After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

So possible successors,  Theo Epstein (really? sounds good), Mike Rizzo (ok sure, let's go)or David Stearns ( willing to give him a try) . but wait .. Chris Getz?/? . is Reinsdorf trolling us now, just for laughs, until he gives out the real name . who knew that Jerry Reinsdorf had a sense of humor . good one JR.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

So this story seems like it was made up. Definitely just Hahn leaking s%*# because he knows Bob will run with anything he says. I hate him.

Is that just a gut feeling? Or do you have information, even informed speculation?  Cuz I desperately need a reason to hope that Bob yanked this from where the nightingale sings.

Just now, Timmy U said:

Is that just a gut feeling? Or do you have information, even informed speculation?  Cuz I desperately need a reason to hope that Bob yanked this from where the nightingale sings.

McGuffey saying the TLR stuff and Northbrook Bob confirming its not true is enough for me to call it.

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If this is true it would be absolutely insane but typical White Sox and would fly in the face of an individual who had dinner with JR last Wednesday and said they'd be surprised if either Getz or Haber retained their jobs.

This would be so White Sox. 

Starting to look your source is no bueno there. 

He had no clue about the firings coming and now no clue about these potential hires.  

Let's just hope he at least got good dessert during his dinner with JR. 

59 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

According to the Rosenthal column, most execs he spoke to consider it a sleeping giant, and one of the better GM jobs in baseball. You have to try to get fired. You play in the worst division in baseball. And you can outspend everyone in your division.

Ding ding ding.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tony said:

I think you can seriously wonder if a new GM/President would have the opportunity/budget to employee those people. Do those positions exist with the Sox? Didn't a report come up a few weeks ago that the Cubs had close to 80 analytic employees, and the Sox have around 20? 

No business man cares about where it's spent as long as the return is there. This notion that reinsdorf wouldn't trade 5 million in payroll for 2 million in an analytics department is such nonsense and classic Hahn excuse making. 

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No business man cares about where it's spent as long as the return is there. This notion that reinsdorf wouldn't trade 5 million in payroll for 2 million in an analytics department is such nonsense and classic Hahn excuse making. 

I think part of this is a result of people being around forever. I have been around in my company too, and see a resistance to some ideas that makes sense because of "previous battles" that were lost. But the people advising to "pre-lose" it are almost always not the decision maker. 

I think for 30 years, 20 years, Hahn and KW "knew" what JR would do, gave themselves a smaller and smaller funnel to operate in, probably re-enforced that some of these new ideas were bad to JR by never advising/pushing harder for a change.

Now, JR created two of these scenarios in orgs at a parallel time. Both clearly lost some early battles and then just assumed it's the way things were moving forward.

That's partially Jerry's fault, but also KW/Hahn. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

According to the Rosenthal column, most execs he spoke to consider it a sleeping giant, and one of the better GM jobs in baseball. You have to try to get fired. You play in the worst division in baseball. And you can outspend everyone in your division.

It should be popular when sold as well.

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think part of this is a result of people being around forever. I have been around in my company too, and see a resistance to some ideas that makes sense because of "previous battles" that were lost. But the people advising to "pre-lose" it are almost always not the decision maker. 

I think for 30 years, 20 years, Hahn and KW "knew" what JR would do, gave themselves a smaller and smaller funnel to operate in, probably re-enforced that some of these new ideas were bad to JR by never advising/pushing harder for a change.

Now, JR created two of these scenarios in orgs at a parallel time. Both clearly lost some early battles and then just assumed it's the way things were moving forward.

That's partially Jerry's fault, but also KW/Hahn. 

Yeah, I see that everyday in my job. Nature of what I do, and it's bad management. Guiding ownership and executives is a part of managing and how you present ideas and budgets and etc are a big component of that job. 

Ownership can remain as archaic as they want, and management needs to present the change in a relatable fashion.

33 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Starting to look your source is no bueno there. 

He had no clue about the firings coming and now no clue about these potential hires.  

Let's just hope he at least got good dessert during his dinner with JR. 

This is the same source (one of six) who helped provide detailed factual info for my State of the Sox story this past November who has been associated with the Sox for 30 years.

Name me someone who DID have a clue about the firings and reported it before the news broke yesterday.

Now as posted people in the media are saying the reports of Getz/Moore are wrong. 

I asked them about the reports today, and here is the response:

"This would be very surprising to me based on what I know. As you well know, sometimes teams use writers to get a sense of fan reaction and other media on who they may hire or trade for. I certainly hope this is one of those cases. From what I am hearing, fan reaction to Getz and sports talk radio is not very favorable for Getz. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

Why did Bob report that they were installing someone by the end of the year (this was yesterday)

And the very next day suggests that they've already decided who they're picking

like wtf? 

The White Sox actually stated this in their public announcement.

I believe Jerry either has a definite target, possibly a verbal or written agreement on the EVP and GM positions.

I wish for once this organization would conduct a legitimate job search for their most important positions. 

Edited by South Side Hit Men

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This is the same source (one of six) who helped provide detailed factual info for my State of the Sox story this past November who has been associated with the Sox for 30 years.

Name me someone who DID have a clue about the firings and reported it before the news broke yesterday.

Now as posted people in the media are saying the reports of Getz/Moore are wrong. 

"This would be very surprising to me based on what I know. As you well know, sometimes teams use writers to get a sense of fan reaction and other media on who they may hire or trade for. I certainly hope this is one of those cases. From what I am hearing, fan reaction to Getz and sports talk radio is not very favorable for Getz. 

From you, Lip, to God's ears.

8 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I hope you are right. 

35 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

87 year old Jerry Reisndorf is relying on the 78 year old Tony La Russa to make the best determination on how his baseball team should be run in 2023 and beyond. 

Let's stop pretending Jerry Reinsdorf is a completely logical and rational person that makes sound decisions based on logic. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Quin changed the title to After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP