Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Does it give any of you pause that you have to rely on your development system in a big way for this deal to pay off?

What gives me pause is realizing you're an orioles Fan who has spent hours upon hours of his life arguing with random Sox fans on their fan message board.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don’t love this trade. I don’t hate it. For the record all my takes were good. 

In general, in any trade of a strong starter I’d prefer the return to be headlined by a position player. Pitching prospects, it’s like there should be an acronym about how they aren’t reliable.

But I’m more lenient on receiving pitching headliners for pitching.

Trade pitching headlined by position player prospects - gold standard 

Trade position players headlined by a return of pitching player prospects - good

trade pitching with pitching returned - acceptable

trade position player with headlined return of pitching - not ideal. Have to be incredible like a 25 year old coming off TJS.

I don’t really get the profile of Thorpe but clearly people like him. Or at least like trading him.

For the record, this take is good

Just now, PaleAleSox said:

That’s why I’m willing to give Getz a chance and roll my eyes at the “he was in charge of development” lines. He was given nothing to develop. 

I have no choice but to give him a chance because there's nothing I can do to change things, but the way things went down justifies skepticism until there is a substantial amount of evidence that I shouldn't be. 

• Thanks 1

Zavala made the end of my top 100 last year but would have been 50 or so spots lower after a slew of less-flattering reports from scouts in 2023. He did have a very solid year by the numbers, with a .267/.420/.451 line as an 18-year-old in Low A, ranking in the top 20 in the minors in walks drawn with 96 but with a 26 percent strikeout rate. He does have bat speed, but his swing is long and busy and it’s hard for him to repeat. His defense took a step back last year and he is all but certain to end up in a corner. Scouts commented on a lack of focus on defense and even sometimes in the box as well. He does still have the bat speed and makes hard enough contact to expect 20+ homer power, but the swing and miss is a real concern and the on-field makeup is even more so.

16 minutes ago, Jake said:

Don't feel like digging it up but Law is down on Zavala, saying he got some negative reports on the kid's level of effort/focus and has gotten more worried about his propensity to whiff.

This is his write-up from February 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He is a superstar controlled for 4 more seasons. We’re at least 2 years away from being able to get enough in return for moving Robert to make a lick of sense. 

🤣 Oh yeah let's start telling everyone how much Robert is worth. We sure taught those Oriole guys a lesson about how much Cease was worth.

He's not a superstar yet. Superstars having multiple good years of productivity.

He's going to have to remain healthy for most of the next 2 seasons and not have a down year. Everyone thought Moncada was a superstar after 2019. That hasn't gone well. Everyone kept predicting 40 HR seasons for Eloy, also did not go well.

• TLR 1

10 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Jerry said he hired Getz to win now, so have to take him at his word.

I like when people selectively listen to Reinsdorf based on whatever fits their narrative.

He's an 88 year old fat guy. Your relief will arrive soon. 

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Imagine if that stupid f*** Hahn, managing for his job, had delivered that bad news to JR and started at least rebuilding a bit last offseason, and then JR, active, good owner that he is, was like "ha, you played yourself goodbye thanks for a headstart on the next good Sox team" and then hired an actual good outside GM to run the club?

Keep imagining. Eventually you'll land on Sydney Sweeney in bed begging you to motorboat her.

If I was imagining, I most certainly wouldn't settle on Sydney fuckin Sweeney. Jesus Christ.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I fully agree. I wanted him fired after 2013. 

That doesn't mean I automatically give credit to and express confidence in his replacement.

Oh no, nor do I. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I have no choice but to give him a chance because there's nothing I can do to change things, but the way things went down justifies skepticism until there is a substantial amount of evidence that I shouldn't be. 

The lazy in-house hire who was a part of the last failed regime deserves zero benefit of the doubt. Getz failing upwards into a job he's woefully unqualified for should absolutely provoke the heaviest of skepticism.

• Like 1

TBH, I don't care about the balance of pitching/hitting coming back in a trade like this. Just get the most value you can. Pitching is sort of easy in that you can never have too much but there's not enough guys locked into the lineup to worry about getting too much position player talent right now either. I'd just take whatever I can get.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I told you all along they were focused on pitching 

If they were really focused on pitching they should have come away with Snelling. 

The opposing GM is at extreme risk of being fired and good SP thats cost controlled is at a premium.

Getz got the ball first and goal at the 5 and ended up making a 45 yard field goal after a couple dumb calls and a holding penalty. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jerksticks said:

There’s gotta be something really special about his command though that those guys never sniffed

The dude has a 70 grade change up. I haven't seen him pitch and the pitch level data doesn't exist (probably), but my guess is he can throw his change up straight center plate and guys are just not on it enough to make contact. There's obviously something uniquely different as he doesn't have the raw stuff to expect the kind of results he's had. In some ways I think his profile is lends itself for career success than a dude who has great raw stuff but needs to develop command.

• Like 2

I'm not saying that it's impossible for Thorpe to have MLB success. 

Giolito did just that before getting traded from the Sox up with a 92 mph fastball and an elite changeup just last year. Idk when was the last time that has been sustained over a career though. Garland? 

4 minutes ago, Jake said:

TBH, I don't care about the balance of pitching/hitting coming back in a trade like this. Just get the most value you can. Pitching is sort of easy in that you can never have too much but there's not enough guys locked into the lineup to worry about getting too much position player talent right now either. I'd just take whatever I can get.

It SURE feels like this was a deal you only make if the #1 thing you care about is ensuring pitching comes back.

• Like 1

• Heads22 unpinned this topic