Garrett Crochet named Opening Day starter

Might as well get as many "starts" as you can before he clutches his elbow or shoulder. They used to call these guys openers. Maybe they think the bullpen gets a day off on Friday, so the short start won't matter as much. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The jury is still out on this one and you are somehow claiming victory?

Crochet has been one of the 3 best starters this spring on this team. It's exciting, and great for a veteran White Sox pitcher to get the opening day start over a newcomer. I'm not sure how you extract "victory" from that, but sure. I understand that every single move the Sox make must be framed in the worst light: Stupid move, everybody will get injured, OMG! starting their free agency clock early, they should try to lose every game while we all scream how they're losing every game, nail down that #10 pick. If Getz and Grifol succeed, my entire world collapses!!!

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, WestEddy said:

Crochet has been one of the 3 best starters this spring on this team. It's exciting, and great for a veteran White Sox pitcher to get the opening day start over a newcomer. I'm not sure how you extract "victory" from that, but sure. I understand that every single move the Sox make must be framed in the worst light: Stupid move, everybody will get injured, OMG! starting their free agency clock early, they should try to lose every game while we all scream how they're losing every game, nail down that #10 pick. If Getz and Grifol succeed, my entire world collapses!!!

The argument is that Crochet’s arm won’t hold up and that he should be making this conversion to starter in the minors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I presume its an opener role and he is going 2-3 innings - hopefully 2-3 scoreless innings and given off-days and everything else and fact Sox don't really have anyone that "earned" it, I suppose it makes sense. I don't buy into he is any more at risk going on opening day than another day or that because it is colder he is more at risk. They are professional athletes and are going to train and prep and warm-up.  

If he is that fragile - what should they do - sit him out all of March/April cause it could be cold?  And I get it - he might actually be that fragile - but if he is - he'll be back on the DL regardless.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The argument is that Crochet’s arm won’t hold up and that he should be making this conversion to starter in the minors.

Throwing a baseball exerts the same strain on an arm regardless of whether one's throwing to AAA or MLB hitters. All throwing in the minors does is preserve an extra year of control. I know this is baby-think, but maybe making Crochet a starter on his request and giving him opening day buys some goodwill, and an extension for a couple of years. Guy's only 24. 

• Like 1

yowza. love to see it. makes me think Crochet and Kopech's powers combined could actually make for a good pitcher that regularly throws 6 innings and only walks 5 batters.

the glass half full fan in me says that the pitching staff is actually in pretty good shape. a lot of talented pitchers who cost nothing and have many years of control left. one hopes that the Feddes and Flexens of the team play at least well enough to be traded for someone under the age of 25. and that the Sox spend that money they've saved on the bullpen in free agency on an actual useful position player like Ha-Seong Kim. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Heaven forbid you allow for legitimate critique of an org that has a lengthy history of making dumb, backwards, and shortsighted moves. Anything that isn't 100% effusive gets that special all or nothing sycophantic hyperbole from you. It's tired.

Yeah, Crochet has looked fantastic this spring, in all of 9 innings. But let's just shove the only name fans will recognize into an opening day start when he hasn't started a game in the bigs... ever? I mean, nothing to question or critique there. Nothing could possibly go wrong. 1000% sound wisdom from JR's Yes-Man brain trust.

For f***'s Sake.

• Like 3
  • Fire 2

21 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I presume its an opener role and he is going 2-3 innings - hopefully 2-3 scoreless innings and given off-days and everything else and fact Sox don't really have anyone that "earned" it, I suppose it makes sense. I don't buy into he is any more at risk going on opening day than another day or that because it is colder he is more at risk. They are professional athletes and are going to train and prep and warm-up.  

If he is that fragile - what should they do - sit him out all of March/April cause it could be cold?  And I get it - he might actually be that fragile - but if he is - he'll be back on the DL regardless.  

I’d like to keep him in Charlotte to get several pressure free starts, in warmer weather, to see how he holds up doing what he hasn’t done since the 2010s with limited inning starts at Tennessee.

Feels like 2020 Game 3, or rushing Liam after 5 poor IP post cancer spring training/Charlotte rehab innings. 

They spent six months tearing down the team and assuring 0 games will matter in 2024. Yet between the guys they brought in, their likely opening day roster, and this decision, they continue to operate as they did throughout 2023 as though any of these games matter beyond player evaluation and player development.

Getz built a 60ish win team. Operate accordingly.

Crochet’s 12 1/3 Innings as a 2020s Starter:

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Well...this is the diametrical opposite of the SoxTalkers consensus of holding him down at Charlotte to claim back a year of control.

You called this one.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

O/U: 2.1 IP

The bullpen is gonna get fucked for the rest of the season on day freaking one.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Don’t we frequently have that exact issue with multiple players on this team?