Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

6 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

LMAO @ Aly claiming she never saw control for him over 55 anywhere and fangraphs (presumably the first place one would look) has it at 70. 

I'm not a fan of Thorpe as the headliner or this trade overall, but she is either arguing in outright bad faith, or is trying to be the female Ron.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

LMAO @ Aly claiming she never saw control for him over 55 anywhere and fangraphs (presumably the first place one would look) has it at 70. 

I'm not a fan of Thorpe as the headliner or this trade overall, but she is either arguing in outright bad faith, or is trying to be the female Ron.

arguing over specific tool grades is very 2017 imo.

13 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And despite all those short term free agent signings they’re still what #19 in payroll this season? They haven’t made any significant signings. And they have very little committed to 2025 and beyond payrolls. They have a ton of payroll flexibility after this season or at least they should pending Jerry.

Given the likely attendance figures the next few years, don’t get your hopes up about spending of any significance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

The Sox should, on paper, be worse than last year.  I can't wait to see Jerry's cronies try to stop the further hemorrhaging of whatever's left of this fan base.  Gonna be a dark few years that's for sure.  I don't think any of us have seen anything like what's about to happen in 2024/2025

• Paper Bag 1

Just now, joejoesox said:

The Sox should, on paper, be worse than last year.  I can't wait to see Jerry's cronies try to stop the further hemorrhaging of whatever's left of this fan base.  Gonna be a dark few years that's for sure.  I don't think any of us have seen anything like what's about to happen in 2024/2025

“On paper”, last year’s roster heading into the season looks like the ‘27 Yankees compared to this year’s team.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, fathom said:

“On paper”, last year’s roster heading into the season looks like the ‘27 Yankees compared to this year’s team.

it's one thing to just be perennially bad, but they had us all believing we were gonna be a great team during this specific window and we're getting the absolute opposite of that.  i dont think people are talking about this enough, it's going to take a massive toll on this franchise in so many ways, get the popcorn ready

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

24 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What's hilarious is were talking about a 25 man roster and you got offended and named three players to say I was exaggerating.

Well, then, I missed a page, and reacted to your post. Long night. 

Just watched some videos on Thorpe and the Giolito comparisons don't just stop at his repertoire. He has a short arm action delivery just like Giolito. Giolito probably has a better fastball (especially when he had the high spin rate that gave his fastball ride), but Thorpe's control and larger array of secondary pitches could make him less reliant on velocity. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

it's one thing to just be perennially bad, but they had us all believing we were gonna be a great team during this specific window and we're getting the absolute opposite of that.  i dont think people are talking about this enough, it's going to take a massive toll on this franchise in so many ways, get the popcorn ready

Considering "the kids can play" was the most memorable ad campaign of my lifetime, I think we've seen it before. What's the difference between 62 and 75 wins? Cheaper tickets, moving seats during the game and more beer? In that case, give me 62. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I will explain why I like the Burnes deal more than this one: 

1. I am very leery of soft tossing RHP 

We know. You thought Kyle Hendricks wasn't good.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Considering "the kids can play" was the most memorable ad campaign of my lifetime, I think we've seen it before. What's the difference between 62 and 75 wins? Cheaper tickets, moving seats during the game and more beer? In that case, give me 62. 

the difference is they conned the fanbase that we had to be bad for 3-4 years but it was okay because we would be good immediately afterwards.  absolute hubris.

23 minutes ago, fathom said:

Given the likely attendance figures the next few years, don’t get your hopes up about spending of any significance.

Time to dust off the old "you can't spend a quarter when you're only bringing in a dime" justifications.

50 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

Giolito is a textbook example of why velocity doesn't matter. Between 19-21 he was able to throw change ups over the plate, avoid hard contact and get a decent amount of swing and misses by getting ahead, getting people to miss pitches over the plate (usually with a change) or get them chase fastballs out of the zone. For the last two year's he wasn't able to get the same results on the change up and his fastball started to get lit up. 

Yeah, weird how that started in June of 2021. I wonder what changed to make spin rates on his pitches and movement on his pitches different starting on or about June 15 of 2021. This is a totally relevant example because no one can possibly point me to a rule change that dramatically affected Lucas Giolito's pitches that started on June 15, 2021. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I like when people selectively listen to Reinsdorf based on whatever fits their narrative.

He's an 88 year old fat guy. Your relief will arrive soon. 

It's literally the only thing of substance Jerry said beyond the Ohtani Free Agent tampering he said during the shitshow press conference. 

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Jerry said he hired Getz to win now, so have to take him at his word.

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

10 minutes of Thorpe highlights. From what I can tell, he has a couple of different variations to his change up. He may not throw hard, but he really makes hitters looks bad. 

I'd be interested in what his extension numbers are. He's 6'4 so he's a pretty tall guy with long arms. Sometimes having elite extension hides lack of fastball velocity. See: Lucas Giolito and Triston McKenzie. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I'd be interested in what his extension numbers are. He's 6'4 so he's a pretty tall guy with long arms. Sometimes having elite extension hides lack of fastball velocity. See: Lucas Giolito and Triston McKenzie. 

I would too. 

A couple things I noticed were that his ch to LH hitters has more tail and his ch to RH hitters has more drop - obviously exactly what you want to see. Based on the highlights, he certainly looks like he throws harder than the gun reads and the velocity is consistent up or down in the zone. 

The more I watch, the more I'm drinking the Kool-Aid, but I also try to be optimistic about these things. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

• Heads22 unpinned this topic