Eloy Trade Rumor Thread

SoxAce

36 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Apparently Getz went down to visit Eloy recently to see how he was doing.

Speculation is that this basically was a "good bye and thanks for all you did" visit.

Some feel he's the next to get shipped out.

gtfo-arigold.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

46 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I don’t think Kiermaier winning a GG is the same as Jeter winning

He did win it more on accumulated reputation from the games I watched this year...Robert certainly had the most highlight reel plays.  But some dumb errors hurt him.

Robert's glide speed is a huge advantage in CF, and his pretty strong but erratic arm doesn't play up in RF.

Tatis, conversely, has one of the few very best arms in baseball so that provides him a significant advantage in RF over center.  Plus, there are two walls for Luis to worry about in right.

I think Cubs would love to trade for Eloy and that may be where the might Sox garner the biggest return for him.  Either way, I agree with others that he is all but gone, in part because Getz does not have that many other players on the roster that other teams would even want (other than Robert and Cease, who are not going anywhere) and Getz wants to make a big splash trade. Getz also might think that Vaughn and/or Sheets can replace him at DH without any loss of offensive power in the current line-up.  Good luck with that. Hey, Eloy is one of my favorite players, but these decisions aren't mine to make. Frankly, I think trading Eloy will prove to be a mistake, a really foolish short-sighted move for the franchise.

2 hours ago, tray said:

I think Cubs would love to trade for Eloy and that may be where the might Sox garner the biggest return for him.  Either way, I agree with others that he is all but gone, in part because Getz does not have that many other players on the roster that other teams would even want (other than Robert and Cease, who are not going anywhere) and Getz wants to make a big splash trade. Getz also might think that Vaughn and/or Sheets can replace him at DH without any loss of offensive power in the current line-up.  Good luck with that. Hey, Eloy is one of my favorite players, but these decisions aren't mine to make. Frankly, I think trading Eloy will prove to be a mistake, a really foolish short-sighted move for the franchise.

Whilst I agree with you about Eloy to some extent, I get the feeling that if he stays at the Sox he will never achieve anywhere near his potential, so if he goes elsewhere and succeeds so be it. It is like the Tatis argument, whilst that was a monumentally bad trade, there is no guarantee that if he had stayed at the Sox they would have handled him well enough for him to reach the heights he has, even brilliant talent or potential needs some coaching and development.

Basically if a trade can bring in some useful pieces then trade Eloy. It would be sad to see him performing well at another team but he has had enough time at the Sox and just hasn't done it often enough.

• Hawk 1

i just don’t think this is the time to trade Eloy, i’d prefer they roll the dice and see if he starts the season out red hot, then trade him at that time.   his trade value is probably at its all time low at this time, the current return package wouldn’t be good.

5 hours ago, tray said:

I agree with you. If you trade Eloy who is going to bat behind Robert Jr? If you don't have a decent bat  behind Robert Jr the opposing teams will pitch around him. 

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

That would be a big improvement? 

I assume one year before he retires he will hit 280\340\560 and play 140 games. So there is 4 or so. The other 7 years or so I'm thinking 4 or so total.

He's not a good player and he doesn't have many paths to value as a full time DH other than a 130 or so wRC+, and he doesn't seem capable of that with any consistency.

Trade him while some better franchise still trusts their staff to get the most out of him. It probably won't work for them or Eloy but someone is gonna believe.

I’m ok with trading Eloy if we can something of value in return.  The reality is he has talent, but I just don’t think he has the drive to be great and will likely continue to underperform due to low effort and his propensity for injuries.  That being said, I’d be curious how he’d perform with more aggressive, vocal leaders in the clubhouse.  I feel like losing Jose was bad for him.

All that being said, I do think he is as good as gone.  Getz’ immediate goal seems to be ridding the roster of all the guys who under-performed under the previous regime and build a low ceiling, plus defense roster.  As such, I see Eloy getting traded for a defensive oriented RF with some power potential but very questionable bat to ball abilities and/or plate discipline.

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

It definitely feels like Eloy will be gone to the highest bidder. Like a likely Cease trade - they will probably be selling low on him.

I doubt they sell low on Cease. He'll be eligible for a QO. Eloy I would definitely sell low on though. Should have traded him last offseason.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I doubt they sell low on Cease. He'll be eligible for a QO. Eloy I would definitely sell low on thought. Should have traded him last offseason.

It’s too risky to keep Cease for that. They will easily get the value of a QO in return this offseason.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

19 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

It’s too risky to keep Cease for that. They will easily get the value of a QO in return this offseason.

100%.

Getting 2 top-50 prospects >>> getting a compensation pick that we'll inevitably screw up.

Disclaimer:  I personally would trade everyone and completely rebuild... and if we aren't rebuilding I personally roll the dice with Eloy again.  Too much offensive upside for a team trying to essentially flip from losing 100 to winning 100.  End Disclaimer.

Who says no:

Eloy for Kepler and Polanco.

I know MLB Trade Values seems to like Kepler and Polanco even though I don't think either player was a slam dunk to get their option picked up.  I feel like if a team is crazy enough to value Eloy as a league average LF that he has positive value.  Scary to give the Twins Eloy's upside, but I guess if you are worried about that... you don't want to trade him at all.  

6 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I agree with you. If you trade Eloy who is going to bat behind Robert Jr? If you don't have a decent bat  behind Robert Jr the opposing teams will pitch around him. 

Who cares? They are losing 95 games next year anyway. What difference does it make?

And here is Getz's full comment about Eloy:

“He looks motivated and determined,” Getz said. “He needs to maintain that. But Eloy’s potential with his bat, it’s just been lack of consistency mainly because of missed time. Teams are interested. It certainly just has to make sense on both sides.”