7/8: Cards @ Sox: Mikolas v. Toussaint

ChiSox59

24 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I think if no trades are made Hahn is gone after the season.  If there are trades he's safe.

It's apparent that Tim Anderson doesn't even care any more.  There is zero effort.  Again if he's hurt and you feel the need to play him bat him down in the order. 

This organization and namely Hahn and Grifol are a joke. 

Anderson has no power whatsoever hitting the ball to the left side. Not even a hard ground ball. He looks like another Sox player who is hurt and doesn't belong out there.  Moncada out there barely running. Last year Robert playing with one good hand. Now Anderson looks like he's playing at 30%. It is incredible how dumb this organization is. Why don't the Sox just come and tell its fans that it doesn't care about winning?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Now that's a 'bad team' loss. No runs at home in July against a lousy team. 15 under .500? One or two likeable players? Yeah it's probably the worst team the south side has had in a long long time.

Today's MLB LOL. ... Detroit pitched a no hitter today ... with 3 pitchers. Big deal. This sport is void of drama cause of analytics. Good job analysts, ruining a sport in so many ways.

One

1 hour ago, Highland said:

Anderson has no power whatsoever hitting the ball to the left side. Not even a hard ground ball. He looks like another Sox player who is hurt and doesn't belong out there.  Moncada out there barely running. Last year Robert playing with one good hand. Now Anderson looks like he's playing at 30%. It is incredible how dumb this organization is. Why don't the Sox just come and tell its fans that it doesn't care about winning?

Actions speak much louder than Hahn words.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox now drop to a tie for 5th worst in baseball with the Cardinals. Loser tomorrow has sole possession of the #5 slot for the draft lottery.

Basically.. the only positive thing to look forward to (high draft pick). But I'm sure we'll find a way to f*** that up too and pick a college first baseman or an "MLB ready" arm with zero upside. So maybe there's nothing to look forward to at all.

8 minutes ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

Basically.. the only positive thing to look forward to (high draft pick). But I'm sure we'll find a way to f*** that up too and pick a college first baseman or an "MLB ready" arm with zero upside. So maybe there's nothing to look forward to at all.

With this regime in place that is meaningless.  Even if that pick hits they won’t find enough talent through trades, free agency, draft etc to build a complete roster.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

With this regime in place that is meaningless.  Even if that pick hits they won’t find enough talent through trades, free agency, draft etc to build a complete roster.  

Correct. It sucks being “this negative” but even seeing updates on Montgomery, Schultz….who cares? There is ZERO evidence that 1. The Sox FO knows how to develop and create consistent contributors to the ML Team 2. Even if they accomplish No. 1, there is no evidence to tell us the Sox can do it enough to field a competitive team for any length of time. 

It’s all pointless. We’re stuck in a perpetual cycle of suck. You want to have faith in this organization? Fine, totally your choice. But it’s totally devoid of any evidence, history or facts based on what has taken place on the field the last decade+

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Highland said:

It didn't look as though Anderson is comfortable gripping the bat or taking swings out there. He really should be out until healthy, not helping the team or his future with these performances. 

Picked a good day to be at my first Sox game since March 2020, first home game here since the final Double Header on September 28, 2019. People I went with were disappointed the Sox were shut out and only had a few hits, but after following the team all year I was not surprised or disappointed. This went as expected, even though the bullpen game worked out as well as can be expected.

Happy I have two Luis Robert Jr. Bobbleheads I can gift to the two young nephews in Vegas.

Surprised attendance was only 26,560, was a perfect day to tailgate and attend except for the outcome.

IMG-5320-1.jpg

IMG-5310-1.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

What does analytics have to do with a combined no hitter?

There will be no more real no hitters: One pitcher getting the job done. They shouldn't mob the relief pitcher who finishes a no hitter. That is stupid IMO. Analytics has pitchers' arms falling off after 103 pitches.

• Thanks 1

South Side Hit Men: You're right. Anderson doesn't look comfortable at the plate. There certainly is no appearance of cockiness or confidence. On the post-game show, Ozzie got defensive and told fans that the good Anderson will be back. That attitude tells me different. Tells me there is some big denial out there.

The crowd of over 26,000 actually isn't bad considering the Sox are among the walking dead. In past bad years, attendance was worse. I think attendance is fairly decent considering the team is sitting on its hands watching everything self-destruct. 

• Hawk 1

47 minutes ago, Highland said:

South Side Hit Men: You're right. Anderson doesn't look comfortable at the plate. There certainly is no appearance of cockiness or confidence. On the post-game show, Ozzie got defensive and told fans that the good Anderson will be back. That attitude tells me different. Tells me there is some big denial out there.

The crowd of over 26,000 actually isn't bad considering the Sox are among the walking dead. In past bad years, attendance was worse. I think attendance is fairly decent considering the team is sitting on its hands watching everything self-destruct. 

That's a really good crowd. Probably a good bunch of Cardinals fans too i'd guess.

3 hours ago, Highland said:

How many thousands of those fans came to watch St. louis?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Highland said:

They usually draw well on giveaway days.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Saufley said:

48 minutes ago, Saufley said:

25 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They usually draw well on giveaway days.

Cards fans travel well.  They have stars like Arenado and Goldschmidt. A few thousand for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

His sprint speed is down somewhat compared to last year which id believe could indicate a leg problem.

His exit velocity and pull/other way profile are almost precisely at his previous seasons numbers so he is hitting the ball just as hard as before.

But, he has the lowest launch angle in baseball, giving him a career high ground ball rate. 

I feel like this is a guy whose coaches have been trying to get him to hit the ball on the ground for 3 years, the more he listens the more he struggles.

That makes no sense that you are suggesting the coaches for the last three years prior to this season, convinced TA to hit more groundballs and now off of a sudden, their preaching to him to more groundballs came to fruition. 

The fact is, TA BA in the last three years:

.322 - 2020 
.309 - 2021 
.301 - 2022

Those hits were not coming from hitting constant groundballs that got through for infield singles. He was able to get enough launch angle to get the ball over the infield.

Yes this year TA is horrible in grounders. He has the worst groundball/flyball ratio in baseball at 5.11 (138/27).

The reality and not fiction is, his lack of speed is more due to a lack of hustle, desire and having so many off-field mental stress to deal with. 

I'm tired of this constant speculation of a TA leg injury and making excuses for his poor play. He isn't walking or running around the infield with any struggles or limping. Is TA 100 percent...probably not, but guess what, most major league all-star players at this point of the season are not 100 percent either...but yet they still put up the good numbers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saufley said:

Good point, but if I was a Cardinal fan, I wouldn't want to travel that far to see that boring team. Anyway, I've been a Sox fan for a long time, and I can remember much smaller crowds, and it didn't matter who they were playing. 26,500 is good even with the influx of other fans. 

• Hawk 1

17 minutes ago, Highland said:

Good point, but if I was a Cardinal fan, I wouldn't want to travel that far to see that boring team. Anyway, I've been a Sox fan for a long time, and I can remember much smaller crowds, and it didn't matter who they were playing. 26,500 is good even with the influx of other fans. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

A summer Saturday afternoon crowd of 26,000 on Luis Robert bobblehead day worries the crap out of them. Especially with how Cardinals fans travel.

I’d say the crowd was around 1/3 Saint Louis fans, perhaps 50 or so group buses by where we parked. Bottom sections were mostly full, decent fill in the upper though just between the infield.

Thought they would have 32-33 thousand, actually lost 1,009 from Friday, which was really surprising. 

Thing that made me laugh was the pricing of most concession menu items ending in 99 cents like a grocery store sale, eBay listing, etc..

People might be taken aback at $12 beers, so let’s charge $11.99 to prevent sticker shock.

- Brooks Boyer, Chief Revenue Guy

Didn’t spend a penny there, was happy to bring sandwiches and other items from Caputos for pre/post tailgate for the four of us. Tickets and parking pass were from a charity raffle won by a friend. 

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

That makes no sense that you are suggesting the coaches for the last three years prior to this season, convinced TA to hit more groundballs and now off of a sudden, their preaching to him to more groundballs came to fruition. 

The fact is, TA BA in the last three years:

.322 - 2020 
.309 - 2021 
.301 - 2022

Those hits were not coming from hitting constant groundballs that got through for infield singles. He was able to get enough launch angle to get the ball over the infield.

Yes this year TA is horrible in grounders. He has the worst groundball/flyball ratio in baseball at 5.11 (138/27).

The reality and not fiction is, his lack of speed is more due to a lack of hustle, desire and having so many off-field mental stress to deal with. 

I'm tired of this constant speculation of a TA leg injury and making excuses for his poor play. He isn't walking or running around the infield with any struggles or limping. Is TA 100 percent...probably not, but guess what, most major league all-star players at this point of the season are not 100 percent either...but yet they still put up the good numbers

chart-12.jpeg

No it didn’t start this season, but it’s pretty darn clear. That’s like a ski slope.

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

There will be no more real no hitters: One pitcher getting the job done. They shouldn't mob the relief pitcher who finishes a no hitter. That is stupid IMO. Analytics has pitchers' arms falling off after 103 pitches.

There will be no more? Forever? Want to bet?

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

There’s literally no way for you to know this. This is the definition of speculation, not reality.

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

chart-12.jpeg

No it didn’t start this season, but it’s pretty darn clear. That’s like a ski slope.

What's amazing is that his average LA can be this low with a 5.9% IFFB rate.  Presumably,  each IFFB makes a (very) positive contribution to average LA.