Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Nah. I just thought it was hilarious how wrong you guys were and it entertains me to see you all twist yourself into a pretzel as to why this deal is so good even though 2 months ago you would have whined like a baby if it was suggested to you this would be the deal.

All the s%*# you guys talked…you deserve it to be thrown back in your faces, just as we would have deserved it if you got the bigger deal you felt you would get.

Making me hope the Yankees destroy the O’s this year. Good job. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 2

7 minutes ago, Jake said:

Bold statement I know, but chances are the Sox are projecting some of the players involved differently than we are.

That doesn’t give me any extra confidence when it’s a team that is happy to trot out there over the hill veterans who only play defense and prioritize adding a bunch of slap hitters all throughout their lineup. We shall see though….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

No, but I thought that the goal was to turn this around as quickly as possible. 

Which is probably the wrong approach. We still wouldn’t have a foundation to supplement an improved roster and we’d end up right back where we are now. The dopes in charge still haven’t learned that quick fixes don’t work and banking on everything going right never does. 

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

How many times were Kenny and Hahn wrong before they were fired?  JR has made countless dumb decisions but he isn’t going to fire himself.  If Grifol is still the Sox manager, I’m sure Getz has many years to prove himself, or his failure.

There's my problem. They are absolutely going all in on "we can develop all these guys into way more than they're worth right now". If 2 years from now they were wrong, this team looks like the 2020 Royals, 4th place, not all that good, and future 5th place finished coming, but likely with the same guys leading the way.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Nah. I just thought it was hilarious how wrong you guys were and it entertains me to see you all twist yourself into a pretzel as to why this deal is so good even though 2 months ago you would have whined like a baby if it was suggested to you this would be the deal.

All the s%*# you guys talked…you deserve it to be thrown back in your faces, just as we would have deserved it if you got the bigger deal you felt you would get.

What a fucking loser lol 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

This is more an expression of their inability to find the kind of elite guys they gathered up during the last rebuild than it is a strong supporting statement for these guys. 

Perhaps this works better, but this statement illustrates how they are trying to rebuild based on depth alone. It's at least different from Hahn, but not obviously better?

And elite numbers without elite velocity is a harder thing to say will translate. Sometimes it's Buehrle, often it isn't.

I don't think people grasp just how elite a 18.6% swing string rate (and 21% in AA) is. This isn't Buehrle (7% career swinging strike), this is the kind of number you see with elite closers that focus on getting 3 outs. That on it's own would be impressive but the kid actually throws strikes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Dude, shut the f*** up

• Like 5
  • Fire 2

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Does it give any of you pause that you have to rely on your development system in a big way for this deal to pay off?

when did we get a development system!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This would be the absolute worst way to treat this.

I agree, but I guess even though Ortiz/Hall are MLB ready, I feel that both those guys have higher upside than either of the pitchers they got in this deal, and they could get a similar prospect to Zavala at the 34th pick, and they could even go for a HS position player there if they wanted to. 

Idk, I feel like the floor and ceiling are way higher for Hall/Ortiz than Thorpe/Iriarte

Edited by baseball_gal_aly

2 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

I don't think people grasp just how elite a 18.6% swing string rate (and 21% in AA) is. This isn't Buehrle (7% career swinging strike), this is the kind of number you see with elite closers that focus on getting 3 outs. That on it's own would be impressive but the kid actually throws strikes.

what's been his P/AB? does he get a lot of 3-2 counts, etc

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

abe0d25c5d9a8bf5a86587bb10180df3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, T R U said:

I love this trade. Thorpe is good, they don’t trade for Iriarte if they view him as a reliever so they like something there and that’s an electric arm. Zavala, I think that dude will get into the top 100 here in the future. 

Slam dunk to me for 2 years of Cease coming off a down year compared to 2022. This is far better than the crap floated around earlier and what Burnes went for. Easy. 

People are underestimating the Bannister angle here.  They scouted this farm extensively and chose these guys.  People look at Thorpe and worry about his subpar fastball instead of seeing it as an obvious area of opportunity.  His floor is already high, but with even a little improvement with the fastball and the kid could be special.  Iriarte is a high ceiling arm with helium and at 22 years of age there is plenty of time for Bannister to help him harness his stuff a bit.  If that doesn’t ultimately happen, he probably ends up a valuable back-end reliever.

As for Zavala, Law had him as a top 100 prospect a year ago and he just put up a 140 wRC+ offensive season in A ball as an 18 year old.  Law said he dropped him off the list due to some unfavorable reports and it sounds like there are some work ethic questions at play.  But Law also doesn’t deny the talent (or the quality of the results) and there is a pretty high ceiling, even if a corner profile.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Who would rather have Duran Porter Leiter?

It's not like Texas was going to deal one of their two most coveted Young outfielders unless Cease was leading the AL Cy Young race at the halfway mark of the season...maybe not even then for Langford.

I 100% prefer this trade.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We got a SP ranked in the 60’s, another SP ranked in the 90 to 120 range, and a kid that is likely in the 100 to 150 range.  That’s way more than those two were expecting no matter how much they want to spin this.  I wouldn’t use the word “steep” to describe it, but I think it’s a roughly fair return and much more than what we would have gotten if opposing GMs valued him as the 2023 version.

Maybe in the coming weeks, we'll get a taste of what the Giants and Yankees were offering, if at all. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thedoctor said:

i think that was a huge load of bs jerry sold to explain a gm hire no one else would have made. 

Exactly, and if anyone actually bought what Jerry was selling in that media conference to announce Getz as the new GM, they need to have their head checked.

• Like 1

• Heads22 unpinned this topic