After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

The narrative sure has changed via what the board insiders are hearing. Can I start to be optimistic yet? Are they actually going to interview and maybe even hire an external candidate that somehow doesn't have the White Sox stench on them?

Maybe cautiously optimistic at best, ha.

17 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

The narrative sure has changed via what the board insiders are hearing. Can I start to be optimistic yet? Are they actually going to interview and maybe even hire an external candidate that somehow doesn't have the White Sox stench on them?

This organization deserves no sympathy but the local media seemed to jump to a lot of conclusions because it's en vogue to burry and beat on the White Sox (All deserved).

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

9 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

This organization deserves no sympathy but the local media seemed to jump to a lot of conclusions because it's en vogue to burry and beat on the White Sox (All deserved).

Some might say “jump to conclusions”, others might say “get started on this story that will surely follow a specific pattern and write itself”

44 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

It sounds like that was always the plan and Getz will certainly be in the mix.  I think some got out a little over their skis on this one (shocking I know). 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It sounds like that was always the plan and Getz will certainly be in the mix.  I think some got out a little over their skis on this one (shocking I know). 

A competent president of baseball ops with Getz as the GM wouldn't be a terrible mix.  I don't know anything about Moore, but based on what I've read on this board, I'm glad to hear he will probably not be involved.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Agreed but I could also see Reinsdorf naming Getz Pres and he brings in a GM to work under him. 

Wasn't the quote by JR something to the effect of "one decision-maker?" It sounded like the GM would be the President of Baseball Operations.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Wasn't the quote by JR something to the effect of "one decision-maker?" It sounded like the GM would be the President of Baseball Operations.

I was hoping that it would be a President of Baseball Ops who would then have the autonomy to hire (or not hire) a GM and construct the front office however they see fit.

7 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Opens Wikipedia

Second Paragraph

He started in baseball as an intern with the Chicago White Sox while a junior at DePaul University and was eventually promoted to Assistant General Manager.[2] After almost 20 years, Evans resigned from the White Sox following the 2000 season. During his tenure, he was responsible for drafting or acquiring future Hall of Famer Frank Thomas, Tom Seaver, Robin Ventura, Paul Konerko, and Bo Jackson, among others. 

FWIW, his Dodgers tenure was 2001-2004.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

in listening to this, it sounded like dan evans told them dan evans was going to talk to jerry.

i'm fine with an informational interview to get a perspective on the org from someone who worked somewhere else, but otherwise, no thanks.

Looking outside the organization for an outside perspective from a guy who spent 20 years in the organization (20 years ago)and hasn’t been in the MLB for quite a while (his wiki doesn’t have recent employment seems like the last job he had was in the Northern Independent League 10 years ago)

hey yea that doesn’t sound like anything we have done before 

• Like 2

Dan Evans at least USED to be really highly connected in the NPB world, so I’d wholly support him for two reasons: (1) he doesn’t already work for the white sox, and (2) maybe I’ll finally get to root for an NPB star as a white sox player. Makes years-long playoff droughts slightly nicer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

A competent president of baseball ops with Getz as the GM wouldn't be a terrible mix.  I don't know anything about Moore, but based on what I've read on this board, I'm glad to hear he will probably not be involved.

The president should pick the GM. GM shouldn’t be named first. 

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

There is nothing in Getz’s track record to suggest he would be anything but terrible.

• Like 1

• Quin changed the title to After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP