Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They tore down all the housing projects. I took the Green Line to Comiskey as a kid in the 1970s and 1980s. It was OK then, better now. There is plenty of room for parking lots across the Dan Ryan south of 35th / IIT.

Build a lit fan walkway to / from the stadium across the DR beyond the existing 35th street sidewalk with the thousands of more fans using on game days.

There would be police, Sox parking lot security and traffic aids across the DR as there are now where parking exists.
Also could have / can build parking structures like the Yankees and other teams and downtown has. Doesn’t have to be acres of inefficient flat land.

Would work if the team stayed, Jerry / New Owner purchased the current stadium and surrounding land / parking lots currently owned by the ISFA from the state, plus new unoccupied lane east of the DR, built significant retail and business development. State extinguishes current debt, Sox get infrastructure handouts and stadium plus land for much less than a private purchase, win win for everyone.

The Sox would own it all / profit from the stadium and substantial real estate development. All the transportation infrastructure is already in place, the land is ready without significant environmental remediation. They would have more land (70 acres vs. 62 or less on the 78 parcel) plus whatever additional land they acquire east of the DR or west adjacent to the current property.

Could build a Bears Stadium on 78, or something else once you stabilize downtown in terms of replacing the collapsed demand for office space with conversions to residential over the next decade or two. More important to focus on restoring safety downtown at this point to facilitate long term viability then fret over accommodating 81 game days for a private business.

Back in the 70's my dad would park us on the neighborhood streets several blocks south of old Comiskey (it was allowed back then). He would turn down the kids on the block who offered to "watch" our car for 5 bucks and we would hoof it all the way to and back from the game.

Obviously still alive today to tell about it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Illinois Institute of Technology

Home to 7,000 students, and over a thousand employees, 3 Nobel Prize Laureates.

Located east of Comiskey Park II.

pl_main_aerial_042-860x375.jpg

city-campus-nite-shotv550x275.jpg

When I was there a little over 15 years ago, it wasn't that great.  I'm sure it's changed since.  But, during that time, it wasn't that wise to walk around over there at night.  We would get alerts all the time of packs of younger kids that were attacking and mugging students if they were out late walking to and from, generally the student center (top right under the long tube).  The campus itself wasn't bad, but usually most wouldn't go too far from Crown, to the student center or to their dorms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpringfieldFan said:

Back in the 70's my dad would park us on the neighborhood streets several blocks south of old Comiskey (it was allowed back then). He would turn down the kids on the block who offered to "watch" our car for 5 bucks and we would hoof it all the way to and back from the game.

Obviously still alive today to tell about it.

We also parked by the school on Princeton which is now the Air Force Academy High School. Stop in McCuddy's and then off to the game. Have a much further walk to the new stadium either west of Halsted or north of 29th. Only paid twice to park at the 42 MLB stadiums i have visited (need new Atlanta, Miami and Texas to complete the current 30 stadiums), or took public transportation:

• Yankee Stadium 3.0 - Limited street parking, didn't want to deal with vandalized / stolen car having to drive to Connecticut after the night game.
  • Royals Stadium - Arrived near game time after driving from an afternoon game at Busch Stadium, and didn't have time to figure out street parking or walking to / from stadium pre phone internet with their enormous parking lot cut off by I-70.

Always parked on near Cullerton & 18th/19th west of the tracks for Soldier Field, Warren for Hawks games after we learned and west of Lincoln Ave for Cubs games. Many games at both Detroit Tigers  and both Milwaukee Brewers stadiums as well over the years and everywhere else. Never had an issue anywhere.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

People don't go to the bars around Wrigley all that much if there is no game. I read an article a couple of years ago about Goose Island who had an outpost there. They lost their lease. The landlord wanted to go month to month but they couldn't do it because if he pulled it right before the season started, they would lose a ton of money. A lot of turnover around there.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Wrigleyville is a haven of 20 somethings year round. 

And Goose Island lost their lease because the property was sold and the building torn down to make way for the huge development that went up there with the Lucky Strike & Shake Shack in it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pcq said:

This one is a head-scratcher. If JR is basically the Trump of Chicago in real estate, did he do anything of note to make Bridgeport/ Armor Square a more desirable destination. I know there were a number of upgrades made east of the Ryan before the bubble burst in 2008 but if JR is our Chicago RE mogul what hath he wrought??

What real estate involvement has he really had in the last 20+ years? He made his money in it ages ago, but his wealth is tied up in the teams.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I feel like they will find a way to get it done, but yup, I’d probably have to move to Alaska if they fucked this up

Alaska is a fun place. Spent part of a summer there with a college league team. 

I don't want to be a buzzkill but it's kind of underwhelming, once I get over the initial excitement? Like, the renderings look... good, not great? And then also consider that what we see in the renderings vs. what we actually get is usually way less exciting (go back and look at what the new Rangers stadium was supposed to be).

It doesn't look like much outfield seating and no outfield terrace. And the terraced steps outside left field looks like an awful waste of space.

I do think the concourse outside of centerfield could be really cool with restaurants etc, especially if they can get a permit to enclose the area and make it open container.

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I don't want to be a buzzkill but it's kind of underwhelming, once I get over the initial excitement? Like, the renderings look... good, not great? And then also consider that what we see in the renderings vs. what we actually get is usually way less exciting (go back and look at what the new Rangers stadium was supposed to be).

It doesn't look like much outfield seating and no outfield terrace. And the terraced steps outside left field looks like an awful waste of space.

I do think the concourse outside of centerfield could be really cool with restaurants etc, especially if they can get a permit to enclose the area and make it open container.

I disagree. It reminds me of Petco in Sandiego with grass seating and probably a small park that can be used by the public when the team is out of town. Builds fans of kids who play there. 

• Like 5