ST Thread

pcq

15 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Jimmy, anything new on the Cease front?

You implied the other day things were heating up with BAL again.

Why do you torture yourself about the Orioles. ? They move slow. They will reassess the health of their pitchers in a month . In the meantime they might find a quick fix like Lorezen if he isn't too rich for them.

Would you give up Mike Soroka or Touki Toussaint for Santander ? The O's more than likely wouldn't do that. But would you ? I would, even though the Sox OF seems full now you can delay playing Fletcher to flip Santander. Santander might be flipped for a better prospect than Soroka will be eventually.

Seems like Santander could be traded by the Os maybe along with a prospect to get immediate SP help better than Soroka,  but who needs a RF for 1 year and is willing to give up a decent SP ? Maybe Hays for 2 years gets you a little more. Cease is still going to have to pitch well this season to convince the O's to give up more than they offered before and that goes for anyone else who thought the Sox were asking too much for Cease.

It's a big gamble by Getz but if he feels the offers weren't good enough so be it. But you're barking up the wrong tree if you are expecting anything soon.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&rost=&age=&filter=&players=0&team=0&pos=rf

Santander is the 13th ranked qualified RFer with a 2.6 fWAR.  He’s the textbook definition of a solid player. 

Teoscar is way down that list due to defensive limitations.

Highly doubt they will trade him or Mullins.   Hays Mountcastle O’Hearn much more expendable...

14 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

It’s very easy to navigate right now. The Sox have tons of guys they could cut who would likely clear waivers and in the event that they don’t, it’s not some devastating loss. They should absolutely be using this time to upgrade the 40-man when possible.

In general I agree with you. When you have a talented 40 that's a roster crunch . When you are a bottom feeder your concern is all these bums are pretty much the same , I really hope I don't give up the one guy who will end up being a good player. But when you can't develop your own players, that's going to be on your mind. But yea ,I'm not concerned with giving up 27 and 28 yr olds at this point who have little value . There is no roster crunch. They have 70 guys in camp which tells you there's no roster crunch. Anyone among those NRIs who makes the squad is fine by me. I doubt anyone will rue the day the Sox let Banks, Peralta , or Sheets go. We're not exactly talking about letting go Fernando Tatis Jr. here.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&rost=&age=&filter=&players=0&team=0&pos=rf

Santander is the 13th ranked qualified RFer with a 2.6 fWAR.  He’s the textbook definition of a solid player. 

Highly doubt they will trade him or Mullins.   Hays Mountcastle O’Hearn much more expendable...

Actually from what I understand there have always been a lot of Santander trade talk in the past . I think even some White Sox rumors too.

Santander and Hays get asked about more than Mullins now because Santander is the closest to Free agency and Hays just had a better year than Mullins who is viewed as slowed down a bit by age and injuries.

It's not really about who more expendable. It's about getting value now for guys going to Free agency. The Rays trade guys before they get too expensive while contending and plug in younger guys. Os need to get the ball rolling in their OF and on top of that need starting pitching.

They need to get their asses in gear before they regret not getting assets for impending free agents and fritter away a season where it's possible to win a World Series . The Rays would have traded Santander 1 -1.5 years ago.

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

‘‘I want to take a different approach, which is more effective. Just keep it a little more intimate and get a chance to look at each other in the eyes and just send that message of how important my message is in our message as an organization.’’

😵😵😵

Edited by Snopek

4 minutes ago, Snopek said:

‘‘I want to take a different approach, which is more effective. Just keep it a little more intimate and get a chance to look at each other in the eyes and just send that message of how important my message is in our message as an organization.’’

😵😵😵

It’s like laughingstock stuff.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Snopek said:

😵😵😵

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7h0sd4eoi1jf52v2v34

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

There is a decent chance that some young guy the White Sox dump from their 40 man this year (Romy, Sosa, Colas, Lee etc.) goes on to be a quality player with some other team.

It might not count as a 40 man crunch but they've created something truly weird here, where they are absolutely overloaded with NRIs and they have a manager who already has indicated he would rather play a 40 year old NRI than a promising kid. Maybe it's a "voluntary roster crunch" or a "managerial roster crunch", because the manager wants the vets and the kids have to be dumped as a consequence.

For every NRI they add, there's a Scholtens or Tim Hill they can let go.  They shouldn't have to touch any in that you mentioned (maybe Romy).

1 hour ago, Snopek said:

He’s becoming a parody of himself.

It shows how detached from reality this organization is. Using BPs determination they have a 0,0 % shot at the playoffs as bulletin board material? Has he looked at the roster? Saying these guys are playing for their careers, aren’t mediocre at best players always doing that? Or are these guys so super talented and we’re only available for peanuts because they sucked because they didn’t try?  None of the spin makes any sense at all.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It shows how detached from reality this organization is. Using BPs determination they have a 0,0 % shot at the playoffs as bulletin board material? Has he looked at the roster? Saying these guys are playing for their careers, aren’t mediocre at best players always doing that? Or are these guys so super talented and we’re only available for peanuts because they sucked because they didn’t try?  None of the spin makes any sense at all.

It's the lack of respect they have for the fans that really gets us. Not even casual fans think this team is going anywhere this season.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

If you go to their projections for this year, Teoscar has projections ranging from 2.5 fWAR to 1.7 fWAR.

Santander has projections from 2.6 to 1.7 fWAR. 

Furthermore, Santander via Fangraphs, the last 2 years, is at -11.9 and -11.1 on defensive value. Teoscar is at -8.4 and -6.4. The guy. you said is downgraded due to "Defensive limitations" actually was better on defense each of the last two years, at least in the Fangraphs version.

They're very similar. Santander might project a tiny bit better, but not a whole lot. 

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If you go to their projections for this year, Teoscar has projections ranging from 2.5 fWAR to 1.7 fWAR.

Santander has projections from 2.6 to 1.7 fWAR. 

Furthermore, Santander via Fangraphs, the last 2 years, is at -11.9 and -11.1 on defensive value. Teoscar is at -8.4 and -6.4. The guy. you said is downgraded due to "Defensive limitations" actually was better on defense each of the last two years, at least in the Fangraphs version.

They're very similar. Santander might project a tiny bit better, but not a whole lot. 

Put AJ Pollock in the Dodgers' lineup, he'd at least be a 1.5-2.0 fWAR player.