White Sox agree to minor league deal with Brad Keller

Ugh. Are they gonna plow through every single washed up bullpen arm on the planet?  I mean, I guess it's low risk, but it reveals a mindset of trying to build a 'pen whose average age is 38.  I'd really like to see more opportunity for guys like Leasure and Speas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

This whole off season has been as bizarre as can be. What exactly is Getz’s game plan?

I mean it's pretty obvious the plan is to field a team while spending around the least money possible. Is what it is. Just wait until July when we've got 5 guys injured, you'll really see some stiffs.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

This whole off season has been as bizarre as can be. What exactly is Getz’s game plan?

To fill out a roster with cheap guys you can easily cut while you wait for the younger guys to come up and take their place. Also hope some of them give you a little something so you can trade them at the deadline. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I mean it's pretty obvious the plan is to field a team while spending around the least money possible. Is what it is. Just wait until July when we've got 5 guys injured, you'll really see some stiffs.

Some of this is still a little bit weird. The obsession with the Royals is a little bit weird. Seemingly over-buying on veterans, I have no idea where they think they have roster spots for all these guys, and I'm the one who complained the most about lack of depth the last 3 years. Some of the money they spent on these veterans is a little excessive for a team trying to massively cut payroll (Maldonado is tops on that list). 

Otherwise, despite the weirdness this would mostly be fine - if we weren't also making moves like the trades with the D-Backs and Cubs, where we gave away lower-level minor league pieces for back of the roster pieces to help improve the team now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Some of this is still a little bit weird. The obsession with the Royals is a little bit weird. Seemingly over-buying on veterans, I have no idea where they think they have roster spots for all these guys, and I'm the one who complained the most about lack of depth the last 3 years. Some of the money they spent on these veterans is a little excessive for a team trying to massively cut payroll (Maldonado is tops on that list). 

Otherwise, despite the weirdness this would mostly be fine - if we weren't also making moves like the trades with the D-Backs and Cubs, where we gave away lower-level minor league pieces for back of the roster pieces to help improve the team now.

I think in totality it's been a decent offseason. I just don't think you can judge Getz until he's got a couple years under his belt. It's hard for me to care too much about any and all the moves until we see if he's improved the Sox' overall talent by 2026.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I think in totality it's been a decent offseason. I just don't think you can judge Getz until he's got a couple years under his belt. It's hard for me to care too much about any and all the moves until we see if he's improved the Sox' overall talent by 2026.

I remain somewhat concerned that in a couple years we'll be regretting those two deals where we traded away the minor league pitchers, but other than that - they cleared out some guys they needed to move, one who I didn't even think was movable at all, and they avoided any gigantic "convert my 61 win team into a title contender" trades or signings that set them back years without much benefit, as has been their M.O. for the last 11 years. 

But seriously, this Royal obsession is straight up weird.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I remain somewhat concerned that in a couple years we'll be regretting those two deals where we traded away the minor league pitchers, but other than that - they cleared out some guys they needed to move, one who I didn't even think was movable at all, and they avoided any gigantic "convert my 61 win team into a title contender" trades or signings that set them back years without much benefit, as has been their M.O. for the last 11 years. 

But seriously, this Royal obsession is straight up weird.

It would even be more weird if some other team had an obsession with ex-Sox players and signed a bunch of them.

• Haha 2

Thinking back to the TA/Keller thing, what a huge bummer the ways things have played out. TA flamed out with the Sox in embarrassing fashion and now we have the cowardly pitcher who got offended by a bat flip. 

• Fire 3

31 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Some of this is still a little bit weird. The obsession with the Royals is a little bit weird.

Obsession? These are most probably pitchers that Bannister has worked with in the past. We've also signed some guys who were with him on the Giants. It's a minor league signing. We need to fill out a pitching staff at AAA, too. If he's got anything left in the tank and is a small fix away from being a 5th starter option, so be it. The injury to Scholtens and Touki's disastrous outings highlight the need for fungible arms. 

• Like 2