Sox sign former Royal LHRP Tim Hill to 1-year, $1.8M contract

2Deep

2 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

What is the plan here?

I just don't understand....

Are they filling the different holes on the roster with cheap, old FA's and then going to spend some money on a SP and RF???

They won’t spend significantly at SP or RF in my opinion.  What we’re seeing is a gigantic payroll slash, which has gotten very little publicity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2Deep said:

What is the plan here?

I just don't understand....

Are they filling the different holes on the roster with cheap, old FA's and then going to spend some money on a SP and RF???

No...they aren't going to spend period. 

They spent the last two years, squandered it on stupid stuff and it failed.

Now the partners are insisting on taking a profit so the budget needs to be cut like 70m.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, T R U said:

I get why everyone was so sick and tired of Bummer, but this guy is definitely not better than Bummer.

Bummer was a lot better than his reputation around here.

I dont think so.

I have seen enough of bummer pitch and hill pitch.

Hill may get hit but won't piss down his pants with walks in big situations time after time like Bummer.

Believe me I know Hill is a below mlb player but that is how lowly I think of bummer 

"Hill, 33, spent the past four seasons with the Padres, where he posted a 4.18 ERA in 170 innings with one save. He’s coming off the worst statistical season of his career, when he tallied a 5.48 ERA in 44 1/3 innings before undergoing season-ending finger surgery at the end of September. The Padres non-tendered him at the end of the season."

Seems to be a typical Sox signing and has been mentioned he played for the Royals. 😆

9 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Has been solid up until last year. 

Nothing to get excited over but he is still better then bummer and lot cheaper (this matters to jerry)

lol this guy isn’t close to as good as Bummer. Some Sox fans are so jaded by Bummer, who is actually a very good lefty reliever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For those keeping track at home, former Royals added by Getz/Pedro

• Martin Maldonado: 37-years-old, -1.2 fWAR
  • Tim Hill: 33-years-old, -0.4 fWAR
  • Nicky Lopez: 28-years-old, 1.1 fWAR

Half of the major league free agents signed are former Royals from the tail end Pedro's KC tenure, when they were bad.

They are also old.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

They’re signing as many roster fillers as they can while slashing the budget an insane amount.

And I totally get the DeJong signing.  Need a cheap placeholder at SS so you don’t feel rushed into promoting Montgomery before he is ready.  And for $1M over the rookie minimum, I think having a veteran is worth it.

Meanwhile, this Hill dude is best case scenario pitching like 50 total innings and offers zero upside whatsoever.  Paying $1.8M for him vs. any scrap heap waiver wire add or AAAA free agent with some stuff but no control makes no sense to me.  But at least he will help make Grifol’s job easier by not having to be a leader.

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Relievers are the biggest crapshoot in baseball. At 1.8 and under Bannister maybe he can show some improvement and easily net a flier at trade deadline or digest some lefty innings. The crying over this one makes you all sound like whiny know it alls 

At 34 years old and given his K/9 the last two seasons, I sure as hell wouldn’t put my money on it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

I was just about to ask if he's flippable. Yikes.

Actually I'm looking at his fangraphs page and he could very well be semi flippable at the deadline.

He's a GB pitcher which with the help of a good IF defense may make him look somewhat decent. Also his HR/FB rate, BABIP and LOB were unsustainably bad last year. 

Given all the retreads, injury-prone stiffs, flotsam and jetsam the Sox are signing reminds me of one of the opening scenes in "Major League" where the grounds keepers are basically saying "this is all s%*#..."

The good news is that by Memorial Day we can forget about the season and just start breaking out the VHS tapes and DVD's of Sox games from better times earlier this year. 

18 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

It’s a pointless signing but it’s not really worth getting upset about either. Which is what you can say about virtually their entire offseason so far.

yup, it's going to be a horrible offseason, and it's been pretty obvious for some time now as far back as the trade deadline. Guess what? It's not going to get any better once the season starts either.

10 minutes ago, T R U said:

"I feel like everytime I see Bummer pitch he does bad" does not outweigh statistical data.

Sometimes "statistical data" does not end in positive results between the lines.  Which is the case for Bummer. And it's been a few seasons of "bad luck" results.  He is what he is, great stuff but bad baseball results.