2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

16 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Jazz would be pretty damn nice though. Unles you're giving up Montogomery, find a way to make that deal

…solid pre arb player with 4 years of control? I have no idea why they’d do that without getting a top 100 prospect+ back. It absolutely starts with Montgomery and then adds more.

So pollock either vastly overrated his value on the open market or really hated playing for Chicago. Which is it??? Cost himself $7 million (I think) by declining his option which was for $14 million I believe. 

Personally, at 35 years old with rapidly declining athleticism and ability, I could handle a dysfunctional workplace for an extra $7 mil. 

8 minutes ago, bighurt4life said:

So pollock either vastly overrated his value on the open market or really hated playing for Chicago. Which is it??? Cost himself $7 million (I think) by declining his option which was for $14 million I believe. 

Personally, at 35 years old with rapidly declining athleticism and ability, I could handle a dysfunctional workplace for an extra $7 mil. 

The Sox had to pay him $5 million regardless. I think he only ended up losing a million by choosing to leave which isn’t that much given how much he has made in his career.

5 hours ago, bighurt4life said:

$13M player option with $5M buyout. He lost $1M in potential earnings. 

10 hours ago, bighurt4life said:

So pollock either vastly overrated his value on the open market or really hated playing for Chicago

💯 the latter, a rich guy traded $1M to play for a team with a positive vibe and a shot at winning vs. this dumpster fire of an organization. Easy trade....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

25 minutes ago, shago said:

💯 the latter, a rich guy traded $1M to play for a team with a positive vibe and a shot at winning vs. this dumpster fire of an organization. Easy trade....

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Pollock’s deal also includes $3MM in performance bonuses.

Usually some of those bonuses are pretty much automatic if healthy so instead of being unhappy with the Sox for $13mm, he has chance to be happy and get to $15mm with a base of $12mm

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, gogosox1959 said:

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Pollock’s deal also includes $3MM in performance bonuses.

Usually some of those bonuses are pretty much automatic if healthy so instead of being unhappy with the Sox for $13mm, he has chance to be happy and get to $15mm with a base of $12mm

I'd be unhappy if he was still here and they wouldn't have signed Benintendi if they had to pay Pollock.  He sucked here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

The Sox had to pay him $5 million regardless. I think he only ended up losing a million by choosing to leave which isn’t that much given how much he has made in his career.

Yeah - 2M I think difference which is pretty small given his lifetime income and the ability to basically choose his destination. Not sure where he is from but Seattle is west coast and obviously a solid club. 

45 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Makes sense. A team that could potentially be interested in signing him could just trade basically nothing (cash considerations?) for him (Dodgers pay all of salary minus league minimum). Have no idea what team could be interested though. Maybe Rays?

Edited by Bob Sacamano

56 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Makes sense. A team that could potentially be interested in signing him could just trade basically nothing (cash considerations?) for him (Dodgers pay all of salary minus league minimum). Have no idea what team could be interested though. Maybe Rays?

I am going to guess absolutely no one touches him with his exsiting contract, even if LAD was wiling to pay it.  It is worth it for LA to try, but I doubt it happens.  Seeing the article where LA met with him and he expressed no remorse or anything to try to soften a potential return, I doubt anyone else in MLB finds him palatable either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am going to guess absolutely no one touches him with his exsiting contract, even if LAD was wiling to pay it.  It is worth it for LA to try, but I doubt it happens.  Seeing the article where LA met with him and he expressed no remorse or anything to try to soften a potential return, I doubt anyone else in MLB finds him palatable either.

Yeah I don't think so either but I get the idea of seeing if anyone wants him at basically league minimum, which teams can do when he's a free agent but with no potential competition anyway. Dude may be pitching in Mexico.

Edit: I have thought that maybe teams that already do not draw well would maybe take a chance since backlash would be minimal.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

37 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I can envision an org two who’s fan base might not be out of the realm of being able to accept him.