. That would free up Colas to play either RF or LF and Pollock to play the other or the flexibility to use Pollock off the bench and sign a left handed corner outfielder. 

Edited by maloney.adam

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

If you look at Jose's comments during spring training, it's obvious they told him or his agent the plan. Letting him go is the right thing. He's 36, at least. Expensive, and could go downhill at any moment. Time to let Vaughn play where he is supposed to play. Sorry to see Jose go, but it's time.

As much as I love Jose it only makes sense. I don't think trading Vaughn or Eloy is the answer in order to make room for Abreu for 1-2 years while he is declining in production. 

I fully expect Jose next season to be very cold at the beginning of the season, then heat up as it gets warmer, then go in a big slump in the middle of the season before finishing the year strong.  In other words, I expect Jose to be Jose.  And I will miss him, but I understand.

I wonder what team Jose will pick if he leaves. My guess is some AL East team that needs a bat, a leader and winner. Hope it's the Cubs though.

Keep Chicago icons in Chicago. Hopefully Jerry demands we sign Jose. If I owned the team I would. Jerry's been signing Jose's checks I assume and Jose deserves to leave the Sox only if he wants to.

• Texsox locked this topic