Current Mood

Texsox

One month in, how are you feeling?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Compared to October 1st - How are you feeling about this team?

We knew it was over. Time to start again. They are clearing the decks. I've worked through the stages of grief and will watch what unfolds next. After living through the darkest days of being a Sox fan I just won't allow my self to invest that heavily in something I ultimately have no control or even input into. 

I feel a bit better about the team.  I like the bold move to decline TA's option.  Whether or not he comes back on a lesser deal, this will hopefully be a wake up call for him.  He was a shell of himself last season, and his personal problems definitely bled into his professional life.  I'm fine with Clevinger being gone.  Declining Hendriks' option was the right thing to do, even though Liam is such a great guy.

The next two months will really tell us the direction this team is taking.  Moving on from Moncada might be the next big move.  Signings and trades at and around the winter meetings could be quite interesting.

• Like 2

I understand that they needed to make some tough choices with Hendriks and Anderson. I am concerned that even with the money saved from those moves (even if Hendriks’ money was spread out over time), they will not make moves necessary this offseason to improve the team’s outlook. I don’t really know what their goal is going to be even if JR isn’t calling this a rebuild. 

20 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I understand that they needed to make some tough choices with Hendriks and Anderson. I am concerned that even with the money saved from those moves (even if Hendriks’ money was spread out over time), they will not make moves necessary this offseason to improve the team’s outlook. I don’t really know what their goal is going to be even if JR isn’t calling this a rebuild. 

Yeah, I don't think they will spend to the same amount they have the last 2 years.

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, I don't think they will spend to the same amount they have the last 2 years.

Spotrac's projected salary is $115,123,285

If it's truly "not a rebuild," they could sign enough guys to put together a reclamation project squad that might fight for a wild card while waiting for the Montgomery and crew crop.

They more than likely won't.

Not only has this team disappointed us for nearly two decades now, including two failed rebuilds, but they continue to lie about competing....How does a team just off 101 losses intend to compete while taking a step back? We don't have the roster, management, farm, or ownership to do it...I probably feel worse now than when the last rebuild began in 2016

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

What has happened to make me feel better about this team since Oct 1?

Better:

- Darryl Boston is gone

- Clevinger is gone

- Grandal is gone

Worse:

- we hired a pitching coach from the Angels, a franchise near the bottom of the league in pitching success

- we hired a college assistant coach to run player development

- we bungled the TA move (this goes back to not trading him last year)

- our rotation is now Cease and *gestures wildly at a trash heap* 

- multiple other qualified GM candidates have become available, but we needed to lock up Getz before anyone else could!

- our media group is still spinning the "we're going to compete! Maybe we'll have a slight step back [from a 101-loss season], but we're not rebuilding!"

I'm pretty damn low on this team and we haven't even made the truly boneheaded moves we all fear are coming yet (like Salvy Perez, Whit Merrifield, and Jason Heyward). 

This is pretty much what I expected.

The team isn't going to compete in 2024. Any talk of that is either delusional or blowing smoke. At this point, call it what you want, but the right move is a rebuild.

While I personally think they should have picked up TA's option and tried to squeeze out a B-level prospect for him (risk: stuck spending an extra $13MM in a season where you're not competing), it really doesn't matter to me at this point.

I'd just be pissed if they took those $13MM and pocketed it - we'll see if they actually do something with the money now.

• Thanks 1

Worse Tex, not worst.

Worse in terms of 2024 and beyond competitiveness, better in terms of purging alleged rape, domestic violence and infant abuse people from the organization.

Progress is they factor that aspect in future hires.

Cues walk-up music

I used to be cruel to my woman, I’d beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved.

I know it’s mean, but I’m changing my scene and I’m doing the best that I can.

I'm taking a wait and see approach.  I understand that moves that have been made.  I'm not all doom and gloom like some others here because I do believe there is untapped potential with certain players on this team.  However there are many holes to fill.......

Let's see what happens.  Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised or maybe we continue to status quo mediocrity.

This team killed a lot of my energy and fandom as a white sox fan last year.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

36 minutes ago, JoeC said:

This is pretty much what I expected.

The team isn't going to compete in 2024. Any talk of that is either delusional or blowing smoke. At this point, call it what you want, but the right move is a rebuild.

While I personally think they should have picked up TA's option and tried to squeeze out a B-level prospect for him (risk: stuck spending an extra $13MM in a season where you're not competing), it really doesn't matter to me at this point.

I'd just be pissed if they took those $13MM and pocketed it - we'll see if they actually do something with the money now.

I'd rather Jerry pocket it than spend it on Whit Merrfield

7 hours ago, Texsox said:

It's been a month, much has happened, how are we feeling?

Thinking about switching to a different team.  If the Sox were a loaf of bread that is poor quality do we still eat and buy the bread?  Odd how we worship sports organizations. 

I think the only thing that is attractive about this organization is the stupidity.  People like that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I answered better - not because I think the team is in a good spot, they aren't, but because they have brought in some outsiders of interest and made some unique moves.  I have no idea - they could all be bottom feeders and bad (wouldn't surprise me).  But I thought they were horrifically off 2 months ago, but at least they have made some moves that make me go, okay, not awful. The other thing that I'm observing is it seems like they are potentially going to do more of a reset - which is what they need to do.  

I liked TA - but moving away from him and starting to charter down new roads is the right path, even if he eventually comes back on a 1yr prove it deal for less.  Bottom line - I'm feeling slightly better - but that is really going from a 0 to a 1 out of 10 on the confidence scale...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Probably done following this team until JR dies or sells. There's nothing to follow. They are the worst organization in baseball.

That's about where I'm at. There's nothing we do well, and we do a bunch of stuff at a bottom 1/3 level in the league. There's really nothing other than Colson that I'm excited about around the Sox.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That's about where I'm at. There's nothing we do well, and we do a bunch of stuff at a bottom 1/3 level in the league. There's really nothing other than Colson that I'm excited about around the Sox.

I like Robert Jr. and Cease. I like Eloy and Vaughn, they are just less healthy/talented, respectively. I also like Yoan, though understand why others don't. Still think he was very likeable by most in 2019-2021, and is highly motivated to perform next year for his 2025 contract. Santos pitched well. Their other players need a big step to reach a solid MLB starter plus level at this stage. Would like to see Kopech and or Crochet put it together and have a solid 2024.

All the moves made by Getz to date were expected. There is not a lot of experience to gauge future Getz success, but I am encouraged with Barfield. The player development hire seems weak, hope there is something positive with him we don't know. Moore isn't coming, so that's a positive.

Getz' biggest obstacle is not his lack of experience or his attributes (whatever they may be) but Jerry and Tony continuing to f*** things up covertly running the show. Hoping Getz can communicate a credible and honest assessment as to their plans for 2024 and over a 3-5 year window. Hoping Tony has zero more influence on future moves, FO or player.

Would appreciate reasonable candor, not Hahn bullshit lawyer talk. If they are tanking for another 3-5 years, just say it. I enjoyed the 2019 season the most since 2005/06. There was hope, several exciting likable players, and there was no government lockdown/vaccine restrictions or TLR boycott. I went to many games and enjoyed fun at the ballpark with optimism for the future. Hope they could get to that point over the next few seasons.