Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

If that’s the full deal, I’m slightly underwhelmed. It’s not a terrible return, but this isn’t what I would define as “steep” by any means. Zavala is definitely a nice get. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

After hearing that it’s steep, it feels a little disappointing.

Agreed. It's more than the dooms dayers said but it's not more than I expected so pretty bummed with the hype.

Honestly feels about right for cease. Padres got erratic walk Cy young last year and hoping to catch lightening in a bottle twice

• Like 2

This is where all that international spending is paying off again...we are cornering the market on Venezuela.

Bring back Ozzie lol.

https://www.prospectslive.com/scoutingreports/samuel-zavala

EVALUATOR: MATT THOMPSON

Height: 6-1
Weight: 178 lbs
Hits/Throws: L/L
Acquired: 2020 IFA
RuleV: 2025

Overall: Padres signed the 6'2", 180 pound Zavala out of Venezuela for $1.2 million. Zavala is a left-handed hitter with a future up the middle projection due to his strong defensive traits. It's a contact over power offensive skill set, but the power should come as he gets stronger. He's one of the younger players in the class but also has one of the better swings, taking advantage of his quick hands.

OFP: 35
Risk: Extreme

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

I like the deal plenty. Thorpe is just about a top 50 prospect, Zavala has a great profile, and I like what I'm reading about Iciarte. I could see him making a big jump. This is a pretty significant injection into the farm system. Let's see what we can do with them.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

what would you rank Sox farm with these 3 spects? 

I know you weren't asking me, but my top ten are

1. Montgomery

2.  Schultz

3. Ramos

4. Nastrini

5. Quero

6. Thorpe

7. Eder

8. Jacob Gonzalez

9. Zavala

10 Iriarte

• Like 1

Well…we clearly overvalued Cease’s worth. Fully expecting Orioles fans to flood back here.

I assume Getz knows he will never be able to sign even an above average SP under age 35 on the open market so prioritized getting 2 arms that could be in the rotation in the near future. 

Zavala seems very interesting and complete opposite of every other White Sox player in that he gets on base. 

I don’t think this trade is a catastrophe or anything…but hard not to feel foolish about what we expected vs what we got 

Edit: If Iriarte can’t be a starter this might be a catastrophe. 

Edited by TheFutureIsNear
  • Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, he just requires some development and we're the White Sox is my concern lol. At least he's one year older than I thought, one year less we can screw him up

Exactly lol they’re not really good at that haha

Seems like Thorpe has a not-unreasonable chance to outperform Cease as soon as this season. The other guys are riskier although you'd expect Iriarte to at least reach the MLB bullpen if reasonably healthy. Zavala more of a lottery ticket but interesting. Wilson is a weird add although he probably makes the games more watchable this year. He may be flipped at the deadline for something useful.

Thorpe being basically ready for MLB with high-ceiling is a lot of upside in my view: up to 7 years of production.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

How old are you:?🙂

54, hoping to live for at least a few more decades.

Luke Appling (retired 1950) the last White Sox for life Hall of Famer elected, before all of our time. Ted Lyons and Red Faber were the only other two White Sox.  Frank Thomas should have been the fourth on this list.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

What a fantastic trade.  The new guy done did good!

Agreed.

Can always nitpick, but without knowing all the offers/counteroffers among the three - four rumored teams the past few days, I'm happy with the haul.

Patience turned into far more than what the Orioles gave up in the Burnes trade, and definitely most certainly more than what Hahn would have acquired.

Now start working on the hitting additions the next two years to supplement Montgomery, Ramos, Quero, hopefully Gonzalez and others.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
Updated for Red Faber
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I know you weren't asking me, but my top ten are

1. Montgomery

2.  Schultz

3. Ramos

4. Nastrini

5. Quero

6. Thorpe

7. Eder

8. Jacob Gonzalez

9. Zavala

10 Iriarte

Thorpe definitely ahead of Quero...and Nastrini.

• Heads22 unpinned this topic